Baby Colnago C59 Alloy training bike

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    tim wand wrote:
    Did you see the guy on here who had the FMO15 that he made up to look like a Madone Project one (Livestrong theme), did a good job of it, but it was just wrong.

Yes - but a Madone is a pretty bland looking frame like the FM015 and both are carbon monocoques - so I'd say that you could fool someone into thinking the fake Madone was the real thing and irrc the Ebay ad was a bit dodgy in that respect.

Painting a metal framed bike to match the paint job of a very distinctive lugged carbon framed bike is a bit different. It's no more convincing a C59 than if he'd painted it any old colour and just stuck a sticker c59 sticker on without anything other graphics. I mean, if he'd painted it in WW2 camouflage would we be accusing him of trying to fake a Spitfire with it?! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ianho
    ianho Posts: 170
    A Spitfire bike would be awesome!
    Pinayellow Dogma 65.1
    Team Sky Dogma 65.1
    S-Works Venge F22 Raptor
    S-Works Roubaix B2 Bomber
    Van Nicholas B17 Flying Fortress
    Lynskey Captain America
    Intense Tracer
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    They are , I thought your love of Titanium would have already found you one

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/s ... -in-31435/
  • tigerben wrote:
    Did you use decals for the logos - or do you spray paint / mask everything?
    Looks great to me.

I used a plotter to create Mac-Tac vinyl masks which were then sprayed through. There are 5 colours of twin-pack paint on the C59 baby; Primer, white, silver, black and clear-coat. Metallic Paint is a tricky to work with - (even Colnago's team will admit that ... until recently they were reluctant to use Metallic 'layers' on production bikes) The difficulty with metallic is this; Once applied, you cannot sand the paint down. If you do you'll damage the fine particles that give it that 'metallic sheen.' If you make a mistake on the metallic layer the entire frame must be cut back to bare metal and you must begin again. Moreover, because you can't "cut back' metallic you only have 24 hours to apply the remaining coats otherwise the lacquer will not adhere. The C59 is difficult because after the silver you have to apply many masks for the black layers, spray on the black , oven-bake and then apply clear-coat all within 24 hours. If an layer goes wrong, its back to metal and off you go again. Its not easy.

It was to master those techniques (and for some C59 fun) that I did C59 bike.

I do use my artistic & creative skills for 'unique' things, but that's my 'work' and not for this forum. Below are some pictures of a 1976 Colnago Super which I restored last year. It was in a very sorry state before the restoration. Now its back on the road ...

5a465fd1.jpg
    b66cd123.jpg
    d1e619c6.jpg
    deac7dfa.jpg
  • jezzasnr
    jezzasnr Posts: 225
    Would love to see some pictures of that built if you've got them.
    ....like it's golden
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Man you got da skillz!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • tim_wand
    I apologise profusely, I now understand your thinking on the C59. And my God what a skill you have that Colnago super is just beautiful.

Please put some pictures up of a full build. If my six numbers ever came up I would be building a C59 With EPS and then a more traditional Master with Record and Deltas.

In the meantime if I m ever lucky enough to stumble across an old Columbus SLX tubed Colnago at my local jumble, do you do commissions?

ONCE AGAIN HUMBLY EATING MY HAT,
  • napoleond
    I have an Eddy Merckx Corsa Team in Tutti Frutti colours (ColumbusTSX) tubing. The paint is pretty knocked up.

I may start mithering for a respray...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    Fantastic job on both bikes. Thanks for posting the pics.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Nice paint job but you ruined with the C59 stuff, it's like the tits that put M\\ sport badges on low end Beemers. The only thing cool about a C59 is that it's a C59, putting a C59 sticker on something that isn't a C59 is like wtf?
  • bails1310
    bails1310 Posts: 361
    nferrar wrote:
    Nice paint job but you ruined with the C59 stuff, it's like the tits that put M\\ sport badges on low end Beemers. The only thing cool about a C59 is that it's a C59, putting a C59 sticker on something that isn't a C59 is like wtf?

