What should be my max heart rate?

CyclingObsession
CyclingObsession Posts: 314
edited September 2012 in Training, fitness and health
What should my max heart rate be, Im 26 male,

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Sorry, but this is a ridiculous question.

No one could know, its unique to you, you need to do a test to find out.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    64kg. Oh hang on a minute....
    More problems but still living....
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Well it depends on whether your body fat is 6% or 7%. :lol:
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    well quick rule nice and simple

220 - age = a number....
  • danowat
    estampida wrote:
    well quick rule nice and simple

220 - age = a number....

It's also a load of balls in many cases.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    If you can't be bothered to do a test, you'll never train hard enough anyway. May as well go with the formula :)
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    I remember back in the early days of the internet when people took pride in their trolling.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    6W/Kg
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman
    It should be the highest possible rate at which your heart can beat.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Good lord
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Jesus wept
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    If you note your heart rate when you blackout at the top of a brutal mountain climb - subtract 1. :D
  • So do people know a good method of working it out with a heart rate monitor? Just peddle flat out until you cant go anymore?

Did this with running and managed to get my heart rate up to 200. Thought I was dead when I Googled it and found the formula ha.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    How tall are you?
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    isimba wrote:
    So do people know a good method of working it out with a heart rate monitor? Just peddle flat out until you cant go anymore?

Did this with running and managed to get my heart rate up to 200. Thought I was dead when I Googled it and found the formula ha.
    You need to combine some extended near-threshold work with a final sprint effort, e.g. pedal at a rate that you can only just manage to sustain for about 20 mins, then go absolutely as hard as you can for 15 or 20 seconds at the end. If you are not gasping loud enough to disturb the neighbours and feeling a little faint or nauseous afterwards, you probably haven't done it hard enough.
  • mustol wrote:
    If you note your heart rate when you blackout at the top of a brutal mountain climb - subtract 1. :D
    so MAX = MAX -1 ? :wink:
  • Don't know but mine was 200 when I was 40 :?
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    neeb wrote:
    isimba wrote:
    So do people know a good method of working it out with a heart rate monitor? Just peddle flat out until you cant go anymore?

You need to combine some extended near-threshold work with a final sprint effort, e.g. pedal at a rate that you can only just manage to sustain for about 20 mins, then go absolutely as hard as you can for 15 or 20 seconds at the end. If you are not gasping loud enough to disturb the neighbours and feeling a little faint or nauseous afterwards, you probably haven't done it hard enough.

I don't think this would get you to your max. Better to ramp up the intensity gradually over 15-20 mins.
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    Wow, why are people being such a**-holes. Its a fair question.

Try reading this - http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... sts-28838/

yes using a formula to work it out might not be the most accurate but not everyone can go and get it tested properly so its better than nothing.

If people don't have anything useful to say they should STFU. Everyone has to start somewhere and useless trolls dont help anyone.

Go buy a car
  • Chris87 wrote:

Try reading this - http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... sts-28838/

yes using a formula to work it out might not be the most accurate but not everyone can go and get it tested properly so its better than nothing.

If people don't have anything useful to say they should STFU. Everyone has to start somewhere and useless trolls dont help anyone.

Go buy a car
    Take your own advice
  • danowat
    Chris87 wrote:

Go buy a car

Love the irony in this post, nice one fella :)
  • Herbsman
    Chris87 wrote:
    I agree. The formula is better than nothing. In the same way that picking any random number between 145 and 220 is better than nothing. Both are equally useless.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    wilo13 wrote:
    You also have to note that the max HR figure you use for cycling will be different to running.
    wilo13 wrote:
    This has been shown in many studies as well.
    Interesting. I knew that many less experienced cyclists find it difficult to get their HR as high when cycling as when running, but always assumed this was due to technique. As you become better at cycling, you learn to fully exert yourself in a way that is difficult at first. Is this limit in HR because the upper body is largely motionless? You would still think that if the demands from the legs are enough the heart would beat as fast as it is able to. Or maybe there is some feedback thing in the nervous system that stops the HR completely maxing out as long as some muscles are not being used?