Magicshine adapter

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have 2 magicshine lamps for my bars, which usually means I use 2 battery packs but they are bulky and its hard to find space!

So i've been thinking of getting an adapter to run 2 lights from 1 battery.

C_01466_Magicshine_Y_Lead_1M_01_500x375-250x188.jpg

Not being a 'leccy, will this cause any issues?

I'll still carry the spare battery in my pack, but would I just drain the 2 batteries really quick or would they last the same as using 1 battery per lamp if I change batteries when one starts to die?

Thanks

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Can't see it being no different to running a front & rear light from the one battery like I do though the burn time will be much less obviously.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Should just drain them twice as fast. My extremely limited understanding of these things tells me so anyhow.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, each battery will last half as long.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    You might risk damaging the battery pack, I've read that fast discharge or recharge can limit the life of the batteries.

Will doubling the current draw on the battery push it above the recommended level?

Where's DIY the local light and battery expert?
  • well magicshine sell the adaptor to run a front and rear light or 2 fronts off 1 battery so it wont be a problem as above the battery should last half as long.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • jairaj wrote:
    You might risk damaging the battery pack, I've read that fast discharge or recharge can limit the life of the batteries.

Will doubling the current draw on the battery push it above the recommended level?

Where's DIY the local light and battery expert?

My thoughts exactly... I don't want these batteries blowing up on my bars haha!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I don't think they'll blow up but, might need replacing a lot sooner than normal.
  • Ok last question...

would it matter if i'm running 2 diifferent powered lights (one is 1200 lumen, the other 900 lumen) from the same battery? or is it all just as above?

Thanks!