Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Gloves are ok
    socks are ok
    tops are shit bit they'll do for a short commute
    shorts and trousers are like torture devices... Avoid at all costs
  • Bluedoggy wrote:
    Lidl have winter sale on Thursday. Some thermal base layers and long jones - £4.99. I'll have some of those! :D

+1
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • I love Lidl and laugh at the snobs who refuse to shop there. However some people are beginning to cotton on to their Iberico hams, Snails, Lobster and Caviar prices. None of which are even sold at most of the mainstream supermarkets.

I bought 5kg of large onions for 99p the other day. I'm pretty sure they weren't inferior in any way.

The quality of their groceries is actually higher than the mainstream supermarkets.

IMO Aldi are not as good but they sell excellent PC's.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    I bought a wireless cycle computer from Aldis for £7.99. I saw it and thought why not its only £7.99.

Basically it doesnt go any higher than 25 mph, except when stationary when it will ocasionally go up to about 50mph.

Edit: Actually that was from Lidls so please just ignore me.
  • Mrs BBGeek was in Aldi the other day and came across a box of cycling clothing. We've bought their stuff before but have always thought they sold out really quick. The guy in the shop explained that they still had some left over in the warehouse so they put it back out (perhaps they cleared it away for the next promotion?). So I got another jacket to wear as the other dries out from yet another soaking.
    Next time you're passing one it may be worth a try (this was the store in Havant) if you like their kit.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • NITR8s wrote:

Probably wired too! :D
  • +1 for their Red Softshell Jacket and Baselayer

Was very sceptical about their Red jacket for £16 after I wore them on maiden commute few weeks, but has a good zip!
    I wear a short sleeve baselayer and jersey for commutes and the windproofing was tested last Thursday! Just unzip lower to aid the ventilation. Top purchase!

As for the thermal baselayer (£10). Used alongside my Lidl Bib tights (fleeced material), it has kept me warm on my Sunday rides....
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    Bustacapp wrote:
    I love Lidl and laugh at the snobs who refuse to shop there. However some people are beginning to cotton on to their Iberico hams, Snails, Lobster and Caviar prices. None of which are even sold at most of the mainstream supermarkets.

I bought 5kg of large onions for 99p the other day. I'm pretty sure they weren't inferior in any way.

The quality of their groceries is actually higher than the mainstream supermarkets.

IMO Aldi are not as good but they sell excellent PC's.
    +1 couldn't agree more :lol:
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    80% of my cycling gear is from either Aldi or Lidls,i find it good quality in the main and long lasting..
    bring on the next cycling advent................
  • Who the hell is going to know i wear a Lidl base layer anyway? Unless they come up to me and unzip my jacket, unzip my jersey and say.. 'Hey common person, you're wearing a Lidl!' It's not going to happen.
    Wilier cento uno.
  • Bluedoggy wrote:
    Unless they come up to me and unzip my jacket, unzip my jersey and say.. 'Hey common person, you're wearing a Lidl!' It's not going to happen.

Unless you get lucky 8)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Yeah had lots of good stuff from Aldi, cycling jersey, gloves, base layers, rain jacket, socks, rucksack and it's all excellent and still used on the commute. Well recommended. If others have got spare cash to spooj on top brand stuff, fair play but don't hate on those who haven't!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Bustacapp wrote:
    NITR8s wrote:

Probably wired too! :D

No defo wireless.
  • Well, got her indoors to get a job lot of Fermals and well....bloody brilliant!
    £4.99. They do the job. I can honestly can't tell the difference on comfort between these and my Assos.(£40) May not last as long but I can live with that....
    Wilier cento uno.
  • Bluedoggy wrote:
    Well, got her indoors to get a job lot of Fermals and well....bloody brilliant!
    £4.99. They do the job. I can honestly can't tell the difference on comfort between these and my Assos.(£40) May not last as long but I can live with that....

I also got the thermal top & bottoms. Excellent for £4.99!!
  • Read a cycling mag.today featuring an article on winter clothing, kit was various prices & some items were £ 150 plus yet only achieved 8/10 points whereas Wiggle dhb - far cheaper got 10/10 . The point I'm making is "one mans meat is usually another man's wife" & £ss. cost don't always equate to value. I use aldi & dhb. as they serve my purpose but I can also buy the expensive stuff if I choose & I choose not to. Remember when that 15 year old kid flashes past on an old bike wearing trainers it's the legs that do the talking ( happened to me last week) I consoled myself with thought I was old to be his grandad.
  • Read a cycling mag.today featuring an article on winter clothing, kit was various prices & some items were £ 150 plus yet only achieved 8/10 points whereas Wiggle dhb - far cheaper got 10/10 . The point I'm making is "one mans meat is usually another man's wife" & £ss. cost don't always equate to value. I use aldi & dhb. as they serve my purpose but I can also buy the expensive stuff if I choose & I choose not to. Remember when that 15 year old kid flashes past on an old bike wearing trainers it's the legs that do the talking ( happened to me last week) I consoled myself with thought I was old to be his grandad.

The tests results represent value for money so a cheap garment could be average and get a good score whereas an expensive item could be equally average however due to its worse value for money receive a poor score
  • Good point , well made
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I went out this afternoon dressed head to toe in Aldi kit - skull cap, l/s base layer, softshell jacket, bib longs and socks were all Aldi kit.
    From 2 o'clock till 3 I was too hot at times, despite temperatures being only just above freezing, but once the sun had gone down and it was getting to zero again I was still plenty warm enough.
    I know I wouldn't have won any cycling fashion awards but the kit certainly did it's job.
  • I will pay a premium on certain clothing. For example my Etxeondo Jacket cost £269. It is the perfect jacket in fit, style and performance etc. but I'm also proud to wear an Aldi £4.99 thermal because it works.
    Wilier cento uno.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Aldi have ski kit in from tomorrow. If you need thermals or ski gloves - worth a look.
  • cougie wrote:
    Aldi have ski kit in from tomorrow. If you need thermals or ski gloves - worth a look.
    +1
    Will have a look at the thermals....:)
    Wilier cento uno.