Turbos, Satori versions and TrainerRoad

springtide9
springtide9 Posts: 1,731
Been thinking about a turbo so that I can let my Gym membership slip... and have just bought the "Tacx Satori Pro" from decathlon (which seemed a bargain for £130 with wheel support and floor mat for £130)

Anyway, this looks really interesting to try and make it a bit more interesting....

My question is, looking at the supported turbos (http://www.trainerroad.com/virtual-power) it states the Tacx Satori is supported, but there are numbers after the model 1-10 - are these the resistance settings on the Satori?

Also, is there a difference between the Satori Pro and the Satori? I know 'Pro' doesn't always mean better, and as it was cheap, I'm wondering if the Pro is a cut down version?

http://www.tacx.com/en/products/trainers/satori [Model : T1856]
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/satori-pro-h ... 64386.html [ Model: T1830 - info from Amazon]

They appear to have slightly different model numbers... is the T1830 just the older model?

One more question... is there any requirement to use a dedicated turbo tyre for sessions? I have a pair of Conti Attack/Force tyres that I have stopped using as (a) they are too narrow for the rough roads around here (b) they were prone to punctures (c) didn't really provide enough grip when the roads got a little damp
Obviously I wouldn't care if the Attack/Force tyres got trashed as I can't really see me using them again... and seems a waste of cash to buy a dedicated turbo tyre unless I really have too. I'm also wondering as the Attack/Force tyres were pretty hard, that maybe they'd work reasonably well on the turbo (rather than a softer compound)

Thanks and sorry or all the questions....
Simon

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I got mine from Decathlon as well, 18 months back.
    A Sartori is probably a Sartori despite any extra label TACX put on it.

The Trainer Road numbers are the resistance numbers on the Sartori unit... you choose which 1 to ride with and TR does the rest with the power curve.
    Use the gears to make it easier or harder.
    I ride with it set to 5 and it feels like actual road work to me.

At mo I am using up an old Schwalbe blizzard tyre...this 1 has lasted since February I think and I have used ny sartori quite a bit..

I have some too worn for racing ProRace3 s but suspect they will disintegrate in shorter order on the turbo.. but at least get some extra use out of them.
    If need be I may get a Vittoria turbo specific tyre .. but no rush

I have thought about going 'up' for a new turbo.. but then I ask myself why..?
    The Sartori with TR does what I want it to.
  • I think the post above ansers most of your questions. The model number changes each year when a new model comes out. Sometimes it's just the colour that changes.....

Regarding Tyres - A Turbo specific tyre is harder wearing than a normal road tyre. But I've never, ever bothered to buy one and always use my old tyres to get by. Won't do the Turbo any harm, but eventually the tyre will wear and wear more quickly than a Turbo specific one. If you have some old tyres then don't waste your money, they'll see you through the winter and next winter you'll probably have another set of old tyres.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • springtide9
    Thanks ^ + ^^ answers all of my questions :)

JGSI - Agree with you about the investment in the Turbo.... plan to use it only when I really can't get out on the road over the winter ... you know, when you've been blown to death and have been soaked a few days in a row :D
    Simon
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    edited October 2012
    Been thinking about a turbo so that I can let my Gym membership slip... and have just bought the "Tacx Satori Pro" from decathlon (which seemed a bargain for £130 with wheel support and floor mat for £130)

Anyway, this looks really interesting to try and make it a bit more interesting....

My question is, looking at the supported turbos (http://www.trainerroad.com/virtual-power) it states the Tacx Satori is supported, but there are numbers after the model 1-10 - are these the resistance settings on the Satori?

Also, is there a difference between the Satori Pro and the Satori? I know 'Pro' doesn't always mean better, and as it was cheap, I'm wondering if the Pro is a cut down version?

http://www.tacx.com/en/products/trainers/satori [Model : T1856]
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/satori-pro-h ... 64386.html [ Model: T1830 - info from Amazon]

They appear to have slightly different model numbers... is the T1830 just the older model?

One more question... is there any requirement to use a dedicated turbo tyre for sessions? I have a pair of Conti Attack/Force tyres that I have stopped using as (a) they are too narrow for the rough roads around here (b) they were prone to punctures (c) didn't really provide enough grip when the roads got a little damp
    Obviously I wouldn't care if the Attack/Force tyres got trashed as I can't really see me using them again... and seems a waste of cash to buy a dedicated turbo tyre unless I really have too. I'm also wondering as the Attack/Force tyres were pretty hard, that maybe they'd work reasonably well on the turbo (rather than a softer compound)

Thanks and sorry or all the questions....

I think these have been answered, but here's my take on it.

On Trainer Road the Satori 1-10 does indeed refer to the resistance levels. I used the chart on the Tacx site to work out the slope and intercept (y = mx + c) for each level so I could calculate power from speed measured at the rear wheel from my Garmin. I can now do FTP tests and power based intervals by converting them to speed based intervals. I'll post the figures if anyone is interested.

The "Pro" and the T1830 refer to the package or box you've bought. The "Pro" version is just the specific package containing the trainer, mat, wheel support and dvd. I believe this is a "limited edition" package. T1856 is exactly the same trainer, but packaged with only a front wheel support. Dales in Glasgow are selling the Pro T1830 for £335 which is exactly the same as Decathlon are selling for £130! Evans are selling the T1856 for £225. Whatever way you look at it the Decathlon Satori is a bargain.

I'm also considering getting a trainer specific tyre. I find the Satori fairly noisy, but I'm not sure if a trainer tyre will make all that much difference to noise over a road slick (currently using a worn Schwalbe Ultremo ZX). The trainer tyres don't wear or shed as much and are more resistant to heat from the turbo. I'll make up my mind on this after a few more sessions with the Ultremo
  • Been thinking about a turbo so that I can let my Gym membership slip...

Why would a turbo eradicate the need for a gym membership? Winter is a great time to use the gym to iron out imbalances, build core stability and train the muscles that cycling doesn't.

I would use the turbo and also use the gym. Then cancel the gym in the summer when you can focus more on getting out and enjoying your bike.
  • springtide9
    @bobones : Thanks for the clarification... makes a lot of sense and has put my mind at rest.
    There is a saying that I'm fairly familiar with that states .. "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't"... So have been trying to figure out why the Decathlon deal was such a bargain... as in, is it a different model etc. etc.
    MarkAshton wrote:
    Been thinking about a turbo so that I can let my Gym membership slip...

Why would a turbo eradicate the need for a gym membership? Winter is a great time to use the gym to iron out imbalances, build core stability and train the muscles that cycling doesn't.

I would use the turbo and also use the gym. Then cancel the gym in the summer when you can focus more on getting out and enjoying your bike.

The only thing that I currently use my gym membership for currently, is for using the stationary bike while working from home, if I can't face going out in the weather, or have very limited time. I will usually still take the 'real bike' option even if it's windy and raining, but getting soaked day after day does get wearing :) as well as it not being worth if for less than an hour etc.

So currently, it's £50 a month for using the gym maybe once every other week... so £25 a session!

On the days I'm in the office, I have access to a gym as a pay as you go... so use this for any 'Core' classes etc.
    Simon