best place to go for a Xc/AM/Lift Assited near Geneva?

062830778 Posts: 58
edited December 2012 in Holidays
Hi,
looking to go on a MTB holiday in the summer (2013) and i cant decide where best place to go is!!! we are looking for sort of XC/All mountain riding maybe with some lift accesibility relatively near by. It would be good to be near Geneva as that seems to be a cheap place to fly to.
any thoughts?
Jack.

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    IIRC, there's nothing on the doorstep of Geneva. We drive by there each year on the way to Morzine (less than an hour) or Alpe D'Huez (slightly further than Morzine, hour half maybe). In Morzine, you are spoilt for choice as you are within the Portes Du Soleil area and a single lift pass opens up dozens of lifts and many many trails. However, the DH trails there are battered and you really need a DH bike if only for the breaking bumps. Alp D'Huez is smaller, fewer lifts and trails, but they are in better condition. A big bonus for that area though is the Megavalanche route which is totally natural, isn't cut up, and is one of the hardest prolongued descents I've ever face short of a full on DH track.
    If you went to Morzine, I'd recommend The Edge as it's cheaper than the B&Bs there, you get a sauna, jacuzzi, ping pong table, Wii and some amazing views. I don't recommend the place we stayed at in Alpe D'Huez.
    Info for you:
    Our riding videos from Alpe D-Huez
    Write up of Morzine
    Morzine vids
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Les Arcs is within fairly easy driving distance of Geneva, couple of hours, and the riding up the valley is nigh godly.

Are you going solo or looking for a holiday company?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • We are looking to do it under our own steam as we are trying to do it for as cheap as possible!