Weird tyre cracks

clickshots
clickshots Posts: 91
edited August 2012 in Workshop
Noticed that the tyres had strange cracks running round the edge of them so decided to swap them for new tyres.
I had some spare tyres (same make/model) in my garage, but when I got these new tyres out and put them on the wheels, I noticed they had the same cracks. The bike isn't kept in the garage and the spare tyres are totally unused.

Here's a picture of what I mean.
tyre.jpg

Seems to be at the edge of the tread ends where it meets the very thin layer of rubber running along the side wall.

Comments

• fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Had them stored a long time by any chance, looks like the rubber has dried out. Wouldn't leave them on to long looks like won't be long before the tread decides to go its own way.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, look like some Continentals (GP4000s?) mounted onto RS80s, not that it matters ( :wink: ). The cracks are obviously at the join between the sidewall and the main tread and it definitely looks like a case of ageing. I wouldn't be too happy running them for too long but maybe that is just me being me (risk adverse).
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If you ride them just keep an eye on them. When they start to bulge stop riding them. Cracked rubber does not mean the carcass is failing but the tyre carcass is not getting any younger either. So just check them before you ride.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • They've only been in my garage for approximately 3 months :( Same age as the ones on my bike.
    Well that was a waste of money on them tyres! :-P

Richard

Ps. Yep you're right, RS80's. How on Earth did you get that, isn't the same rim used in some of their other wheels?
  • I know a few riders who deflate their tyres after a ride (on bikes not used frequently) - I wonder if this might reduce or at least delay the onset of this type of problem ?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I think you have been unlikely with those 400s. they are a good tyre you must have the dodegy ones.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.