Right ankle pain

snaphappyspen
snaphappyspen Posts: 179
edited September 2012 in Training, fitness and health
I am new to road cycling however been mountain biking for some years now.

I did the Manc to Liverpool cycle a few months back and during this i (thought) i sprained my ankle as i was limping for a week or so afterwards. However the next time i got on the bike i noticed the pain was coming back into my right ankle whereas the other one is fine.

I have been looking at the position my foot is in when i pedal and i "think" the problem may be im not pedalling on the bottom of my foot, instead im tending to push down with the side of my foot.

I am currently using "normal" pedals on my bike but have some SPDS i need to fit on the bike, do you think this will help in the fact my feet will be clipped to the pedal thus stopping the amount of movement my feet have and hopefully keeping my foot in line. Or should i go out and buy an ankle brace.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there has had similar problems and have any helpful advice to give.
Bike - Scott Aspect 45
Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013

Comments

• ncr
    ncr Posts: 98
    I am new to road cycling however been mountain biking for some years now.

I did the Manc to Liverpool cycle a few months back and during this i (thought) i sprained my ankle as i was limping for a week or so afterwards. However the next time i got on the bike i noticed the pain was coming back into my right ankle whereas the other one is fine.

I have been looking at the position my foot is in when i pedal and i "think" the problem may be im not pedalling on the bottom of my foot, instead im tending to push down with the side of my foot.

I am currently using "normal" pedals on my bike but have some SPDS i need to fit on the bike, do you think this will help in the fact my feet will be clipped to the pedal thus stopping the amount of movement my feet have and hopefully keeping my foot in line. Or should i go out and buy an ankle brace.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there has had similar problems and have any helpful advice to give.

Could it be that one leg is longer than the other. You can test this by seeing if you can put both heels of your shoes on the pedal when it is in the 6 o'c position.
  • Hi!

Thanks ill give it a go, however i did go out on a 20 miler yesteday and used some different trainers than the ones i normally ride with, and sure enough the ankle pain wasn't there i think its time i threw the old trainers in the bin!
    Bike - Scott Aspect 45
    Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013