Which Turbo Trainer?

StorckSpeed
StorckSpeed Posts: 291
edited September 2012 in Training, fitness and health
I've been very lucky for the past few winters in that I worked offshore. This has meant easy access to a REALLY good gym and bike. And with lots of time off, during most of the winter could manage a 1 hour ride in the cold and wet, doing hill repeats or short sprints etc.. For teh odd day when the weather was god awful, then I had a basic Turbo I could use in the Garage too.
I've now moved into the office and am dreading this winter. I've been wondering about winter training. Is the Turbo I have good enough? I'd secretly like one that showed me my power output (The bike in the offshore gym did this - at £4K this is out of my budget however).
Are any of the cheaper Turbo trainers that give power readings that accurate?
Pound for Pound what is the best value winter trainer available?
Are the Virtual Trainers any good or should I save my money for other bling?
There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    7844587832_0d2d75aa1e_z.jpg
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • I have a Lemond Revolution with power pilot. It shows power and you can upload to training Peaks if thats your thing
    no idea how accurate the numbers are. You could subscribe to trainer road which would be cheaper. I have no idea if the accuracy of the numbers is that important to you. I would think the power outputs for the Lemond are more consistent than a trainer using the rear wheel (I don't know for sure).
    The Lemond revolution is a very nice trainer but it is very noisy, easily dealt with by wearing eardefenders.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    The Kurt Kinetic trainers are known for being very solid pieces of kit. I've one which I bought around 6 years ago and it has been very , very good.
    Issues I had were :
    1) The computer which shows power etc was poor and the 1st one failed, was replaced then the 2nd one has now died. Current models of the trainer have a different computer so I don't think my issues are relevant now.
    2) The L-shaped rod that tensions the spring stripped the thread on it or the plastic knob. Kurt sent me 2 new ones FOC - as I recall this was maybe 2 years after I bought it from Planet-X so their sevice was good - came from the States within days. This seemed to be a known issue but again, this has probably changed for current models and I was partly at cause for this as I used to constantly be adjusting the tension when I took the unit to my club then back home and would be changing the tension each time.

IMHO these are very highly recommended turbos.
    Not sure how accurate the power reading is but they appear to be seen as at least consistent which was good enough for me.
    Various models from around £250+
  • I've been wondering about a Turbo Trainer for the winter but have only a small budget and thats if I can talk my missus into letting me get one for Christmas! Do they really help? are the cheaper ones a big waste of money?
    Help!
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I've been wondering about a Turbo Trainer for the winter but have only a small budget and thats if I can talk my missus into letting me get one for Christmas! Do they really help? are the cheaper ones a big waste of money?
    Help!

7858178334_b053504113_z.jpg
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • There really should be a sticky on this.

Kurt Kinetic- either Road Machine or Rock and Roll, or a Cyclops Jet Fluid Pro. If you want power output buy a power meter for your bike. This will be more accurate than any turbo power meter and you can use it on the road. Failing a power meter then using speed on a good fluid trainer like the above is a good substitute- or even use Trainer Road to convert speed to power.