Hillsborough

13»

Comments

• your link implies there was mayhem- there wasnt!

pray tell me of your experiences of such mayhem?

I was talking about hooliganism in the 70's and 80's if you read my post. I was talking about why the pens were needed at football stadiums across the entire country.

For you to suggest there was no hooliganism in the UK warranting the penning of football supporters is utterly bizarre. Did you even bother to read the article ? Did you never read a bout the weekly riots at football stadiums week in week out ?

Perhaps you might like to read the entire post and not assume that my comments were specifically about Hillsborough. The clue is in the statement "None of this excuses the actions at Hillsborough one bit but it does explain for younger readers what the 70's and 80's were like "
  • been attending matches since 1970 not missed a season- aint witnessed a single riot yet.

i must be lucky! :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • natrix wrote:
    Harwood didnt 'get away' with the killing- as perverse as the verdict may have been- he was cleared by a jury who heard all the evidence.

Depends what you mean by all the evidence, they weren't informed that he quit the Met on health grounds in 2001 shortly before a planned disciplinary hearing. Incredibly he was then able to join another force, (Surrey) before returning to serve with the Met in 2005.

He allegedly punched, throttled, kneed or threatened other suspects while in uniform in other alleged incidents.

i did say it was on the face of it a perverse verdict

we still have to accept it
  • Re. penning fans - yes I agree there was need for segregation of fans - as there still is. Whether fences round the pitch were really necessary is something else. From memory those fences were pretty much pulled down in most if not all grounds soon after if not straight after Hillsborough - football continued without them and while there may have been some incidents of pitch invasions they weren't common.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • the fences at hillsboro had gates for use in emergencies. on 15/04/89 these were padlocked shut and no-one knew where the keys were. fans attempting to escape the crush were pushed back by police. the ground didnt have a safety cerificate and there had been problems with crushing at previous matches. the attitude of the government and the police at the time was that people attending football matches were all sub human scum with no rights. 96 people died because of this attitude.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Think it's clear that Hillsborough was a shocking example of negligence and subsequent coverups and the Hillsborough families support group should be applauded for their persistence and dignity.

Can't forget though that the actions of Liverpool fans at Heysel seemed to have been airbrushed from history and helped to make the Hillsborough lies more believable at the time.........
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    the fences at hillsboro had gates for use in emergencies. on 15/04/89 these were padlocked shut and no-one knew where the keys were. fans attempting to escape the crush were pushed back by police. the ground didnt have a safety cerificate and there had been problems with crushing at previous matches. the attitude of the government and the police at the time was that people attending football matches were all sub human scum with no rights. 96 people died because of this attitude.

Spot on.
  • I saw the front cover of the SUN this morning and as far as I am concerned they still have not Apologised. 23 Years ago in Big Banner headlines they said The Truth. This time though it made the front cover it was small print at the bottom. It should have been in the same size font some thing like The Truth we got it Wrong. Listening to the reporter who handed the story in he was unhappy with both the headlines and the way his article had been editted. His inital report had said there had been allegations of... rather than cases of... which though proved to be inaccurate in hindsight would at least have matched what he was told not rather than what the Editor in Chief wanted to report.
    The Sun still has a very long way to go before it has made amends for that headline.
  • the attitude of the government and the police at the time was that people attending football matches were all sub human scum with no rights. 96 people died because of this attitude.

No.

The overwhelming evidence from a decade of football rioting (which you claim you never saw or ever appear to have heard of) criminality, damage and destruction resulted in the logical conclusion that football supporters could not be trusted. They had to be penned in because they would riot and cause destruction if they were not. despite your attempts to deny all the facts, this is true.

96 people died on the day due to the actions and inaction of the police.

However if and its a big if, the football supporters of the previous decade had not been the scum to which you refer, then the pens would not have been needed. This does not excuse the actions of SYP.

You seem to be trying to suggest that the pens were not needed and there was no violence at earlier games. That is simply untrue and you know it.
  • how many games did you attend during this era of weekly rioting and murder?
  • The pens/fencing were erected to keep fighting hooligans apart end of. This was so games could continue to be played.

If they were not needed the clubs wouldn't have erected them, they (clubs) were very reluctant to spend money on the grounds, hence Hillsborough not having a safety certificate, Bradford citys ground becoming a death trap as were most grounds in those days.

The hooligan element in football have a lot to answer for including the attitude that police took towards policing ALL FOOTBALL SUPPORTERS.

I suppose in a perverse way, if it weren't for hooligans we could still be watching football in antiquated old grounds.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • so why treat ALL football attendees as scum because of the actions of a minority?

http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1152-sep ... -editorial

didnt the police used to treat black folks like this?
  • You had a choice not to go if you didn't like the way you were treated, I wouldn't pay money to let someone lock me in a cage and looking back it seems absurd. It's an interesting mark of how society has changed thankfully. This thread is inappropriately off topic now however I feel.

Again with the irrelevancies. I couldn't even manage a guess as I lived in Newcastle, Nottingham and Bradford over that period and went to games at all of them, and saw rioting and violence at all locations.

Why do you continue with the deflection of facts - there still is this wonderful box in the corner of the room called a TV and it shows you pictures from places you were not actually present. You can learn a lot from watching it you know, like programmes on how some people are in denial and sem unable to accept the facts. You ight also learn about government commissions into football violence, BBC TV documentary programmes and news programmes.

But no, you seem to believe things only happen if you're there. Muppet.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Well, I'm not closing ranks on anyone...

Good for you Nap, I'm glad to hear to it
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~

Again with the irrelevancies. I couldn't even manage a guess as I lived in Newcastle, Nottingham and Bradford over that period and went to games at all of them, and saw rioting and violence at all locations.

Why do you continue with the deflection of facts - there still is this wonderful box in the corner of the room called a TV and it shows you pictures from places you were not actually present. You can learn a lot from watching it you know, like programmes on how some people are in denial and sem unable to accept the facts. You ight also learn about government commissions into football violence, BBC TV documentary programmes and news programmes.

did the nasty boys scare you, diddums?

i dont believe youve ever been to a football ground in your life.

did the nasty boys scare you, diddums?

i dont believe youve ever been to a football ground in your life.

Clearly Trolling - deflecting the evidence. I've been to plenty and gave it up in the 80's when I came across your sort too often.

I wonder where you're from ........ oooh, what a coincidence.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Seriously you're both acting like pricks - take it somewhere else.
  • Paulie W wrote:

apologies dude, but its a bit of a sensitive subject, ill shut up now.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Paulie W wrote:

apologies dude, but its a bit of a sensitive subject, ill shut up now.

I know - that's kind of my point. The thread which is about an astonishing injustice perpetrated on the 96 Hillsborough dead and their friends and families is being turned into a p!ssing contest about how bad hooligans were in the 70s and 80s.