Help: Supermagneto Pro, Jetfluid Pro or KK Road Machine?

Danny_B9
Danny_B9 Posts: 55
I am new to cycling so much so that I am picking up first road bike this weekend but also need a tubro trainer mainly to improve my fitness but also the fact I wanted to get started biking next spring but I couldnt resist £600 off the bike I wanted so bought one now and the most use it will get to start with will be on a turbo due to the fact over Christmas I will biuld up enough equipment to get out on the roads and go for propper rides other than comuting at night too. Literally read 100's of reviews on different trainers but wanted some advice specific to my needs/situtaion.

I have my eye on the following and their prices (based on good reviews):

Cycleops Jetfluid Pro £216 new
Cycleops Supermagneto Pro £227 new
Kurt Kinetic Road Machine £295 new

Basically the turbo will be used by me 5 times a week every morning for around 45-60 mins and my dad 5 times a week in the evening for only around 30 mins to start with. I want something durable (I weigh 92kg and my dad 102kg) that will last years and not need replacing and ideally lifetime warranty leading me to my choices above, any other recomendations would be great.

My max budget is the KK road machine but ideally if there wont be any major advantage of having that over the jet fluid pro then I would rather pay for the Jet Fluid pro/Super magneto Pro. That is where im hoping anyone with expereince of both, all three or just the one can maybe help?

All help is appriciated,

Thanks, Danny.
Cannondale Supersix Apex

Comments

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    My experience of a KK machine - an older, basic one, is that they are heavy/solid pieces of kit and do appear to have great durability.
    Mine is 5+ years old, has been used pretty regularly in my turbo-cave (garage) plus occasionally traipsing with it in the car to a club turbo night once or twice a week. It is a heavy old beast but I would recommend it without much quesstion.
    The power computer is/were (think they have changed - hopefully for the better) are a bit kack as I've had 2 fail on me and now do without plus I had one of the roller tension knobs strip a thread after a year or so but KK sorted that out very efficiently (they sent 2 sets of the parts I needed) and since then it has given zero problems.
    Heavy flywheel so a good smooth effect and I have done short sprints and 1 hour rides and it's done the trick.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I have a KK for sale in the Road Parts classified: Road Machine with additional flywheel. £150 pickup in London or add postage at cost.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Hi.

I have just replaced a supermagneto pro with a KK road machine.

I had to return two supermagneto,s due to the adjuster popping out when doing intervals(i am just too powerful!).

The KK seems really sturdy and ideal for intervals on trainerroad.com and just having a easyish session.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    I have a KK Road Machine and can highly recommend it. Starting its third winter's use now with no problems. Its a very sturdy piece of kit so your weight will be no problem. When I bought the KK I also looked at the Cyclops Jet fluid which at the time was around the same price as the KK. I went with the KK as it has a sealed fluid resistance unit with a magnetic coupling meaning it can't leak. The Jet Fluid pro has an o-ring on the shaft so if that goes it will leak although in practise I don't think this happens very often. Really either one will do you nicely. My preference is for a fluid rather than magnetic trainer as they are closer to a road experience plus there is no need to faff around with resistance settings- if you want to suffer more just change up a gear and pedal harder.
  • I did read that the cycleops fluid trainers do have the potential to leak if the o-ring goes which is why have thrown the KK into the mix even though it is £80 more than the fluid pro, I dont mind paying if im getting qaulity but its just deciding if i go with a fluid pro for £80 less.

Also Phil thanks for the offer, i did e-mail you the other day about your KK but i have decided i want to buy a new turbo just so I have lifetime warranty for Piece of mind.
    Cannondale Supersix Apex
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Sorry, you did indeed pm me. My bad!
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • The cheapest i can find the KK Road machine is for £287.99 for Winstanley's:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... bo_Trainer

Still very un-decided on that or the Cylcleops Jet fluid pro... I currently have a Jet Fluid Pro on order for £216 from amazon but it is out of stock so I can cancel at any time. Cheapest in stock i can find it is £245 and ideally i wanted one for next week... hmm decisions.

I have read loads of great reviews of the KK but not too many reviews of the Jet Fluid pro (although all are good reviews) but cant seem to find any issue with it. I get the impression the KK maybe the best to go for at the moment with current prices, does anyone think they are likely to drop any lower?
    Cannondale Supersix Apex
  • No.

Get bullet and bite.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    I doubt prices will drop as this is the prime time of year for selling turbos. If you wanted a bargain you should have bought in mid summer.
  • Well I was not really looking for a bargin as such but I only asked if people think they would get cheaper as I had seen last year at this time Winstanleys dropped the KK by £100 so wondered if that would happen again. Kind of need to order today so need to make a decision by dinner time on which one I am going for.
    Cannondale Supersix Apex
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    edited October 2012
    Danny_B9 wrote:
    I did read that the cycleops fluid trainers do have the potential to leak if the o-ring goes which is why have thrown the KK into the mix even though it is £80 more than the fluid pro, I dont mind paying if im getting qaulity but its just deciding if i go with a fluid pro for £80 less.

I think that may be older models, but regardless I wouldn't let it worry you. I bought a Fluid 2 on these forums and not long after getting it the resistance unit started making a funny noise. I emailed Saris and without asking any questions or for proof of purchase even, they sent me out a replacement resistance unit. So I expect that if the seals did go on a Fluid Pro you'd get a replacement FoC.
    More problems but still living....
  • That dose not sound too bad then, It was cycleops website I read that they only issue a refund to the origional person that purchased the product and also they ask you to obtain proof of purchase but your expereince seems to prove that this may not be the case anyway.

I just simply need to decide today if I stick with my £216 jet fluid pro out of stock purchase from amazon and wait for it to be in stock (Don't know when that will be) or buy a jet fluid pro in stock for £245 but if I do that then do I spend the extra £40 and get a KK road machine?

Im not just hoping this will be used for winter and actually use it a majority of the year in general seeing as the last couple of years have been poor weather and getting in some cardio in the week will always be best in the morning for me and weekends for Long rides out on my bike, so I feel £285 on a turbo used by two people 5 days a week is justifiableI guess the main point of this thread was to determine which would be the best buy out of the Jet fluid pro and KK road machine. Hopefully my mind will be made up later, im swaying towards the KK.
    Cannondale Supersix Apex
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Get a KK Road Machine - got mine used a couple of years ago and its had quite a bit of use and is still rock solid, fairly quiet (esp with a turbo tyre) and rock solid for really high effort intervals and longer sessions.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Well just pulled the trigger on a KK Road machine new from Winstanley bikes - £287.99 which is the cheapest I could find it anywhere, look forward to this weekend, first road bike and a new turbo now I just need to save for everything else haha.

What would be the best way to use the turbo as I am literally a beginner to everything to do with road cycling!? So rather than just sit down and do a consitent 45-60 mins is there anything you guys would advise to do in particular?
    Cannondale Supersix Apex