Turbo's with Power

wacka
wacka Posts: 169
I'm looking at a turbo trainer with power measurement facility. Any advise on a decent one for up to a grand? Doesnt have to be a VR trainer, I'm only interested in power.

Cheers

Comments

• twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Honestly with the budget you have just buy a proper power meter for your bike and a cheap turbo. Much more accurate and you can use it on the road too. You should be able to find a Powertap or Power2max system to fit your budget.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    FSA Gossamer Power2max + basic Garmin Edge 500 + Tacx Satori = £990.

Another £70 gets you the Rotor version and you won't have to wait until the end of November.

The above will be more accurate than a turbo that measures power, 'cause there are no losses via chain vibration, wheel flex or tyre deformation.

Just out of curiosity, why do you only want to measure power on the turbo and not on outdoor rides?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • crff
    crff Posts: 6
    Wacka wrote:
    I'm looking at a turbo trainer with power measurement facility. Any advise on a decent one for up to a grand? Doesnt have to be a VR trainer, I'm only interested in power.

Cheers
    Have a look at the cyclops power beam with the built in power metre i use one and its excellent.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    powertap rear wheel and great turbo (KK Road Machine) would be cheaper/same price and can be used year round with consistency on the road and indoors - any reason why you want a turbo with power?
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Wacka wrote:

Cheers
    2nd hand Computrainer. Not sure what they are new over there, but new here they are close to that.

I'm not sure if anything less pricey measures power with any level of suitable accuracy.

Another option might be Lemond Revolution. That's a trainer that does have a highly repeatable power-speed relationship.

And another might be a powertap wheel with a good trainer, like a Kurt Kinetic, or some good rollers, one's that allow a little fore-aft movement in the frame like models from e-motion or tacx.
  • Power is king, but only if you understand what you are doing with the information.

Atb
  • indjke
    indjke Posts: 85
    Herbsman wrote:
    there are no losses via chain vibration, wheel flex or tyre deformation.
    wtf?! :shock:

and by the way ALL those losses are present when you are transferring your power onto the road in real ride :)
    Boardman Team C / 105 / Fulcrum Racing 3
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Good point, but the idea is to measure how hard you are pedaling. The closer the measurement to the pedals the better
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!