Cycling holiday with baby

londonlivvy
londonlivvy Posts: 644
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
As many of you know, the boyf and I decided to complicate our lives and have a small bean. Who's fab, obviously, but who complicates things somewhat. As many of you are parents and also lovers of bikes I'm hoping your collective wisdom will be able to sort us out with a brilliant holiday that combines both.

Boyf and I want to go on holiday mid April (no choice about this as its around his uni dates - he's doing a masters). Originally we'd thought about skiing but think its likely to be a bit grassy by then. So thought of a cycling / active hols instead. Now he has had enough of cycling in the rain, so was thinking canaries / Crete / Cyprus for semi guaranteed warmth and safeish roads and a short flight. Though I'm told that canaries are hellish windy? Anyway, regardless of destination, so that I can cycle/have a sleep/ have time to read a trashy mag we will need a hotel with some sort of child care options. Child will be approx 5 months by mid April.

Thoughts? Suggestions? The mark Warner / neilson things don't start til May and the powder Byrne and Scott dunn hols are excruciatingly expensive.

Thanks everyone

Comments

• First off, many congrats!

Now, down to business. Cycling holiday with baby. Hmm.

Ok, practicalities. Are you going to take it in turns to go cycling, or use child care to look after jnr? Are you going to take your own bikes (because the idea of taking bikes and luggage and a baby and luggage for a baby causes even me to raise an eyebrow at your ambition).

Realism: knackered much? As I recall, we went on our first foreign jaunt with 66 major at five months or so. We were crushed. She'd had colic for three months and pretty much refused to sleep anywhere other than on us. All we wanted was a rest. We went to Barcelona and did a bit of sightseeing.

Holidays are pretty good times for big developmental steps because jnr has you both all to him/her (which is it, btw) self. We had a v cheap break in Venice in a s/c apartment just loafing around. How keen are you to do proper active stuff?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Congratulations!!!

Assume you have a van or a bus?

You mean you actually have some money! Man, I was and still am held to ransom by kids and costs! Our single most expensive yearly outgoing is the family holiday - It fecking breaks the bank!

As for biking holidays, they left during the deterioration of my fashion sense.....There is just too much to organise carry and think about with kids. Little juniors can do nothing! Crawling ones can cause mischief and will whinge if something is not instant and running ones are just insane and won't sit in a bike seat for more than 30 mins.

In all seriousness, the only place we found in the UK was in Cornwall; They pretty much do everything for you: http://bedruthan.com/ - They have baby monitoring, so, you can leave junior in bed while you nip downstairs to get bladdered and have a romantic meal...for once.

However, childcare comes at a price - either it goes with you at your cost - or you take the chance and find it locally......

We found some places in France, but again - it was rolling on for £1k per week including local childcare (1 year and over) + ferry + fuel + food.

Kids eh!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    leave baby at home with Grandma.

go on holiday.

that's what we do.

It's great.
  • +1

Holiday are best 9 months before babies not 5 months after.

That said we took our first abroad twice before her first birthday. The first time we took grandparents along to Tenerife, and the second time just the three of us went to Sorrento. Mum and Dad took turns to be active, but mostly it was all about chilling.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • My cycling ambitions are quite small. A couple of hour long explores would do me. And I'd be happy on a rental bike. I would also like to do some pottering about and even (if location permitted) a couple of hours sailing. that would make me very happy. The boyf wants to do crit racing this summer so will inevitably have bigger cycling ambitions and that will probably mean his own bike. Or a very nice rental bike.

Child care wise, I can't see us taking it in turns as he just wouldn't. So if I want freedom (which I do, albeit in a low key way, a couple of hours a day without having to think about & tend to every need of small baby would be ace) then we need to out source that. My parents are old and not suitable. His mum is bloody brilliant but sadly lives on the other side of the world so isn't an option.

Location wise, we have a great option already in Cornwall, my parents. Who, whilst old and not suitable for active care of baby are very happy to be left with a baby monitor whilst we go to the pub. Or go for a walk at lunchtime. Or whatever. But south Cornwall weather isn't reliable and the cycling isn't, in my experience, all that. It's either tiny tiny 20% steep lanes which locals use too fast, or fast scary a roads.

