1982 Vintage with new hoops

2»

Comments

• Bikes have always been expensive... this one in 1982 was bought for 2,000,000 lire, which was about 800-1000 pounds... what is it in today's money? 3-4 grand I assume, which is in line with something similar today. The only difference with today's bikes is that I am not sure these will be in the same conditions in 30 years time... for the reasons discussed above

Trouble is, back in 1982 there would have been someone making the same comments about your new bike not lasting in the same way bikes did in the 1950s!
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Bikes have always been expensive... this one in 1982 was bought for 2,000,000 lire, which was about 800-1000 pounds... what is it in today's money? 3-4 grand I assume, which is in line with something similar today. The only difference with today's bikes is that I am not sure these will be in the same conditions in 30 years time... for the reasons discussed above

Trouble is, back in 1982 there would have been someone making the same comments about your new bike not lasting in the same way bikes did in the 1950s!
    Funnily enough I do not recall that being so much a topic of conversation as it is today. Certain bikes were seen as being made better than others, but that is about it - at least from my memory, which stretches back into the 1960s
  • Hoopdriver wrote:
    Funnily enough I do not recall that being so much a topic of conversation as it is today. Certain bikes were seen as being made better than others, but that is about it - at least from my memory, which stretches back into the 1960s

I don't think it's that much of a topic today. Have a look in buying advice section. I don't see many people asking how long a bike will last. Most people don't want a bike that lasts 30 years, they will have bought something else by then.

But that isn't really what I wa getting at. Everything had to be new at some point. And then someone would have moaned about it. Such as the fancy derailleur gears. Or maybe the cable brakes. What was wrong with rod brakes? Far less likely to brake a rod than a gable! And the same thing will happen in the furture. Someone will be suggesting in 30 years from now that modern bikes don't last as long as a good old trusty carbon bike with electronic gears.
  • Bluedoggy wrote:
    My profession is in Art and design and this to me represents perfection in design lines and grace. Stunning vintage bike.

:D
    left the forum March 2023
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver wrote:

I don't think it's that much of a topic today. Have a look in buying advice section. I don't see many people asking how long a bike will last. Most people don't want a bike that lasts 30 years, they will have bought something else by then.

But that isn't really what I wa getting at. Everything had to be new at some point. And then someone would have moaned about it. Such as the fancy derailleur gears. Or maybe the cable brakes. What was wrong with rod brakes? Far less likely to brake a rod than a gable! And the same thing will happen in the furture. Someone will be suggesting in 30 years from now that modern bikes don't last as long as a good old trusty carbon bike with electronic gears.
    I was thinking specifically about the hoo-hah one hears about carbon cracking, getting wet, etc.
  • Hoopdriver wrote:
    I was thinking specifically about the hoo-hah one hears about carbon cracking, getting wet, etc.

But it's nonsense, isn't it? I have a carbon bike I bought in '91 and it's still in one piece. Anyway, this is maybe for another thread. And if I haven't already said, I do like Ugo S's bike. Retro-tastic! :D
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    nathancom wrote:
    donkykong wrote:
    great looking vintage bike, i just love the classic machines

They are coming back... the reliability and hassle free running make them viable alternatives to high maintenance fiddly 10-11 speeded modern bikes
    To be honest, I can't say I find 11-speed campag any more fiddly to maintain than a 7-speed downshifter drivetrain with the benefit of STIs.

It's probably relatively new... indexed gearing is bound to go out of tune and need periodic readjustments. Gear cables with inner and outer tend to get rusted and gunked with muck and need to be replaced far more frequently at great cost. Cassettes last a lot less than old freewheels. Narrow chains last a lot less than chunky 6-7 speed ones... bottom bracket bearings, freehubs, I can go on... 8)
    Well adjusting the indexing of the gears has hardly changed. A 1980s rear derailleur is exactly the same as contemporary one in all important respects. Bikes definitely require a lot of attention to run well but that is all part of the pleasure of owning them or a good source of income for LBS. Admittedly, STIs are a sealed component to me and I wouldn't know where to start to overhaul one but apart from that everything else can get adjusted in 5-10 mins after the bike is cleaned. Otherwise, the shorter lifespan of some components is a direct result of moving towards lighter materials and that is a price I am definitely willing to pay when I am peddling uphill or accelerating.

Don't get me wrong, I think that is a stunning bike and truly valid in its own right without need of comparison to modern machines. Likewise bikes produced today and the engineering involved in modern components is equally deserving of praise and admiration. Seeing that bike does make me miss my 80s steel frame. I guess replacing that can be a project for next year. :)
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver wrote:

But it's nonsense, isn't it? I have a carbon bike I bought in '91 and it's still in one piece. Anyway, this is maybe for another thread. And if I haven't already said, I do like Ugo S's bike. Retro-tastic! :D
    You're right. Different thread.

I like his bike too. A lot.

I like the cool retro rides he's done with it too
  • nathancom wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    donkykong wrote:
    great looking vintage bike, i just love the classic machines

They are coming back... the reliability and hassle free running make them viable alternatives to high maintenance fiddly 10-11 speeded modern bikes
    To be honest, I can't say I find 11-speed campag any more fiddly to maintain than a 7-speed downshifter drivetrain with the benefit of STIs.

It's probably relatively new... indexed gearing is bound to go out of tune and need periodic readjustments. Gear cables with inner and outer tend to get rusted and gunked with muck and need to be replaced far more frequently at great cost. Cassettes last a lot less than old freewheels. Narrow chains last a lot less than chunky 6-7 speed ones... bottom bracket bearings, freehubs, I can go on... 8)
    Well adjusting the indexing of the gears has hardly changed. A 1980s rear derailleur is exactly the same as contemporary one in all important respects. Bikes definitely require a lot of attention to run well but that is all part of the pleasure of owning them or a good source of income for LBS. Admittedly, STIs are a sealed component to me and I wouldn't know where to start to overhaul one but apart from that everything else can get adjusted in 5-10 mins after the bike is cleaned. Otherwise, the shorter lifespan of some components is a direct result of moving towards lighter materials and that is a price I am definitely willing to pay when I am peddling uphill or accelerating.

Don't get me wrong, I think that is a stunning bike and truly valid in its own right without need of comparison to modern machines. Likewise bikes produced today and the engineering involved in modern components is equally deserving of praise and admiration. Seeing that bike does make me miss my 80s steel frame. I guess replacing that can be a project for next year. :)

The weight saving is very small... my old SR derailleur weighs less than most modern ones. Assuming to fit all the components on a state of the art carbon frame and fitting a modern 200 grams saddle, the resulting bike would be well under 8 Kg... so groupsets haven't really gone much lighter than they were 30 years ago. I don't really get where the innovation has gone... a few more unnecessary sprockets and the Ergo shifters, which admittedly are handy, although not very durable and fiddly
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Amazing, that takes me back to my youth when I was just getting into the sport in 84-85.

I've not seen a real Super Record rear derailleur for a long time. Usually you see Gran Sports or Nuovo Record, guard that with your life :-)

What do you mean small cassette? 42-19 or 42-21 were "easy" gears back in the day. That's just the way things were, and your knees suffered for it. Campag was the first to introduce a 39 ring in the 90s, we all thought that was compact. Today you have wi-fli. Go figure...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • I have a spare SR dérailleur... I also have a much older gran sport