TdF n' Thomas

13»

Comments

• Mooro wrote:
    quick question - why is froome called Fenton? Is really clever and obscure rhyming slang?

I've assumed it's because he ran off in the TdF :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Get a load of this:
    A Sky rider will podium/win one of the cobbled classics.
    JTL will podium/win one of the Ardennes classics.
    A Sky rider will podium at all 3 GT's (Wiggo and Fenton. Don't know who the 3rd will be - what am psychic?)

Oooh Nice claims! It's time to start the predictions thread for 2013! Some big ones coming out recently
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mooro wrote:
    quick question - why is froome called Fenton? Is really clever and obscure rhyming slang?

'tis true. Froome Dog went all Fenton on Wiggo and Sky
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    That's chicken sh!t.

Handbag.jpg
  • squired wrote:
    We don't need to worry about Thomas going for Paris Roubaix. If Wiggo manages to win the Giro next year the cobbles will presumably be his next target.

I remember back when Chris Boardman hit the scene. Greg Lemond said a lot about how he believed anyone capable of doing great time trials was also capable of turning themselves into Grand Tour winners. Boardman never quite managed it, possibly in part due to his health, maybe aso due to riding clean. However, one could apply that logic to Geraint Thomas too.

Boardman was probably a tad too heavy, but not helped by riding clean (well like to believe so) against dopers, and lets not forget he did manage a 2nd at the Dauphiné Liberé one year.
  • It's funny that a GT contender can be created and farmed out by BC. What a sad state. I prefer and have much more respect for the riders that can achieve the dizzy heights based on solo hard work and natural talent.

You all know how old Fignon was when he won.

And from this era - Contador had one 4 GTs by the time he was 26. Yes 4 and yes at the same age G is now. He also won 6 stage races, 3 Velo d'Or and 1 UCI World ranking.

He is a good rider, a decent bloke and maybe has a good placing in him but he isn't a True Champion and never will be.

Ps I find it odd that any thread on British and or Sky related issue/rider can go for three plus pages in an afternoon.

I'd agree comments on GT been a likely Tout winner are fanciful. Yep, we know how old Fignon was when he won his first tour. I think we can discount the steakman though, if Spain had USADA type investigation, Contador would most likely be back to zero GTs like Lance :)
  • squired wrote:
    We don't need to worry about Thomas going for Paris Roubaix. If Wiggo manages to win the Giro next year the cobbles will presumably be his next target.

I remember back when Chris Boardman hit the scene. Greg Lemond said a lot about how he believed anyone capable of doing great time trials was also capable of turning themselves into Grand Tour winners. Boardman never quite managed it, possibly in part due to his health, maybe aso due to riding clean. However, one could apply that logic to Geraint Thomas too.

Boardman was probably a tad too heavy, but not helped by riding clean (well like to believe so) against dopers, and lets not forget he did manage a 2nd at the Dauphiné Liberé one year.

I know this is a G thread, but I was watching this again the other day - Boardman winning the 94 Prologue in his first TdF in 94, with a record time that still stands...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/OjJ60Kx2j8I
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Mooro wrote:

Go on YouTube and search for 'Fenton deer' or similar...

I love it :lol::lol::lol:
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Get a load of this:
    A Sky rider will podium at all 3 GT's (Wiggo and Fenton. Don't know who the 3rd will be - what am psychic?)

I reckon the 3rd GTer will be Ritchie Porte, Vuelta
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • edhornby wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Get a load of this:

Its Rich-tea Porte :)

In interview with Shane Sutton in the new Cyclist mag he talks of Sky developing Porte into a future Tour winner
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    edhornby wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Get a load of this:

It'll be Henao and Uran I would imagine.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    1st Welshman to win the TdF.
    I'll put a fiver on it...
    Apart from Richmond Racer, you're all full of it...
    Bet AGAINST him - I dare you!
    I double dare you (a la Pulp Fiction!)
    If Brailsford says it can happen, and Geraint
    wants it enough, it will come to pass.
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • prb007 wrote:

Handbag.jpg
  • is a Prada handbag your new signature post, Greased? Cos otherwise that's the most useless musette I've ever seen
    :)
  • is a Prada handbag your new signature post, Greased? Cos otherwise that's the most useless musette I've ever seen

It's a Prada?
  • it is indeed
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    is a Prada handbag your new signature post, Greased? Cos otherwise that's the most useless musette I've ever seen

It's a Prada?

Did the Mrs tell you she bought it from Primark?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

It's a Prada?

She'll just say that its a knock-off, Greased, and you'll be none the wiser :)
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Until the joint account statement comes through the post.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

It's a Prada?

She'll just say that its a knock-off, Greased, and you'll be none the wiser :)

This maybe explains why she was so upset when she was given one of these...

tesco_1724136c.jpg
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    prb007 wrote:

Handbag.jpg
    SWISH...thats the sound of a swinging handbag!
    Wossup, greased, smarting cos Irishmen have won the
    TdF, an Englishman just did and a Welshman will, shortly,
    yet no Scotsman on the rise to take up the mantle?
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...