2»

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    gabriel959 wrote:

Some very good points by DonDaddyD btw.
    Thanks
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Thanks for the tips, guys.

Interesting re weather in Cyprus vs Mallorca. I had been convinced Cyprus would be warmer. Maybe mainland Spain or canaries (though noted re long flight not being much fun).

It doesn't have to be then, I guess, but we are both desperate for some sun, fresh air, a rest and a change of scenery. And if we don't go in April, it has to be school holidays (ie after his summer term) by which point the med is too hot. So we'd either go to the alps, or Cornwall, I think.

We'll see.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Blimey, this sounds brave!

We did a week abroad when mrmonkfingerjnr was three months, and visited the in-laws in their foreign gaffe down the South of France, timed to coincide with their holiday. It was great. They were quite happy to look after the little monster for an hour or two during the week. We ditched the idea of cycling and just went out running to get some activity fixes. Required kit was an extra pair of trainers - bit easier to pack than a bike.

I definitely wouldn't go the childcare abroad route - too paranoid. Also, we've done cycling holidays and I just can't imagine how the luggage situation would work for starters. You'd need a team of sherpas to meet you at the airport.

But, good luck!
  • we are both desperate for some sun, fresh air, a rest and a change of scenery.

Left field suggestion: Dubai or one of those ME fabricated holiday destinations. Use the hotel gym.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Just make sure these two aren't your pilots ireland%2520march%25202008%2520065.jpg

My daughter on the right and they did actually fly that aircraft with a bit of daddy help of course :-)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    His parents are on the other side of the world? Well if it of somewhere hot that time of year you are sorted. In-law credits, free babysitting, possibly free accommodation and food. Spend the money on some activity stuff. Possibly have a night away without Klingon too.

I'm impressed, my mini monkey man is 7 months and i still have to prise the wife away from him. I'd like to spend more time with him as he is doing fun stuff like learning to roll and experiencing things. Of that was somewhere warm with good good and wine it would be great. Could i be bothered to go cycling? No. I'd look for somewhere with a pool or warm sea, good restaurant, nice walks, maybe child care to allow a meal out without worry.

Good luck
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    itboffin wrote:
    Just make sure these two aren't your pilots ireland%2520march%25202008%2520065.jpg

My daughter on the right and they did actually fly that aircraft with a bit of daddy help of course :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593

Watch out for kids in the cockpit!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    itboffin wrote:

Assuming that one of 'the Queens' aircraft?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Funny thing is, you just know il principe is reading this thread with bated breath!

No I'm not. We're sorted. Wife's family live in Antalya on the sunny Turkish south coast. Sister has a lovely flat nr the beach with a big spare room, Mum, Dad and sister will all be fighting to babysit as ours will be the first baby in the family.

Oh and Bro-in Law works at the airport so already gets us onto flights before everyone else etc.

Oh and Antalya is surrounded by mountains and regularly hosts a stage of the Tour of Turkey, so in the future I should be able to get some riding in as well.

8)
  • The hottest I have ever been was in Antalya. The humidity was unbearable. We bought ice creams and watched water vapour freeze from the air around them and fall to the ground. It's the only place where I have sweated profusely lying down after a cold shower in what should have been a cool half-underground room with the curtains drawn.

The worst thing was that the sea was even fecking hotter than the air.

I was there for a couple of days many years ago, but I have absolutely no doubt that every day is the same there. Cycling in those conditions will kill a man. To death.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    The hottest I have ever been was in Antalya. The humidity was unbearable. We bought ice creams and watched water vapour freeze from the air around them and fall to the ground. It's the only place where I have sweated profusely lying down after a cold shower in what should have been a cool half-underground room with the curtains drawn.

The worst thing was that the sea was even ******* hotter than the air.

I was there for a couple of days many years ago, but I have absolutely no doubt that every day is the same there. Cycling in those conditions will kill a man. To death.

Well, you don't go in July or August that's for damn sure. But the rest of the year is fine, and it's cooler up in the hills. I don't do the sea.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Funny thing is, you just know il principe is reading this thread with bated breath!

No I'm not. We're sorted. Wife's family live in Antalya on the sunny Turkish south coast. Sister has a lovely flat nr the beach with a big spare room, Mum, Dad and sister will all be fighting to babysit as ours will be the first baby in the family.

Oh and Bro-in Law works at the airport so already gets us onto flights before everyone else etc.

Oh and Antalya is surrounded by mountains and regularly hosts a stage of the Tour of Turkey, so in the future I should be able to get some riding in as well.

8)
    All sorted then. Fair do's.

You decided on a car yet? How long to go?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    gtvlusso wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Assuming that one of 'the Queens' aircraft?

I believe it was in fact one in which she used quite frequently in the 50s
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You decided on a car yet? How long to go?

April. Not getting a car. Not for as long as we remain in London.