Clicking noise

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited October 2012 in The workshop
My new build SS has an annoying clicking noise. It only happens when you are putting force into the pedal strokes, I have tried to listen where but too much wind noise and getting off the bike is no good as you have to be pressing down / on the bike for the noise to appear. Its random sometimes its there sometime not

All the components are brand new, I have checked for play in the BB nothing. I have tightened the crank arm bolts as tight as I dare plus any other bolts I can see. The wheels are standard bolts and again are very tight with no play. No side to side play or fore/aft play in the wheel or hub. The spokes are all of uniform tension and wheels along with everything else is brand new.

Some people have mentioned the pedals. These seem to be very well screwed in but I will regrease and re-fit.

The only other thought I had was it could be the BB, whilst new its a cheapo shimano square taper with plastic screw in cups not metal ones. It cost me £8 from chain reaction, the chain is also a cheap £3 SS chain (brand new though)

Thoughts.

Comments

• mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    I should also add that I don't think its the seatpost as the noise happens when I am pedalling out of the saddle too.

There is very little clearence between the frame chainstay and the chainset i.e the frame is designed to take a 46t Max chainset which is what I have but the clearence from the inside edge of the chainset side closest to rear freewheel is only about 1mm, It spins freely and there are no marks on the frame suggesting its come into contact.
  • Could be the bottom bracket - had a creaking noise from there a couple of weeks ago and fixed it by removing and regreasing the BB threads. Looks like it was caused by water ingress from the manufacturing holes on the frame seatstays as there was a fair amount of rusty water when the BB was removed.
  • Jus wanted to add that cheap shimano square taper (UN-26, UN 54) will last longer with less fuss than most high-end BB-s.
  • Rothsay
    Rothsay Posts: 64
    This sounds like the problem I have at the moment. I thought it was the pedals but it is still there with a different set. The BB seems nice and tight but it is still there - at trip to the lbs is on the cards.