Fat burners?...

2»

Comments

• SpeedFræk
    SpeedFræk Posts: 111
    3 years jointly studying general/psychiatric nursing can turn you into a cynic and skeptic. Everything must be based on fact and I would only ever use CLA because of the majority of positive findings (3 years ago). The rest are just a gimmick and can even be bad for your health. I believe however if you exercise, eat a healthy diet you will be fine. However I used these just to sort of "aid" in my weight loss. I'm now 2 stone lighter and run a total of 25k over a 5 day week.

I remember watching panorama and most of these health supplements were a gimmick like recovery shakes etc. it was very informative for the general public.

I don't need food supplements I eat a healthy diet and keep fit daily, its really all you need to do, however it is my choice to use a insanity and to take CLA. The Facebook page from people's success stories were very inspiring for me. So I wanted to try it and I cannot say anything negative about it other than it really does kill you!

My recovery is a jam and peanut butter on a slice of brown bread and a glass of milk :lol:

Sarah
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    did you try a real test though ? i.e. seeing how much weight you lost without the CLA ?

40 mins of hard exercise, 6 days a week, with a good diet will lead to weight loss

the key here is a good diet. You try taking CLA while munching down on Maccy Ds. Wont make a blind bit of difference.

Not saying it doesn't work at all, but like most supplements, its <= 5% impact.

The rest comes from diet and activity.
  • SpeedFræk
    edited July 2012
    DCR00 wrote:
    did you try a real test though ? i.e. seeing how much weight you lost without the CLA ?

40 mins of hard exercise, 6 days a week, with a good diet will lead to weight loss

the key here is a good diet. You try taking CLA while munching down on Maccy Ds. Wont make a blind bit of difference.

Not saying it doesn't work at all, but like most supplements, its <= 5% impact.

The rest comes from diet and activity.

Hello,I have quite a good knowledge base on fitness and nutrition.

I didn't no. But it was something we studied at university as part of health promotion and nutrition which is pretty hard going when you get into the nitty gritty. Like I said in my previous posts - all you need is plenty of exercise and a healthy diet. However CLA does seem to be very popular, it is a natural substance and I do not mind taking it. I do believe that the weight loss is not going to be substantial taking CLA on its on its own without any sort of exercise :). There is no magic weight loss out there.

I do recommend running, the weight has fallen off of me. I do drink plenty of water too, it does curb your appetite however people need to be careful with over drinking which can be very dangerous and eating sensibly.
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 57
    FCN=10 Carrera Subway II with touring kit = rack, 2x Panniers and a bottle.
    No car, just a bike for everything 100+ miles / week. Commute daily Chorlton-Manchester or Chorlton-Horwich
  • SpeedFræk
    Absolutely, kangaroo yummy!

It really is delicious by the way. I tried it about 5 years ago.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    SpeedFræk wrote:
    it is a natural substance
    So is opium. And even cocaine, I believe. And fly agaric. And deadly nightshade.
    Natural does not mean "good for you". It just means it's naturally occurring.
  • Girya
    Girya Posts: 23
    Cheaper than fat burners and Insanity training, which is just HIIT using body weight, it's free http://www.spartacusworkout.com/

Really want to burn fat, 16-24kg Kettlebell, 200+ swings everyday, 10 minutes for 200 swing session. Eat clean, forget the got to have carbs stuff, eat protein, protein for breakfast, protein and colourful foods for lunch and dinner. No grain, rice or starchy foods. Your body will adapt and burn fat, I did a 100k session the other morning, zero food only drank water.

Supplement industry is full of junk, I swallow protein shakes, have some pretty intense supplements when I really want to train hard, depends what your goal is, for most supplements are unnecessary.
  • SpeedFræk
    Girya wrote:
    Cheaper than fat burners and Insanity training, which is just HIIT using body weight, it's free http://www.spartacusworkout.com/

Really want to burn fat, 16-24kg Kettlebell, 200+ swings everyday, 10 minutes for 200 swing session. Eat clean, forget the got to have carbs stuff, eat protein, protein for breakfast, protein and colourful foods for lunch and dinner. No grain, rice or starchy foods. Your body will adapt and burn fat, I did a 100k session the other morning, zero food only drank water.

