Struggling With Confidence When Going Downhill

2»

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You know they say you go where you look, well look at the ground just in front of the front wheel and that's where you faceplant!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Been up to Sherwood Pines this morning, managed to dodge the rain and do the blue trail. Did loads better than last time! Bearing in mind this is only the third time I have done it though :) .

Followed all the advice on here and I can't believe how much I have improved :D Still not going at top speed, am not quite that brave yet, but managed to do the downhill parts a lot faster than last time and also I have learned to stop looking at my front wheel all the time and can now actually follow a straight line easily :oops:

Been practising using the front brake too and it makes such a difference!

There is one part of the blue trail that I am quite a bit more hesitant on than anywhere else and it's a part where it is a very steep short downhill bit with a sharp left turn at the bottom of it. I am still trying to manage to keep my balance going down it as it is very uneven (not sure if anyone knows the bit I am trying to describe?) and I sort of have to veer off to one side of it to the flatter parts as there is a huge dip that runs through the middle. I managed to get down it today without coming off with just a bit of a skid at the bottom when I turned and went too hard on the brake I think.

Really enjoyed myself again :D Will be ready for Kitchener soon at this rate :lol: ........or maybe not just yet :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Excellent result. You'll be doing the DH world champs before you know it.
    Downhills without a runout are tricky, all you can do is roll down and brake hard at the bottom if there's enough space or keep your weight back and drag your brakes all the way down to keep the speed down. A good time to use your back brake expertise.
    Also pick your line down carefully because it's hard to change lines significantly, and remember bikes don't turn well with the brakes on. Slow down before you turn or you'll tend to plough straight on.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Personally I disagree with the leaning on the front brake technique.

If you're heading down a slope, provide that you are travelling in a straight line and the surface is hard-packed and dry, then this technique will work.

However, if the surface is loose, rocky, or otherwise in a poor conditions (which lets face it is most of the time...), if you're heavy on the front brake and it comes up against something immovable or hits a loose patch it's going to stop turning immediately.

If this happens, it doesn't matter how far back your weight is, your forward/downward momentum will pitch you over the bars.

For this reason I hardly touch the front brake on sketchy descents.
  • Personally I disagree with the leaning on the front brake technique.

If you're heading down a slope, provide that you are travelling in a straight line and the surface is hard-packed and dry, then this technique will work.

However, if the surface is loose, rocky, or otherwise in a poor conditions (which lets face it is most of the time...), if you're heavy on the front brake and it comes up against something immovable or hits a loose patch it's going to stop turning immediately.

If this happens, it doesn't matter how far back your weight is, your forward/downward momentum will pitch you over the bars.

For this reason I hardly touch the front brake on sketchy descents.
    Then, you're not using your brakes properly.
  • cooldad
    Try reading my post again. Who said anything about slamming the front brake on?
    But if you come up against something immovable you are going to stop suddenly anyway, unless you are an irresistible force.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    an irresistible force.
    That's like my... oh wait, this isn't the crudcatcher.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cooldad wrote:
    Talking of bubbles, I'm thinking of how to use a mini Zorb - will probably work better than my mind.
    home-zorbjump.jpg
    Or just give up on the bike altogether and join her.
    20090731162236308.jpg
    Oh personal returning from the pub safety bubble!
    ew blue water.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    an unspeakable object.
    That's like my... oh wait, this isn't the crudcatcher.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I have to say I was a believer in the front brakes wll throw you over the bars, but as I got faster, I simply couldnt scrub the speed off enough on fast descents with just the rear brake, I was locking it up or on the edge of, doing the trails and my tyres no good at all. I have introduced progressive and smooth front braking into my riding and the difference is incredible. Can brake much harder, much later, never lock up now and best of all I am yet to go over the handlebars (from braking anyways!)
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • Feather the front to control your speed, weight slightly back, heels down.. Don't grab the brakes, be progressive..

The rest is about MTFU. ;-)

The red trail at sherwood is pretty easy with no hidden surprises... Just give it a go... I bet you will surprise yourself. :-)
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • I will definitely be giving the red route a go. My confidence is building now and am really enjoying it. The main thing that bothers me about the red route is if I do it alone I might get lost lol
  • I will definitely be giving the red route a go. My confidence is building now and am really enjoying it. The main thing that bothers me about the red route is if I do it alone I might get lost lol

nah, it won't happen... it's REALLY easy to follow and clearly marked by white arrows on a red square..

Simples :wink:
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838