Shed Roof

Comments

• marco67
    marco67 Posts: 91
    That's just crazy, i really hope your stolen property is found and recovered.

I had bikes stolen from my shed several years ago and have tried to make the replacements as secure as possible since. I've changed the hinges so they can't be accessed from the outside, fitted an alarm, installed one of these http://www.trimetals.co.uk/bicycle-storage.php in the shed bolted to the wooden floor which can be locked with up to 3 padlocks. Inside the bike box I have a ground anchor attached to a foot square block of cement in the ground under the shed (made a hole in the wooden floor and lifted the small paver that was there out of the way) and i finally use upto 3 'Goldsecure' locks to anchor my bikes to the anchor. It cost a small fortune but I figure it's worth it.

Since doing all that my ex moved out bear with me on this - she loved baths, so since she has gone I now store my 2 best bikes in the 'family' bathroom as i just use the ensuite shower.

But it's sad that we have to resort to these measures to protect our pride and joys
    Ciao Marco
  • I even tried to bring the quad inside, but the wife drew the line at 4 bikes.

• If I look out of my living room window across the road, I can see a tractor partially hidden between two trees. The tractor has a large green tarpaulin over it so at least its isn't as obvious as the bloody great red thing hiding under it. The owner has a smallholding nearby and couldn't leave anything unattended there due to the obvious reasons, but lived on a leafy cul de sac in a rather expensive bit of the country, so has brought it home with him.

Yes, its silly, yes he is on the 'affordable housing bit of the road and no, nobody has complained (yet) as he covered it up as soon as it got here.

Its not his fault he cannot leave it at the farm buildings but like bikes, its the owners and those around who suffer from the attentions of the criminal class.
  • It really is a shame when I hear these things happening. I had my bike stolen a few months ago, and while it wasn't in a highly secured area, the audacity of them to take an angle grinder to the front of my parents' house is atrocious. I am moving into a new house in a few weeks, and we do have an offsite garage, but I am very worried about leaving it there.

Security will be a priority within the building, but I won't want to change anything to the outside to attract people. Let's hope that tons of cement will make it hard enough to take away.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Appalled-never seen anything like it.My best is upstairs for the winter but I would seriously think of popping the wheels into a wheel bag and hanging the frame on a wall inside.Work of art in some cases.Hope they trace the scum.Odd no one heard the undoubted noise they must have made?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    nevman wrote:
    My best is upstairs for the winter

The ONE thing I have to keep me going is that my Dura Ace wheels are safely tucked up indoors in our bedroom.

Of course, I now have wheels and no bike to put them on :(
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Really sorry for the OP and the others who have had bikes stolen. It's unbelievable what lengths these scummy c***s will go to. I'd seriously do time if I caught one of these b******s. This country has turned into a complete dump, in every way possible. Whatever you do, they'll find a way to get in. If you're lucky, they'll just wreck the shed that you're storing your bike in. Either way, it's gonna cost you. I can only suggest a metal shed hooked up to the mains, or with a Rottweiler in it.
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • Camus
    Camus Posts: 189
    Really sorry for the OP and the others who have had bikes stolen. It's unbelievable what lengths these scummy c***s will go to. I'd seriously do time if I caught one of these b******s. This country has turned into a complete dump, in every way possible. Whatever you do, they'll find a way to get in. If you're lucky, they'll just wreck the shed that you're storing your bike in. Either way, it's gonna cost you. I can only suggest a metal shed hooked up to the mains, or with a Rottweiler in it.

Have to agree, not to be nihilistic or anything, but the sooner I can get out the better, plus I can go somewhere where the weather's better for riding. Only the Brits would live in Britain!
  • Bwgan
    Bwgan Posts: 389
    Can't believe that, really sorry to hear!
  • Camus wrote:
    Really sorry for the OP and the others who have had bikes stolen. It's unbelievable what lengths these scummy c***s will go to. I'd seriously do time if I caught one of these b******s. This country has turned into a complete dump, in every way possible. Whatever you do, they'll find a way to get in. If you're lucky, they'll just wreck the shed that you're storing your bike in. Either way, it's gonna cost you. I can only suggest a metal shed hooked up to the mains, or with a Rottweiler in it.

Have to agree, not to be nihilistic or anything, but the sooner I can get out the better, plus I can go somewhere where the weather's better for riding. Only the Brits would live in Britain!

Sad, eh! :(
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Rig the shed up with some poacher alarms (they fire blank shotgun cartridges) :twisted: :twisted:
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Brad123
    Brad123 Posts: 86
    Sorry about the bikes have you seen this http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/news ... ike-34676/
    GT Avalanche for xc fun
    Btwin Triban 3
  • ic.
    Thanks for that, I'll certainly look into it if I get a replacement.

Has anyone used one??

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • Sorry to read about your loss, Many years ago, a now retired workmate of mine owned his own lorry. He parked this truck on the designated park in the small town he lives in, gardens back on to this parking area. Anyway, this spate of diesel and rear light thefts started and just went on and on and on so my friend got so fed up with all this he arranged with the other drivers to always allow him to park so he could reverse directly up to his own back garden . He then runs a cable from a 13 amp socket in his house down the garden, through the hedge, up the back mudguard of his lorry and leaves the bare wires taped up under the light lens.
    He does this for several nights untill one night he's lying in bed with his wife reading, and there's a sudden horrific scream from out the back, followed by a click from the fusebox and darkness.
    So he gets his dressing gown on and paddles down the garden to investigate, only to find a recently disturbed rear light lens and a substantial pool of vomit nearby, the thefts did not continue.
    I said to him when he told me the story" what if the miscreant was dead at the back of your truck" he just replied that he would have reeled up the cable, gone back to bed and "found" the body in the morning.
    I really believe this should be legal, an englishmans home is his castle. We work hard for our toys.
  • xhacker
    xhacker Posts: 69
    treaclepig wrote:
    Sorry to read about your loss, Many years ago, a now retired workmate of mine owned his own lorry. He parked this truck on the designated park in the small town he lives in, gardens back on to this parking area. Anyway, this spate of diesel and rear light thefts started and just went on and on and on so my friend got so fed up with all this he arranged with the other drivers to always allow him to park so he could reverse directly up to his own back garden . He then runs a cable from a 13 amp socket in his house down the garden, through the hedge, up the back mudguard of his lorry and leaves the bare wires taped up under the light lens.
    He does this for several nights untill one night he's lying in bed with his wife reading, and there's a sudden horrific scream from out the back, followed by a click from the fusebox and darkness.
    So he gets his dressing gown on and paddles down the garden to investigate, only to find a recently disturbed rear light lens and a substantial pool of vomit nearby, the thefts did not continue.
    I said to him when he told me the story" what if the miscreant was dead at the back of your truck" he just replied that he would have reeled up the cable, gone back to bed and "found" the body in the morning.
    I really believe this should be legal, an englishmans home is his castle. We work hard for our toys.

He could have had fried dickhead for breakfast!
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    just sad the lengths people go to now. When space allows Im buying a used 20ft container. Under a grand delivered and they wont be ripping the roof off one of them. Makes as a handy garage and very secure.
    Seems the world gets sadder day by day. As for people saying move abroad, You could move to the island "idle" of mallorca like I did, whcih was proudly reported in the spansih press today to have the highest crime rate in the whole of Spain. And im not kidding. Nowhere is safe anymore. All my stuff is locked in the house and should anyone come in they will be suprised at what I have close to hand. Shame we have to live like that now.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    As any fsrmer will tell you, if there's a grand or two of stuff in the container (ie bikes) they just use porta pack oxy acetelene cutters. very quiet, cut a little door through the wall in a minute or two and away.

Also, as you will find out, they are terrible for condensation inside. every morning when the sun comes up it drips off the roof inside so everything rusts really quickly.
    So you'll have to insulate it.
    Peter
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    natrix wrote:
    Rig the shed up with some poacher alarms (they fire blank shotgun cartridges) :twisted: :twisted:

Comments like this, no matter how much tongue in cheek they're supposed to be, are most definitely
    not helpful.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    De Sisti wrote:
    natrix wrote:

Comments like this, no matter how much tongue in cheek they're supposed to be, are most definitely
    not helpful.

