Has BR revenue creation gone completely silly?

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,523
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
Whats with the underscored words to link for 'free offers', 'congratulations you have won...' bollox blah blah ?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'm more annoyed by the crappy little green popup survey box that appears everytime I log on to this site now. I may have to respond to it very rudely.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Rolf F wrote:
    I'm more annoyed by the crappy little green popup survey box that appears everytime I log on to this site now. I may have to respond to it very rudely.

Yeah, I thought I would do the decent thing and go through the survey...about 20 different screens later I gave up (no, I don't give fig what the differences between smart phones are) and now just close it every time. Surely these marketing muppets know there is a limit as to how helpful folks want to be?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edit, it wont let me type what I want but by using Firefox with a couple of good common add-ons a lot of websites inc BR have some frustrations dealt with
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Yeah, I thought I would do the decent thing and go through the survey...about 20 different screens later I gave up (no, I don't give fig what the differences between smart phones are) and now just close it every time. Surely these marketing muppets know there is a limit as to how helpful folks want to be?

Snap! I don't mind 3-4 pages of general questions but this thing reminded me of the survey forms that used to come in the junk mail requiring answers to over a hundred questions (What is your household income? How much do you have saved? Fasten and zip, or zip and fasten? Etc., etc.). They always went directly to the bin and so does this one.

Note to marketing - keep it short and sensible and people will help you to help maintain the site. Easy, no? :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,199
    mfin wrote:
    edit, it wont let me type what I want but by using Firefox with a couple of good common add-ons a lot of websites inc BR have some frustrations dealt with
    It's only when I use other people's computers using IE that I realise how good Firefox add-ons are at making nearly all this marketing tripe completely disappear.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I'm more annoyed by the bias of some of the reviews. The best example I can give is "best bikes under £1000" where big makes and models that are an obvious contender (like Specialized Allez) not even featuring in the review, while others like Boardman had three bikes in there. The first thing that came to my mind was little brown envelopes changing hands.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Normally I don't mind adverts so long as they stay away from being intrusive - sadly a lot on the vast majority of sites are intrusive and I now use advert blocking addons. I'm sorry if they prevent revenue coming into the site but I am not going to buy anything that's advertised here anyway, even bike stuff, because I get it either second hand or from the local bike shop.

I buy a lot of Future magazines. well 3 of them - PC Gamer (and PC Zone until they got rid of it after they bought them out, better mag too), Gamemaster and Cycling Plus. There's plenty of adverts in there, I don't want to see any more.