If you voted for Boris Johnson feel ashamed

2»

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Whether pro or con you have to concede that Boris is very very much brighter than the intentionally dim witted persona he portrays. And we all make mistakes - I don't think we should read anything too sinister into this.

However I think (correct me if I'm wrong) but the assertion was that 62% of cyclists involved in an RTA were breaking the law at the time and NOT that in 62% of incidences it was the cyclist's fault. These are very different statements.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    SimonAH wrote:
    However I think (correct me if I'm wrong) but the assertion was that 62% of cyclists involved in an RTA were breaking the law at the time and NOT that in 62% of incidences it was the cyclist's fault. These are very different statements.

That's pretty much correct, but it was not quite that clear cut - he said "breaking the rules of the road" a woolly term, if ever there was one (it sounds like the sort of comment and stat spouted from a barfly in Wetherspoons).

If it has any basis in fact, I'd be keen to see the report/study as it would make for interesting reading.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Origamist wrote:
    I think we'll be waiting quite a while for the figures Boris conjured up...

Hardly a surprise:

Boris Johnson admits to getting cycling accident statistics massively wrong

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/b ... tics-wrong
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Can't trust a man whose face looks like a V for vendetta mask, I mean look at the contributors page.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    But even adding these factors into the mix does not explain all the anger that cyclists experience. It's easy to identify other minority outgroups whose behaviour similarly challenges social norms but who do not get verbally and physically attacked like cyclists do: vegetarians, for example. So there's clearly one or more important variables that we've not identified yet. Any social psychologists looking for a challenge are very welcome to wade into this.

Aaaah Christ. I am so screwed.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    bails87 wrote:
    And a new 'fact' is born.... :roll:

Now a "zombie fact" that the likes of the Daily Mail will repeat for years, despite it being shot down it'll keep getting up again, and again

Boris Johnson is such a dangerous nasty c0ck.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    prj45 wrote:

Bit over the top, I'd say TFL were more of a problem in terms of danger to cyclists.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    prj45 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    And a new 'fact' is born.... :roll:

Now a "zombie fact" that the likes of the Daily Mail will repeat for years, despite it being shot down it'll keep getting up again, and again

Actually the Daily Mail story linked to pointed out that it was wrong.
    Boris claims 63 per cent of cyclists killed or seriously hurt broke laws of the road
    2009 report suggests DRIVERS are to blame for 64-70 per cent of crashes