Why would that be tongue in cheek? Although never trying it myself I am aware of others that have done similar. All they do is make a loud bang that would potentially scare away the offender and make the owner aware that they had an intruder.
  • De Sisti wrote:
    natrix wrote:

not helpful.

Why would that be tongue in cheek? Although never trying it myself I am aware of others that have done similar. All they do is make a loud bang that would potentially scare away the offender and make the owner aware that they had an intruder.

Agree with that. I while back I remember a motorbike alarm that triggered a shotgun cartridge under the seat if the bike was moved. Blanks of course.
    But personally I would have no problem with the thief receiving an ounce or so of buckshot. Better than community service, innit?
  • De Sisti wrote:
    natrix wrote:

not helpful.

I use this method after my shed roof got lifted off, roof now has added bolts, steel corner plates & a rigged up poacher alarm with trip wire attached to the roof. So if this happens again hopefully I'll find a little scum bag that has soiled himself at the end of the garden possibly after having a heart attack also :mrgreen:
    "Cycling isn't a game, it's a sport. Tough, hard and unpitying, and it requires great sacrifices.
    One plays football, or tennis, or hockey. One doesn't play at Cycling."
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Ideally you want a shed that is as unobtrusive as possible, mine looks like garbage but has loads of bikes in. Fortunately they're secured by a massive alarmed chain to an immovable object. Ironically our house has been broken into but they missed the bikes in the shed (which tbh I'd prefer!)
  • ic.
    ride_whatever - have sent you a PM

Question, are Pacher Alarms legal to use then??? Seems like a nice way to treat my visitors....

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • natrix
    IC. wrote:

Question, are Pacher Alarms legal to use then??? Seems like a nice way to treat my visitors....

Poacher alarms are legal to use, you can buy them quite easily, along with blank shotgun cartridges.
  • natrix wrote:
    IC. wrote:

Poacher alarms are legal to use, you can buy them quite easily, along with blank shotgun cartridges.

Are they safe to use? Presumably a shotgun blank used recklessly could be harmful?
  • natrix
    They should come with guidelines for their use, e.g. don't place them at head height otherwise you could burst somebodies eardrums.
  • natrix wrote:
    IC. wrote:

Are they safe to use? Presumably a shotgun blank used recklessly could be harmful?

Please! The scum trying to nick your beloved bike from your shed, would quite happily attack you if you discovered them and they thought they had the upper hand. Do you think they'll be sending you flowers and grapes when you're in hospital?

They don't give a crap about you or your property - if they want it, they nick it whilst drawing benefits and never doing an honest hour's work in their lives.

So no, I wouldn't worry about it being 'harmful'. Their HR might just go up to 160 or so, the only time they'll ever see it that high.
  • Just to cheer up those with some great ideas - like the lorry and extension lead, a man after my own heart.
    We had a workshop burglary a few years ago, so I decided to fit iron bars to all windows, when I told the local plod investigating it that I planned to wire all up to the mains - he warned me that I would be liable to assault charge if anyone was hurt. So they would have to cross the property, break the glass, then, when they were electrocuted I would be liable. What a wonderful world.
  • natrix wrote:
    IC. wrote:

Please! The scum trying to nick your beloved bike from your shed, would quite happily attack you if you discovered them and they thought they had the upper hand. Do you think they'll be sending you flowers and grapes when you're in hospital?

They don't give a crap about you or your property - if they want it, they nick it whilst drawing benefits and never doing an honest hour's work in their lives.

So no, I wouldn't worry about it being 'harmful'. Their HR might just go up to 160 or so, the only time they'll ever see it that high.
    I agree. I'd be more concerned about accidentally triggering one myself.

I know the army use Blank Firing Attachments on rifles which ensure that whatever residue is emitted from a blank round (used for training) is caught before it's discharged into the face of some unfortunate squaddie.
  • I believe they are primarily used to create the necessary back pressure in order to reload the next round.