Gtvlusso We have some money still. He's at uni three nights a week after work and is studying the rest of the time and I'm at home with a baby. Spending money opportunities are slim! I suspect this gets less the case with time and we will be in the eurocamp arena (or hols at my parents).

You have a point re tiredness, Greg. I'm shattered from looking after the baby and he's shattered from work and uni. But neither of us are any good at endlessly sitting about. So some stuff to do would be ace. Preferably with two wheels :lol:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    07.04.2013 Paris - Roubaix France --
    14.04.2013 Amstel Gold Race Netherlands --
    17.04.2013 La Flèche Wallonne Belgium --
    21.04.2013 Liège - Bastogne - Liège Belgium --

Pick one.

Nice cafes, great beer, mussels with chips.....what's not to like?

rvv09-muur.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Oh gawd tailwindhome boyf would love that I feel sure. I feel less excited by the prospect of Belgian weather, however.

Does anyone know whether the cycling in Cyprus is any good?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577

Does anyone know whether the cycling in Cyprus is any good?

Cycling in Cyprus can be fabulous, but some of it not so good.

Myself and my gf went there a few years back, rented our own place, and did some mountain bike guided tours with a company called mountainbike cyprus - they also rent some reasonable (shimano 105 equipped if I recall) road bikes, so we hired two of them for the duration, and went on 3 guided mountain bike tours - they also lend you camelbak type affairs, which is necessary out there, and we used them when exploring on the roadbikes too.
    Most of the rural roadbiking was lovely, some of the more congested cities not so, but getting down to the beach was a lovely ride - and there are plenty of hills in Cyprus if you want to seek them out :-)

They (Al and Kirsty - ex Brit squaddies) collect you from the airport, and will probably take you to a supermarket or two if you ask nicely :-)

It worked out as a very good value holiday, but as to childcare, that I am not sure about, having said that, they may know of a hotel that offers such bonuses.

My only other query would be as to what the weather is like in April - I've only been in September when it is generally pretty good.

Be interested to hear how you get on, and good luck.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Thanks Daniel. That sounds like a great company to know. I'll drop them a line as if they've been there a while they may well know of hotels with childcare or some other cunning plan.

Yay. I knew bike radar would come up trumps again.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I am really sorry but I can't really see how you will be able to do some cycling or sailing if your partner is not prepared to share the burden of the baby's needs, unless you can convince your parents to go with you on holiday or you are prepared to leave the baby with strangers that you trust. We are going to Allant (in Galan, Mid-Pyrenees) who offer free babysitting service for up to 3 hours but even then I imagine we will take it in turns to take care of our 4 month old baby.

May be you should wait until after the summer, the baby will be 8 months or so by then (eating solids and also be able to sit up).

Is the baby not breastfeeding anyway?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • gabriel959
    sorry if that came out a bit blunt but I reckon the taking care of the baby is key here. I know because I have done it and am doing it again, in similar circumstances to yours, this summer.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Why?

It is your job now to suffer then suffer some more and when you think its getting better ....No its only just getting started.

Your only reward is you get to travel on a packed aircraft with all those people whoever left their little monsters at home, shame on them.

PS. I also do motivational speeches, marriage guidance and baby sitting.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Gabriel, yes I am breastfeeding but with the wonders of expressing I should be able to get the odd couple of hours' freedom without worry. I am happy to leave her with appropriate, well qualified, strangers, occasionally, otherwise it's not actually much of a holiday for me, just the same job without all the ease of home. Boyf hasn't ever had sole charge of her and I think he'd prefer us to either do things as a family, or as a couple, rather than tag team parenting. Hence the search for appropriate child care on site.

ITB. Thanks. Such words of wisdom.
  • itboffin
    Let's cut to the chase have you tried the breast milk?

