Pocket sized pumps

JonEdwards
JonEdwards Posts: 452
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
Any out there that are any good?

I've got a Topeak Pocketrocket which is OK (but nothing more), but I need something for the SO now she's getting into Roadieing.

Any of the combined CO2/pump ones worthwhile?

Thanks

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just get a Lezyne. I dont trust Co2. If you mess it up - or get 2 flats- or forget you need a new canister - you're stuffed.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    cougie wrote:
    Just get a Lezyne. I dont trust Co2. If you mess it up - or get 2 flats- or forget you need a new canister - you're stuffed.

Which is why CO2 plus a small back-up pump works so well. CO2 for the first puncture (or more if you carry more cartridges) gets you 100psi with zero effort in 2 seconds and a pump that will eventually get you to a usable pressure for additional punctures or if something goes wrong with the CO2.
    More problems but still living....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd rather just have the one pump myself. If you're racing then Co2 would be handy - every second saved and all that - but if you're not - then if you can ride a bike - pumping a tyre shouldnt be that much of an effort.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Lezyne Road Drive.
    Seems expensive until you use it :D
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    cougie wrote:
    I'd rather just have the one pump myself. If you're racing then Co2 would be handy - every second saved and all that - but if you're not - then if you can ride a bike - pumping a tyre shouldnt be that much of an effort.

What sort of racing do you do where you have time to stop and fix a puncture?

I'd rather use a CO2 cartridge when it's cold and/or pissing with rain that takes 2 seconds to inflate a tyre than use a mini pump that takes several minutes to get anywhere near 100 psi. Of course if you're happy carrying a decent sized pump then that's different, but a mini pump fits in a pocket (my CO2 cartridge goes in a tool bottle) which a full size pump wouldn't.
    More problems but still living....
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    I second the lezyne road pumps, forget which one I have but it does the job fine.
    I used to use co2, but stopped using them. Rather just carry a pump.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I have:

a lezyne road drive attached to the down tube of the VN
    a lezyne micro floor drive for the commute (I can carry it in my bag, and pump a tyre up to 100+ psi in a minute)
    a lezyne pressure drive for in my back pocket when on the BMC
    a lezyne alloy drive CO2 under the saddle of the BMC

I've tried many brands of mini pumps and been stranded or left with a barely rideable tyre several times. The worst was with an SKS Puro (now discontinued) which had completely seized.* I've never had any problems with lezyne, which is why I always buy them. I have a zéfal track pump and when that finally gives up the ghost which it is about to, it'll be replaced with a lezyne pump!

CO2 just saves time. If I'm not bothered about 2-3 minutes, I'll use the pump. I've only used the CO2 once or twice and that has been on group rides where I'm conscious that other people are standing around waiting.

*in fairness, SKS replaced the pump without any hassle. I sold the replacement straight away!
  • amaferanga wrote:
    Of course if you're happy carrying a decent sized pump then that's different, ....

I can see that CO2 plus pocket pump is a great solution, but this ^^^ is the compromise I've arrived at. My old (but hardly used) Blackburn pump is small and light but not quite pocket sized. It nestles discreetly in beside a bottle and when needed can pump a tyre to 100psi in a small amount of time, pump strokes and effort, certainly a lot less on all three counts than any pocket pump, for a weight penalty of a few grammes.

It all depends on what you want. If you're aesthetics-led (oh, the visual horror of a frame-attached pump!) then you will buy a pocket pump and you will take much longer to get your tyres to a (probably lower max) pressure.
  • I had a Topeak pocket rocket. Found out it was knacked on commute into work :( Had to walk 2 miles home :( Check yours works, regularly :!:

Really wanted to try a Lezyne as they get rave reviews, but not able to source one locally, so went for a Boardman. It's tiny and hardly noticeable on the bike. Will fit in a pocket if you don't want to frame mount it. It's excellent quality and works ace. Only thing I don't like, it doesn't lock on to the valve, which sounds a bit rubbish, but in use it works so well, that I would happily buy another one :D
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    CO2 and mini pumps are for the mentally enfeebled.

Frame pumps rock. If it's good enough for Cav...

1231409679394-b4kxfsfegmgr-800-75.jpg
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Carrying a pump in the back pocket of a cycling top is folly - should you have the misfortune of coming off, the implications of a rigid pump in a back or side pocket does not make sense.

A Lezyne pump fixed to the water bottle fixings will see you right.

Peter
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    schweiz wrote:
    I have:

a lezyne road drive attached to the down tube of the VN
    a lezyne micro floor drive for the commute (I can carry it in my bag, and pump a tyre up to 100+ psi in a minute)
    a lezyne pressure drive for in my back pocket when on the BMC
    a lezyne alloy drive CO2 under the saddle of the BMC

+1 for Leyzene, just bought a mini pressure drive (small) and it just fits into the Topeak small aero wedge saddle bag. I don't like stuffing my back pockets, rather have it all tucked away in a modest bag. Used it on Sunday when a fellow rider got a flat, she didn't have a pump just 2 canisters, so saved her having to use one of those. Pumped up the tyre pretty quickly to a good pressure.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Coach H wrote:
    Lezyne Road Drive.
    Seems expensive until you use it :D
    +1
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I use a GI Microflate Nano Co2 with a Topeak micro-rocket as backup - been a virtually 100 % reliable setup - I use the rocket to get the tube started/seated to ~ 10 psi, and then the Co2 for an additional ~ 90 psi - works well. (Admitedly the Co2 does take 2 or 3 ''usages'' to get used to attaching to the valve etc and it is a bit fiddly). I also wrap the Micro-rocket with an inner tube and extra padding for the back jersey pocket (seems to be safe enough..hopefully).
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I just carry a tiny Lezyne CO2 inflator: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lezyne-Speed-Dr ... _26236.htm

But Lezyne do a hand pumps with a flex hoses - and that flex hose will take a cartridge too (best of both):

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lezyne-Road-Dri ... _41951.htm

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lezyne-Pressure ... _41952.htm

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lezyne-Alloy-Dr ... _41953.htm
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    CO2 is fine in the dry - if you use one in the wet, the tyre valve can freeze open and you simply lose the lot. Not carrying a back-up is folly.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cougie wrote:

+1
  • I bought the Topeak Race Rocket HP which seemed very similar to the Lezyne Pressure Drive when compared side-by-side in the shop.

I haven't had to deal with a puncture yet but I was pretty impressed with it when testing at home and it is tiny. You do have to pump like a madman but that seems like a decent trade off considering it will fit easily in a pocket.
  • Strith wrote:
    I second the lezyne road pumps, forget which one I have but it does the job fine.
    I used to use co2, but stopped using them. Rather just carry a pump.

+1 got the medium pressure drive