Training for Ventoux

Paul 8v
Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
I'm looking at climbing Ventoux for charity at some point next year, at the moment most of my rides are only about an hour (Just getting back in to road riding) so I know I need to increase my endurance. The problem is where I live, in Essex there is a distinct lack of decent sized hills, the longest one anywhere near me is about 3 minutes!

I've got to drive a long way to get any decent sized sort of hills so has anyone got any suggestions of what could help me on this one, I know it's going to be hard work climbing it anyway but I want to prepare myself as much as possible.

I thought about sessioning the biggest hill over and over but then you get a break every three minutes as you descend it!

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    If you just want to climb it from Bedoin once then to be honest I wouldn't worry too much - it's a hard climb but given the correct gearing and plenty of time you should be able to get fit enough just going out and riding - build up to 3 hour rides should be plenty. You don't need to do lots of climbing - maybe it helps but you aren't going to be able to get enough hilly rides in without doing so much driving which would be time better spent riding. A tougher aim might be to do all three ascents in the same day - something you can register to do in advance and I think you can then get some kind of medal or certificate or something - or add the unpaved ascent too - wouldn't recommend that one on a road bike though.

I would recommend riding the along the Gorge du Nesque (or something like that) road while you are there - you can descend Ventoux to Sault (not the best descent if you like speed as it's so shallow) and then make your way back to Bedoin along the side of the gorge - it really is a bit of road not to be missed if you are in that area. Maybe have something to eat at Chalet Reynard on the way down Ventoux - prices didn't seem too bad considering the location when I was there - or you could stop in Sault.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Paul 8v
    Cool, thanks for the info, all three sounds like a good aim!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,910
    There aren't going to be any climbs in this country that can replicate the Ventoux, so just get used to riding a steady tempo for the duration of that climb (probably around 90 minutes). A turbo is probably the best way to do that as you won't get the interruptions you often get out on the road.

Do that and look to arrive as trim as possible and I'm sure you'll be fine. Oh and think through your eating/drinking for the day. If you're working hard it's not easy to chew things so make sure you have some energy you can either drink or suck down, and of course plenty of fluids if it's a hot day.
  • Get the gears you need to be able to keep going even when your tired (i.e. after an hour or so) Practice taking on liquids (and food/energy drink) - find something that suits you.
    You can roughly work out how long it will take you - train progressively towards that in time and effort - but you don't need hills to do that . Turbo 2 x 20 s are good, hour sessions as fast as you can - but well paced and then a few longer sessions. Perhaps drive to soem serious hills nearer your event so you can get a feel for the real thing - tho' there is nothing like it in the Uk really.
    Ventoux is long and can be very hot. The climb up from BEdoin is lumpy before Chalet Reynard, the route up from Sault easier as far as the Challet anyway. From Maluacene is very pretty - lovely views but about as hard as from Bedoin.
    And a big thumbs up for the Nesque gorge - stunning in both directions - easy to combine with Ventoux or use as a gentle warm up the day before. Doable on a three speed - and little traffic - so family cycling too!
  • Paul 8v
    I've been thinking about getting a turbo trainer for a while to be fair sonow may be the time! I imagine there will be places to hire decent bikes over there? My dad cycles abroad a lot and has had quite a few incidents with baggage handlers smashing bikes up! Either that or hire a minibus , hoping to get a group of people together.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,910
    I've never had too many problems with bikes on a plane. I tend to use cardboard boxes with plenty of bubble wrap. So far so good.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    For bike hire La Route Du Ventoux bike shop are good. They are situated in Bedoin and their website is here http://www.francebikerentals.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx. I'd recommend hiring a triple if its your first time on a big climb.

As for training just make sure you can pedal a steady effort for an hour and a half to two hours non-stop. In the absence of living at the bottom of an alpine climb, that's best done somewhere flat so don't worry about not being near hills.

If starting from Bedoin your first real chance for a break will be Chalet Reynard. If you get there you know you'll make it.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I always recommend this http://blog.condorcycles.com/2010/06/pa ... e-bag.html

Be zealous with the bubble wrap.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Paul 8v
    Cool, it might be a good option for some of the other guys anyway as for that sort of money it's not too bad, I don't suppose anyone will want to shell out for a new Madone but renting it might be nice. Hopefully I'll have my Canyon by then :-)
    Herbsman, are you Captain buckfast? I do enjoy that facebook page!