I did its foul I really can't see what babies see in it.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Congratulations on the baby :)

Majorca would satisfy the cycling part for both of you (including quality bike rental). I'm sure some of the cycle tour companies or bike rental companies could assist in finding baby sitting/child care (I have no experience of this part but you cannot be the first person to have this requirement)
  • Boyf hasn't ever had sole charge of her and I think he'd prefer us to either do things as a family, or as a couple

I might be out of place here (I'm a bottle of Merlot in...) but it sounds (to me) like he needs to MTFU and do his bit! 5 months and he hasn't looked after the little one so you can do your own thing for a couple of hours? For shame!
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • itboffin wrote:
    Let's cut to the chase have you tried the breast milk?

I did its foul I really can't see what babies see in it.

Did you try getting the mother pissed first?

Quite difficult to served chilled from the source though, I'll grant you.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    Its these oh so practical tips why I like you, some times
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,561
    There's a couple of BR users who do touring ops who may have some advice, give them a PM.

"MRC1" and "mallorcajeff".
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Boyf hasn't ever had sole charge of her and I think he'd prefer us to either do things as a family, or as a couple

I might be out of place here (I'm a bottle of Merlot in...) but it sounds (to me) like he needs to MTFU and do his bit! 5 months and he hasn't looked after the little one so you can do your own thing for a couple of hours? For shame!

never mind him MTFUing, he is missing out.
  • Sounds like you need a van. We took wee-un at 5 months round France with no problems, including bikes, but obviously had to take turns at going for rides while the other child-cared. Also did the Dolomites last year.

An old VW with a semi conversion, lifting roof, bags of space inside for sleeping/bike storage etc. Not expensive to buy or run.

Swap one of your cars for a VW Transporter and never look back.
  • Boyf hasn't ever had sole charge of her and I think he'd prefer us to either do things as a family, or as a couple

never mind him MTFUing, he is missing out.

Well she's only 11 weeks right now, and he possibly is missing out, but unfortunately a full time job and doing a part time masters mean he really has no time. He spends at least 6 hours a day studying every weekend. He does do the late feed and sees her in the morning, but that's about it at the moment. Not ideal timing!

Like the vw transporter idea but we drove to the alps last year and it was already a long journey without a baby. Also I am wanting guaranteed warmth and France doesn't do that in April. Nor the ballerics. We went there two years ago (when we were both training for the marmotte... How life has changed) and my lasting memories are of being freezing for ten days and having to go and buy some extra clothes.

Thanks for the BR suggestions, but mcr1 is Pyrenees (freezing in April, we did that last year) and jeffmallorca is, I'm guessing, Mallorca, which as mentioned was cold. If I want cold, I can go to Cornwall.

I'm thinking Cyprus or canaries might win if we can find a hotel.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I and Ms DDD have a rule: We don't like telling other parents what to do. We'd rather tell them what we did, why and let them decide what works for them.

So here is what we (Ms DDD and I) did, why and what I found as a Dad.

We went to Menorca (amazing hollday) when baby was 9-10 months. By then my son could crawl and stand up while holding onto something. Ms DDD did baby led weaning from 5 and half months (she'd wait until 6 months if she did it again - though it did him no harm) so he was well and truly on food when we went on holiday and this made things a lot easier. What also made things a lot easier was formula - I think he was also holding his own bottle then as well (I cannot describe the freedom this brings).

We went to Menorca because the flight was short (2hrs - couldn't do any longer with a baby on my lap even when shared between Mum and I) and we needed a simple 'Brit abroad holiday' where everything is familar and a convenience. Sure there are better, more upmarket and less 'chavy' [Greg] holidays - I'd quite like to go Rome, Tuscany, North Africa etc - but at the same time I'm a realist and while the baby is young I'm happy to drop the pretense and realise that all I want is Sun and sleep. I can return to my 'culturally rich' holidays when the baby is older, can remember them and is less than the complete focus of the holiday.

Menorca was great as each restaurant had a 'play pen' for children so parents could at least have the kids preoccupied while they ate - this, of course, isn't suitable until the baby is older but its nice it shows they care. You won't get a Spainish dish in Menorca - but this of course ain't a problem if you want Sun and sleep first and food and alcohol second. Being able to sit down is also important.

We had four bags and a pushchair: 2 suitcases and 2 bags as hand luggage. One of the hand luggage bags formed the baby's stuff. Incidentally, we got to the airport all right but MsDDD left the baby's bag on the side of our road so my Dad (as he has had numerous advance driving courses under his belt) drove back to Wimbledon (the bag was still there on the pacement) and back to the airport (albeit with my bumper hanging slightly off as he did a little offroad airtime).

The holiday was great, simple and relaxing. That's all we could ask for.

Things I found:
    Cycling was an option - and Menorca in September (so still quiet and hot) seemed ideal - but it was an option I didn't take. Apart from sleep I wanted to spend most of my time with baby and Mum. I'm never going to get another opportunity to spend this much time enjoying my family - what with me being at work and this being a holiday - I also went on holiday with my family. Why would I spend it cycling? I completely got the whole freetime concept, but truthfully after 9-10monhts of new baby all I wanted to do was spend my freetime sleeping/sunbathing.

It's her (Mum's) holiday too: We share the parenting responsibilities and we tag team because it is a team effort. (The reponsibilities might be different - I can't breastfeed for example and circumstance means some tasks aren't feasible at home - but I do my part because developing my relationship with my son is equally as important as helping out. But every family has their own unique method of dividing the workload and making it work). That means on holiday (there really is no excuse no helping out on holiday) we shared the nightshift (teething, colic or simply a bad night), feeding, getting him dressed and nappies. Between 12pm - 4pm we each had 2 hours freetime while the other looked after the baby (this wasn't a rigid rule) - I spent mine sleeping or shooting a gun (I could have gone cycling - seemed like too much exertion). Sharing the workload meant that she could enjoy the holiday, which meant that she wasn't exhausted, I wasn't stressed/worried that she wasn't enjoying the holiday and most importantly, I got laid because she wasn't too tired.

However, mostly its the baby's holiday. Even at 9 months we found things he could do and sitting at the beach showing him how to build sand castles was hugely rewarding.

If the baby can walk (even with support) the flight is easier as you can walk the baby up and down the aisle for stimulation.

Self catering helps as it means that you can warm, sterilise milk bottles in the microwave. Wash them in the sink and shit. Also if the baby is having a bad night you can eat in the appartment and store things in the fridge like formula.

I couldn't go on holiday with a baby that couldn't at least sit up by himself. The added mobility and independence meant that we could at least get dressed at the same time or sit down at the same time while he played on the floor of the apartment with toys. It does also mean you have to watch them like a hawk but I do that anyway.

I also wouldn't let a stranger look after my baby when abroad. Its just something I'm not prepared to do, certainly not before he was at least mobile and vocal, even then... He goes nursery now, that was a step for me...

We in September - it was cheaper and we got the end of the good weather. It was also end of the season so it was quiet. That helped a lot, I'd have hated it if it was busy.

A holiday with a baby isn't an escape from the baby or as relaxing as it sounds. It is however, enjoyable and rewarding in its own right. We came back a stronger family unit.

Funny thing is, you just know ilprincipe is reading this thread with bated breath!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    Mallorca would be an option, though you may be lucky get something this late.

Base yourself in Porto Pollensa and use the guys at Pro Bike Hire.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    Be warned though Mallorca is likely to be windy
  • gabriel959
    Why not Altea or Javea which is were most cycling teams do their winter training. Closest city is Alicante, and it should be fair bit warmer than Mallorca (as it isn't an island). Look at the weather averages for Cyprus and Mallorca, they are almost the same.

http://www.holiday-weather.com/alicante/averages/april/

http://www.holiday-weather.com/paphos/averages/april/

Again, does it have to be this soon? Can't it wait until the baby is a bit more independent (6 months plus)?