Supplement industry is full of junk, I swallow protein shakes, have some pretty intense supplements when I really want to train hard, depends what your goal is, for most supplements are unnecessary.

I am going to try this.

Did you not feel quite light headed and shaky by not eating with low blood sugar?

I eat pasta its my favourite food but the majority is protein packed food. I used to take whey protein but stopped. Just drink plenty of water when I need to especially if you've ever worked out in southern Spain, I wait until the evenings.
  • Girya
    Girya Posts: 23
    SpeedFræk wrote:

I am going to try this.

Did you not feel quite light headed and shaky by not eating with low blood sugar?

I eat pasta its my favourite food but the majority is protein packed food. I used to take whey protein but stopped. Just drink plenty of water when I need to especially if you've ever worked out in southern Spain, I wait until the evenings.

No, light headed or shakes, the theory behind this is;

http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/10/12/sug ... ason-seib/

Low blood sugar and crashes and cravings, all went once I got my body adapted. If I want a carb rich meal, sweet potatoes and squash work well.

I'm not convinced all whey protein is the same though, the ones in 'health food shops' aren't that great.

DIY protein hit
    350ml Whole Milk
    4 tbsp Raw Almond Butter
    2 Egg Yolks (Raw)
    3 tbsp Chia Seeds
    1 tsp Vanilla Extract
    1/2tsp Cinnamon
  • SpeedFræk
    Thanks for that, added to my recipes! :mrgreen:
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    I have read somewhere that drinking lots of water with exercise also helps..
  • J_asonR
    J_asonR Posts: 55
    I used to be a heavy weight gym fanatic with a dream to become a natural bodybuilder..

Fat burners work, but only due to the high amounts of caffein.. It will increase your metabolism but pretty much as soon as you're off them, it'll go back to normal.. Bodybuilders used them close to a show to drop the fat, and then (as you've probably seen) they get fat right after the shows again!..

In terms of biking, I think the best thing to do would be to eat sensible and increase your time on the bike.. To get over a wall, you have to jump.. So get out there and do work!
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Can anybody recommend some fat burning tablets that actually work?

The good stuff contains Ephidrine but it's legality is a grey area. You can only get it through a pharmacist but stuff like eph is freely available online.

You can't just take it, you have to excercise as well but it makes you into a superhuman, no joke. You will run faster and further. Cycle faster. Lift harder weights and Revovery times will be shorter.

Side effects include possible heart failure, death, hunger supression, nose bleeds, headaches, bad temper. Sweat spots.

But fuck me does it work!
  • Rankles
    Rankles Posts: 144
    I am quite open to supplements from my weight training and always use a pre workout supplement and post workout protein when weight training, along with a recovery/sleep aid occasionally although that borders on my limit of what I want to be putting in my body.

That said I did try a fat burning matrix from a well respected brand in the former supplements as their other products are very effective.

I found the fat burners however to do nothing except suppress appetite and increase energy slightly (they contained caffeine so just a bit of a coffee esque buzz).

The appetite suppressant worked well but I believe in eating regularly so it just meant i was eating based on time rather than hunger. WIth the amount I train appetite is an important thing, as is nutrition.

I think they're better for bodybuilders who literally need to starve themselves to lose those last few body fat % before a competition, as for anyone else it's counter productive and unhealthy.
  • Im soon to qualify as a Personal Trainer. MOST fat burners dont work very well, as the increase in fat burning efficiency is small but I do reccomend Optimal Nutrition Fat Burners.

As mentioned you can consume not enough calories slowing your metabolism. Try to drink water regularly with 5 meals a day to help increase metabolism. Ditch fatty items for good fats(fish, nuts etc), use quality carbs from wholemeal products etc and consume decent protein especially after training.

if you pm me and supply me some personal details i can knock up a guide on your macro nutrient intake and give you a well balanced diet.