Low resting heart rate / postural hypotension

plankton_brain
plankton_brain Posts: 99
Does anyone suffer from (self diagnosed) postural hypotension? (essentially going dizzy when you get up from rest)

I seem to get it quite a lot when I am training a lot; it seems to get worse when I am fitter.

I have started to record my heart rate as soon as I wake up every morning and it is between 37-39. Seems to be a bit higher 42-44 the day after a big session (4-5 hour road ride), so Ill have a rest day. Then back to 37-39 the day after.

Is the low RHR and fainting related?

Do others experience the same?

For reference, 44 years old, 69KG, 188MHR

Comments

• johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    I have the same problem in exactly the same circumstances - the fitter I get, the more I get dizzy.
    I don't worry about it, low BP better than high and as long as you don't fall down the stairs there shouldn't be too much off a problem. :shock:
    You might be able to reduce it if you prepare yourself for standing up, so when getting up in the morning, sit up for a minute, then swing your legs out of bed, then go for it . If sitting for a while, it seems to help to take a couple of big breaths before attempting to stand.
    If you are bothered then see your GP but make sure he/she knows you exercise, else they'll have you off to a cardiologist to be assessed for a pace maker :lol:
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Have you checked your hematocrit levels?
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Have you checked your hematocrit levels?

Before or after EPO?
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I suffer from this too. I find that drinking a pint of milk immediately after training helps a lot
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    This is a common problem for many people, often random for no reason but if this is happening regular then please see your GP. For everyone your BP can just drop when you get up, if you are prone to this, then do not get up straight away, sit upright, do some moderate deep breathing and you can also raise your ankles toward your shins repeatedly, this helps to raise your BP back upwards, get up and it will help, if you do go dizzy sit back down.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • Its comforting to know its reasonably common, and consensus is that its not a big problem.

I actually quite like the feeling of going super light headed, as long as its not damaging me.
  • dzp1
    dzp1 Posts: 54
    upping my carbs seemed to fix this for me. But I'm sure its not that simple for everyone.
  • liter
    liter Posts: 58
    Eating more salt might help
  • joe.90
    joe.90 Posts: 171
    I had this for a long time. Was nasty. I nearly fainted many a time.

I found increasing my food intake helped.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Johncp wrote:
    You might be able to reduce it if you prepare yourself for standing up

Yes raise your heart rate before standing up by getting proper physced. Start shouting at yourself, thumping your chest, then rip your shirt off in a fit of rage "Come on, I can stand up. Oorah !" Don't forget to high five everyone in the room afterwards.

Stand up when your heart rate gets above 30 bpm, if the heart rate doesn't increase then get the jump leads out.

I heard Miguel Indurain was that fit, his heart beated once every 2 weeks.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby