London to Paris charity event

dannyharris
dannyharris Posts: 217
Afternoon everyone

I am rather new to cycling and would like some advise.
I have requested and info pack on a London to Paris charity event, would like to do something worth while alongside this great hobby of riding.

My cycling back ground.

Been cycling on a MTB for the past 4 months to work and back 10 mile each way 5 days a week.

http://app.strava.com/rides/20159803

I have now been on a road bike for a week and loving every minute of it, been on a few rides between 30 and 40 miles.
My most recent
http://app.strava.com/rides/25850408

London to Paris may seem a bit too much so soon, what are your thoughts?
How should I train for this?
The weather does not phase me so will be out in all the elements over the next few months.
Is 7 months to short of a time to train for it?

Comments

• Velke
    Velke Posts: 61
    Hi

I did L2P in the summer and 7 months is plenty of time.

I convinced a friend to do it (after a charity space came free) 7 weeks before the event, at that time he didn't even have a Road Bike!

He's 53, ran 2 a twice and did the occasional MtB ride. For the 325 miles over 3 days he averaged just over 14 mph, so there are no excuses :D

We're doing the L2P again this year and hope to cycle together in Group 4 (17 mph) and possibly Group 3 (18-20 mph).

We were part of 400 plus riders doing it, it's a great experience and 1 you'll never forget..do it!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite - Ultegra Di2
    Canyon Inflite 9.0 - Ultegra
  • That sounds promising. I will wait for the info pack and see what it says. My next concern would be raising the money required. Hoping my employer will help out there.

I'm averaging 14 mph at the moment so hope to be a bit faster before the event.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Danny have a look at my thread: -

viewtopic.php?f=40003&t=12883207

When you raise money for the charity rides organisations most of the money never ends up with the charity and ends up with companies instead.

Best thing about our rides is that you can choose who you want to raise money for and donate however much you can afford.

Last year 10 of the riders rode for charity for all different causes, some splitting it between their favourites, but you need to be quick as we are finalising numbers for next years ride.

Plenty of time to get focused and training for it.
  • Got a banning notice after submitting my user details. ???
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Got a banning notice after submitting my user details. ???

If you try more than 3 times then it temporary bans you or if you try logging in as a guest.

PM me your name, email address and preferred username and I'll set you up otherwise Dan.

Problem sorted Dan. :mrgreen: