TdF n' Thomas

Comments

• S'funny, I would have said that Hincapie would by the end of his career won either Flanders or Roubaix. Shows what I know!

Yes, I'm gutted he didn't. He was often there or thereabouts, but never quite had the luck needed to win.

Agreed he was always there or thereabouts, but I don't think he had the aggression to win rather than the luck. But that's maybe for another thread.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    No idea what you mean, Greased?

If Thomas is seen as a potential TdF winner, then why not other riders who have come through the BC track programme? Pursuiters in particular. That's where Wiggins came from and Thomas as well. Is that not the argument with Thomas?

Presumably because their 'numbers' & results on the road don't suggest they can.

I don't think they are suggesting Thomas could win the TdF just because he has a similar background as Wiggins!
    Mañana
  • Good crash technique, mind you

Could be helpful. If he is trying to follow Wiggin's career, then he might avoid the broken collarbone in the 2011 TdF! :D
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Oh for sure. Clancy doesn't seem interested in the road at all. But then what about Burke, he is only 24.

Mind you, I don't think Thomas will win the TdF.
    In another few years we might be sat here discussing whether Burke can win the Tour just like Thomas did ;)
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Yeah, Pursuiters come in all shapes and sizes. Big, powerful flatlander types like Clancy, Bobridge, Phinney; tiny climbers like Pete Kennaugh; then those in the middle like Thomas, Dennis, Meyer.
  • pb21 wrote:
    I don't think they are suggesting Thomas could win the TdF just because he has a similar background as Wiggins!

So what is it based on then? His 31st place in the 2011 race?

I think that numbers have alot to do with it at BC.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    He wears a performance enhancing bracelet. He is going to win everything next year because of it.
  • i'm not going to lie even if he is capable of winning it, i would rather see him stick to one day races, much more fun to watch IMO, i thought P Kennaugh was the back up for first British winner of the Tour, be good to see the two of them mature into top top road riders in the next few years
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    So can Geraint Thomas follow in the footsteps of Wiggins and win the Tour?

No.

Really no.

Rationale, Rick, for such adament belief of 'no'?

He's what, 26?

Needs to have won a lot more by now to be a tdf contender
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

No.

Really no.

He's what, 26?

You could have said the same about Wiggins, or even Lance Armstrong :wink:

I happen to agree with you though Rick, i'd rather see Thomas concentrate on the classics and short stage races, but that's probably for my own personal preference as much as anything.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey

No.

Really no.

He's what, 26?

You could have said the same about Wiggins, or even Lance Armstrong :wink:

I happen to agree with you though Rick, i'd rather see Thomas concentrate on the classics and short stage races, but that's probably for my own personal preference as much as anything.

Yeah.

I said Wiggins would never win the Tour so what do I know?

Armstrong had won the worlds in 1992. And he underwent a significant transformation - one that Gerraint is unlikely to want to participate in....

Wiggins had won a fair bit more than Thomas had at this age.

I genuinely think Wiggins is a one off. Shane Sutton said as much IRRC on that sky prog - basically saying Brad won the olmypics whilst being a semi slacker - he had the talent to do a lot more. Turns out he was right.
  • Rick, au contraire, take a look at me post....G's won considerably more on the road than Wiggins had by this point in his career...

But who knows he'll progress...
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Thomas has barely had a chance to ride for himself, and certainly never to ride for GC in a big stage race.

I think he has everything needed to be a perfectly decent stage race rider, but there's a big difference between that and Tour de France winner.
  • rick_chasey
    I love these threads btw.
  • Just marking time till the inevitable explosion of Boonen-is-God posts in a few months time

8)
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170

I think threads like this used to be about Boonen or Hincapie going for the TdF, which is a different kettle of fish than Thomas. Especially considering it is Sky saying it and not some misguided fans.
    Mañana
  • rick_chasey
    pb21 wrote:

I think threads like this used to be about Boonen or Hincapie going for the TdF, which is a different kettle of fish than Thomas. Especially considering it is Sky saying it and not some misguided fans.

No no no. Not being sarky.

I genuinely like looking at/discussing what riders could be capable of.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    pb21 wrote:

The "Hincapie coulda been a contender" line wasn't from misguided fans, though - even Disco and Lance were spinning it.
    Plus, unlike Thomas, Hincapie has won a mountain stage in the Tour. :wink:
    <hides>

No harm Sky having a succession plan. Even if Thomas wasn't the ideal Tour candidate, I'm sure Sky would prefer him "inside the tent".
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • LangerDan wrote:
    <hides>

:D
    LangerDan wrote:
    No harm Sky having a succession plan. Even if Thomas wasn't the ideal Tour candidate, I'm sure Sky would prefer him "inside the tent".

Don't they already have one? Froome is only a year older than Thomas!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited November 2012
    It's funny that a GT contender can be created and farmed out by BC. What a sad state. I prefer and have much more respect for the riders that can achieve the dizzy heights based on solo hard work and natural talent.

You all know how old Fignon was when he won.

And from this era - Contador had one 4 GTs by the time he was 26. Yes 4 and yes at the same age G is now. He also won 6 stage races, 3 Velo d'Or and 1 UCI World ranking.

He is a good rider, a decent bloke and maybe has a good placing in him but he isn't a True Champion and never will be.

Ps I find it odd that any thread on British and or Sky related issue/rider can go for three plus pages in an afternoon.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LangerDan wrote:
    <hides>

:D
    LangerDan wrote:

Don't they already have one? Froome is only a year older than Thomas!

Hmmm...we-ll, yes...I'd bet good money that just from personal preference they'd do a 2 Fentons for the price of 1 Thomas, given half the chance. Fenton may have been turned into a damned good GT guy but he's proved to be more than a little flakey - flakey during the Tour and going off plan, caused them a media headache they could have lived without, gobbing off in the media during and after the Tour, now gobbing off that Sky broke promises to Cav etc. Not really 'Mr Reliable', is he.

He'll go to the Tour as leader assuming that plans and prep stay as they are re Wiggo and the Giro but...if Froome doesnt cut it next year I'm not sure how much faith Sky will keep with him the following season. They're building a helluva GT superteam and they're not going to be spoilt for choice.

Just me opinion.
  • Hmmm...we-ll, yes...I'd bet good money that just from personal preference they'd do a 2 Fentons for the price of 1 Thomas, given half the chance. Fenton may have been turned into a damned good GT guy but he's proved to be more than a little flakey - flakey during the Tour and going off plan, caused them a media headache they could have lived without, gobbing off in the media during and after the Tour, now gobbing off that Sky broke promises to Cav etc. Not really 'Mr Reliable', is he.

He'll go to the Tour as leader assuming that plans and prep stay as they are re Wiggo and the Giro but...if Froome doesnt cut it next year I'm not sure how much faith Sky will keep with him the following season. They're building a helluva GT superteam and they're not going to be spoilt for choice.

Just me opinion.

Not a big fan of the Froome-ster then? Think you could be right that Team Sky are hedging their bets. If it doesn't work out with Froome, then they still have a chance with Thomas.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    I really really like the guy, but I don't think he has enough of a killer instinct to be a GT contender. I'd love to see him race the classics as No1 (hell, any race as No1), but I suspect that even for them he has nt got enough...X-factor. He might end up winning one or two by mistake or by being the last man standing, but I can't imagine him ever doing a Boonen or Cancellara. That Aubisque stage is a good example, sod the money, future winners of GT's would have ridden over the top first just for the bragging rights!

The Team Pursuit was a perfect race for him!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Even though he's not much older than Thomas, I think Froome's "purple patch" will coincide with Wiggins'. I doubt that either his form or his patience will remain intact until Bradley decides he's done with GTs.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    We don't need to worry about Thomas going for Paris Roubaix. If Wiggo manages to win the Giro next year the cobbles will presumably be his next target.

I remember back when Chris Boardman hit the scene. Greg Lemond said a lot about how he believed anyone capable of doing great time trials was also capable of turning themselves into Grand Tour winners. Boardman never quite managed it, possibly in part due to his health, maybe aso due to riding clean. However, one could apply that logic to Geraint Thomas too.
  • LangerDan wrote:
    Even though he's not much older than Thomas, I think Froome's "purple patch" will coincide with Wiggins'. I doubt that either his form or his patience will remain intact until Bradley decides he's done with GTs.

Which according to Wiggo's new book, will be in just a couple of years. Wants to go for the Giro and P-R, ride the Worlds '15...then finish his career riding the TP in Rio in '16
  • rick_chasey
    squired wrote:
    We don't need to worry about Thomas going for Paris Roubaix. If Wiggo manages to win the Giro next year the cobbles will presumably be his next target.

I remember back when Chris Boardman hit the scene. Greg Lemond said a lot about how he believed anyone capable of doing great time trials was also capable of turning themselves into Grand Tour winners. Boardman never quite managed it, possibly in part due to his health, maybe aso due to riding clean. However, one could apply that logic to Geraint Thomas too.

Too heavy.
  • squired wrote:

Bradley Wiggins will not win Paris Roubaix.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,234
    squired wrote:

Bradley Wiggins will not win Paris Roubaix.

That's chicken sh!t.
    It's easy to talk about what people might not win.
    My mum will not win L-B-L (she will have almost certainly let herself go over the Winter).
    My granddad will not win Tour of Oman (he's dead).

Get a load of this:
    A Sky rider will podium/win one of the cobbled classics.
    JTL will podium/win one of the Ardennes classics.
    A Sky rider will podium at all 3 GT's (Wiggo and Fenton. Don't know who the 3rd will be - what am psychic?)

There's no other team that can say that right now (irrespective of how accurate that actually turns out to be) without looking much more of a nob-end than I do by stating that.
    And I defy anyone to look more of a nob-end than me.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 480
    quick question - why is froome called Fenton? Is really clever and obscure rhyming slang?