Some very good points by DonDaddyD btw.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • gtvlusso
    @Londonlivvy

Where we go in Spain - junior was 6 months when we first made the foray, we did not want to take too much luggage and wanted food and booze close by.

http://www.rodagolf.com/

None of us play golf! However, San Javier airport is 5 minutes drive from Roda Golf. There is a flight direct to San Javier from Bristol airport via Cheesy Jet. There are lots of apartments and villas with pools for rental - There are communal pools and private pools. There are play parks all over the resort and it has a decent clubhouse with beer and food on tap - reasonably priced. There is a driving range, if you are inclined to whack a few balls. We rent bike locally in Los Alcazares and cycle to the beach locally at http://www.los-alcazares.co.uk/losalcazares.htm- the rental bikes have baby seats.

Quick flight and transfer are very useful with little ones!

Mar Menor stays very warm and is very shallow - great for kids. Big open sandy beaches, there is also a sailing school/Windsurfing school and lots of restaurants locally.

You can fish from most of the piers and the beach is sandy - ideal for sand castles.

We found that we could get fully baby equipped apartments on Roda Golf at a reasonable price. This cut down on luggage and with the bikes we avoided car hire.

Spanish roads are big and wide and the drivers are very aware of cyclists - very safe.

Google for Roda Gold villas or apartments and e-mail the owners direct.

If you want all the details, I can PM you with some more links.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Can't help with the baby stuff, but Cyprus is great for cycling. I went in May last year and stayed in Episkopi with my sister and Bro-in-law who is stationed out there (just outside Limassol). Point the bike North from there and within 15 mins you are in the foothills of the Troodos mountains, on quiet well paved roads, surrounded by beautiful scenery. It was plenty hot in May and will be nice in April. You could do plenty in 2 hours - and the way home will be just one long descent. One day I cycled up to the top of Mount Olympos which is the highest point on the island, one of the most pleasant rides I've ever done. Hardly any traffic and stunning views. Gradients are pretty shallow, i rode twice with my brother and bro in law and they coped pretty well with all the climbing. Neither are keen roadies.

Here are some Strava links to 2 routes:

http://app.strava.com/activities/9452817

http://app.strava.com/activities/9526776

My only complaint about Cyprus was the length of the flight, and the occasional crosswind on the descents - but then I was using deep rims!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:
    @Londonlivvy

Where we go in Spain - junior was 6 months when we first made the foray, we did not want to take too much luggage and wanted food and booze close by.

http://www.rodagolf.com/

None of us play golf! However, San Javier airport is 5 minutes drive from Roda Golf. There is a flight direct to San Javier from Bristol airport via Cheesy Jet. There are lots of apartments and villas with pools for rental - There are communal pools and private pools. There are play parks all over the resort and it has a decent clubhouse with beer and food on tap - reasonably priced. There is a driving range, if you are inclined to whack a few balls. We rent bike locally in Los Alcazares and cycle to the beach locally at http://www.los-alcazares.co.uk/losalcazares.htm- the rental bikes have baby seats.

Quick flight and transfer are very useful with little ones!

Mar Menor stays very warm and is very shallow - great for kids. Big open sandy beaches, there is also a sailing school/Windsurfing school and lots of restaurants locally.

You can fish from most of the piers and the beach is sandy - ideal for sand castles.

We found that we could get fully baby equipped apartments on Roda Golf at a reasonable price. This cut down on luggage and with the bikes we avoided car hire.

Spanish roads are big and wide and the drivers are very aware of cyclists - very safe.

Google for Roda Gold villas or apartments and e-mail the owners direct.

If you want all the details, I can PM you with some more links.

Oh- and you can cycle along the seafront on a pathway, loads of coffee shops and bars. We cycled literally for miles, had some food, played on the beach and then cycled home. Got ready and cycled out again to the 19th hole for dinner.

So, you can do an entire day on the bike with ease.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Very small babies aren't to my mind suitable for schlepping about with, at the same time todlers can be too full of beans to enjoy flights. I'd say that once the baby has a strong neck,sitting up and eating solids then you have a window until they are about two to do some stuff (e.g big enough to be safe, but small enough to carry or leave with sitters). Once they start getting to about two then they want to run about and that becomes hard work in places that have water hazards, balconies, blazing sun and so on.

This sounds harsh, but you have to accept that you are in a different life phase now and adjust accordingly. I've heard people say that they won't change because of children, but they nearly all seem to end up flogging themselves to prove their point.