Best of both worlds?!

2»

Comments

• concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    What about a pedal that does both which comes with a shoe, the shoe could have some kind of mechanism on the side to bring a clip down or up to attach or not attach to the spd bit of the pedal, the pedal could be really flat and the shoe only need a little out cut for the spd part to go up into, rest of sole could be rubber and really grippy?

The people that want this type only clip in for climbing easy climbs or fire road? Turn the mechanism then to unclip for the downs?

obviously I have no clue though!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Concorde wrote:
    What about a pedal that does both which comes with a shoe, the shoe could have some kind of mechanism on the side to bring a clip down or up to attach or not attach to the spd bit of the pedal, the pedal could be really flat and the shoe only need a little out cut for the spd part to go up into, rest of sole could be rubber and really grippy?

The people that want this type only clip in for climbing easy climbs or fire road? Turn the mechanism then to unclip for the downs?

been done for the roadies already.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    nicklouse wrote:
    Concorde wrote:

been done for the roadies already.

And it doesn't work for MTBers?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's so they can walk - roadie cleats stick out a long way. Plus they sit and pedal for hours on end. You need a nice soft sole for flats.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    AH but... ever thought that we go about it all wrong? We have spiky vampire pedals, which when we're not paying attention bleed us dry, and we have flat shoes that don't grip on anything but spiky pedals. So what we actually need, is pedals made of stealth rubber, and shoes with a clip-on spiky thing

I am the solver of things.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Northwind wrote:
    AH but... ever thought that we go about it all wrong? We have spiky vampire pedals, which when we're not paying attention bleed us dry, and we have flat shoes that don't grip on anything but spiky pedals. So what we actually need, is pedals made of stealth rubber, and shoes with a clip-on spiky thing

I am the solver of things.
    These would suit you
    fall2010shoes_thumb.jpg

But seriously
    New-Track-Shoes-Running-Spikes-199-.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Cooldad, Northwind: Good idea, shoes that 'engage' with the pedals, they might be a bit difficult to walk in though. What does that remind me of.... :lol::wink:

How about two crank arms on each side?, have them at 90 rather than 180 degrees to each other so you can still (kind of) lean the bike over around corners. One pair of cranks have SPDs, the other have flats. Then just put a spare pair of shoes in your backpack and swap them over if you reach a technical bit. :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."