Carbon frame that will take 28mm tyre

dakkar
dakkar Posts: 64
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a bike that is comfortable for endurance and long distance, all day rides, audaxing. Does anybody know a bike apart from the Trek Domane that will take a 28 mm tyre. Or is the right carbon frame comfortable enough that a 28 mm tyre is not neccessary? Any comments?

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Cervelo R3
    Spesh Roubaix (I assume?)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Is there more clearance on an R3 frame than an R5 frame? A recent post on the Cervelo forum says that a 25mm tyre is very tight on an R5 and looking at the 23mm tyres on my R5 I can't see how a 28mm would fit. I think that rim choice may also come into this, I have 23mm rims that hold the tyre in a slightly different shape to a narrower rim which will probably impact the spacing.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    28s on their own or with a mudguard?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    BMC Gran Fondo can I think, Dolan do a carbon winter bike to. For your requirements though I'd be tempted to look at Ti frames as well as there's a few more choices that will take a 28c + mudguard (as well as having rackmounts and mudguard eyelets), the Van Nicholas Amazon being one of the more obvious choices.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Any cross bike?

PP
  • dakkar
    dakkar Posts: 64
    Thanks everyone for your comments. In an ideal world I would also like to fit mudguards but not essential that it has mudguard eyes, there is always a way around it.

Pilot Pete thanks for the hint on cross bikes, is a crosser’s geometry comfortable for the long distance?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    dakkar wrote:
    Thanks everyone for your comments. In an ideal world I would also like to fit mudguards but not essential that it has mudguard eyes, there is always a way around it.

Not so much an issue with the mudguard eyes, just that 28mm tyres plus mudguards require significant (well, "significant" if your starting point is essentially a slightly oversized road bike) clearance. Depending on the tyre profile, you may run into clearance issues with "narrow" guards - if you have to go to the next size of mudguard, it is a considerable increase in width.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • napoleond
    My R3 has plenty space and would fit 28s no problem. Not with any form of attachable guests though. I can run crude with 25mm tyres though...

I'd look at getting either a cross bike or a steel or Titanium audax type bike...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've an Uncle John 'cross bike from Planet X. It's not carbon but its a lovely ride. The first ride I did on it was about 120 miles and it was perfect. It outclimbed Cervelos, and outdescended them too on a tricky descent that had people crashing off in the wet. If i had to have just one bike - it would be that. Just ride narrower tyres in the summer.
  • napoleond
    cougie wrote:
    I've an Uncle John 'cross bike from Planet X. It's not carbon but its a lovely ride. The first ride I did on it was about 120 miles and it was perfect. It outclimbed Cervelos, and outdescended them too on a tricky descent that had people crashing off in the wet. If i had to have just one bike - it would be that. Just ride narrower tyres in the summer.

You outclimbed other people in their cervelos, it didn't outclimb cervelos ;)

Planet X also do the kaffenback which looks good too. A bit more touring than cross though...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    NapoleonD wrote:

I don't like to boast. Not too much anyway. ;-)
  • napoleond
    cougie wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Heh :)

I was sorely tempted getting an uncle John for my communter but no rack mounts.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "Not with any form of attachable guests though. I can run crude with 25mm tyres though..."

Predictive text perchance??
  • napoleond
    Heh heh!!! :D

This iPhone is a piece of shut.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    My Kuota Kross carbon CX frame is stiffer than a stiff thing - fortunately bigger tyres make the ride more tolerable but if you're looking for something durable and you're not racing, titanium would be a better good choice IMO - the J&L Ti CX on ebay is pretty good value - you'll pay £1100 for a similar spec frame from a UK dealer.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Brynd
    Brynd Posts: 39
    I’m running 28mm Continental 4 season tyres with Crud Road Racer mudguards on a Specialized Roubaix.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    NapoleonD wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Heh :)

I was sorely tempted getting an uncle John for my communter but no rack mounts.

I thought it did? Looks like it to me...

FRPXUJV2_P1.jpg
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Tifosi CK2 Corsa
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Brynd wrote:
    I’m running 28mm Continental 4 season tyres with Crud Road Racer mudguards on a Specialized Roubaix.
    interesting, what model year is that? My 2008 one I can't even get 25's under my Cruds but was thinking about changing the frame anyhow
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Carbon frame that can take 28mm?

here you go: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-bmc-gran-fondo-gf01-12-46736

(its £4k though..)
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    Carbon frame that can take 28mm?

here you go: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-bmc-gran-fondo-gf01-12-46736

(its £4k though..)

Only £3200 with manual Ultegra !!
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc ... gn=froogle
  • Brynd
    Brynd Posts: 39
    nferrar wrote:
    Brynd wrote:
    interesting, what model year is that? My 2008 one I can't even get 25's under my Cruds but was thinking about changing the frame anyhow

2012 Elite, SL3 frame style.