....or when main dealers sell a 520 diesel with M-sport trim?? Not sure what the hoo-haa is about, the bike looks top and no-one can argue with how much talent this guy has. I'd be first in the queue for a spray job, whether a C59 or Grifter.
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Hi Badbrush, I never wished to diss you, it was fairly obvious you had talent and reading about the C59 shows it (Still would have preferred to see a custom job :-) )

Have you ever thought about doing some real special custom work as it is obvious there is a market for quality specials?
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Badbrush wrote:
    deac7dfa.jpg

Take a bow Badbrush, that is a fine fine piece of work.
  • tim_wand
    Gotta admit my initial reaction was Why, Now its WOW.

This man has got talent, I ve tried myself to home spray frames, and the level of detail thats gone into both those frames is Awesome.

I may not agree with the concept of the C59 on the surface , but I now understand that Badbrush was not just looking to replicate the finish but see if he was capable of the complex process involved in achieving that finish, then I have nothing but respect for the end result.

As for the Colnago Super, thats just sheer class and skill.
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Damn, now I want an orange Colnago. A real one. :wink:

Nice work.
  • Your spraying jobs are superb and look fantastic. I love the orange colnago, it's splendid.

Personally I would not spray a bike to look like another when it is not -- it just dosen't sit right -- but that's me, everyone enjoys different stuff and it's what makes this world a better place! (My single speed is purple with orange cables and yellow handle bar tape. Most people hate it. I love it.)

Keep posting, they're both superbly restored and inspiring (I wish I had the means to do some custom spraying, and the skill to do it that well!)
  • just had another look at the orange colnago

WOW!!
  • My single speed is purple with orange cables and yellow handle bar tape.
    A deep Purple base-coat with gold over detailing and cinelli gold bar tape is on my list of to-do's. In the meantime, heres a Rondinella frame re-finished in spring. The late Vic Edwards (the builder) was a master frame builder and is perhaps known for his work as master builder at Hetchins. When I removed the old enamel from this touring frame it was so beautifully made I almost cried.

376db59b.jpg
    3ffc635a.jpg

And if your still hungry for more, heres some pics of my 'Pea and Ham soup' coloured Colnago Super ... with some nice Campagnolo hardware for Napoleon to drool over.

7cb2d179.jpg
    a39be9b3.jpg
    4fca3b41.jpg
    5401e6dc.jpg
    efba0411.jpg
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Badbrush, I think I love and hate you at the same time

Just awesome.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Again, stunning. My favourite has to be the orange colnago

Well, I say purple. It's actually quite an interesting paint job. to me as a layman of bike paint, it appears to be a purple undercoat with a light blue lattice over the top. Produces a very interesting effect. Heres a photo, apologies if this is off the topic of your bikes!

6846690757_430cfa0e50.jpg
    DSC01798 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/70194040@N08/[/img]
  • Christ, all of these look fantastic
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Badbrush - you are unbelievable talented. You should become a pro bike painter! (if you aren't already!)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • tim_wand
    Awesome stuff. Who's products do you use?

I ve recently been thinking about investing in some House of Kolor paints and I ve seen some fantastic finishes with them.

Do you mind giving a few secrets away. Set up, Compressor and Gun? Psi nozzle diameters, Primer,Paints and clear clear coats?

If your not making a living from doing this already, you really should be.
  • napoleond
    This stuff looks world class.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    NapoleonD wrote:
    This stuff looks world class.

Yep, what ^ he said 8) 8) 8)
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Blimey - can't really add much to what has gone before. Stunning.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Badbrush wrote:

5a465fd1.jpg
    b66cd123.jpg
    d1e619c6.jpg
    deac7dfa.jpg

:shock:

Would you be willing to have a go on my Enigma! Seriously, that is beautifiul, jaw droppingly beautiful!

EDIT: After spending more time looking at those pics, I've concluded that it's the nicest looking frame I have ever seen. Well don Sir, I doth my cap.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • 7cb2d179.jpg

I've just done a sex wee...

Gorgeous.