Is it worth getting a special turbo tire?

phreak
phreak Posts: 2,910
I'm moving house in a week and my training area won't be as remote as it currently is, so any noise will be a bit more noticeable.

I've got a mat and everything to try and reduce any vibrations, but the noise from the fly wheel itself is still noticeable. I went on the turbo they had setup at Belgian House during the Olympics and that didn't make any noise at all. It had a turbo tire so I'm wondering if that would be a good investment (along with a cheap wheel to put it on).

Any feedback would be very welcome.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,799
    The main reason I bought one was to reduce the tyre wear on my expensive tyres.

Noticed a lot of rubber flying off - they get quite hot.
  • Yes
  • phreak
    Yes

In terms of noise or tire wear? I'm generally ok with the wear as it's only my commuter bike but anything that reduces the washing machine like noise would no doubt make my house mates happier :)
  • Just use an old tyre.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Just use an old tyre.

+1
  • phreak
    My commuter generally gets the cast offs from my best bike anyway. Still pretty loud though.
  • Yes -- the Conti (orange/yellow color) is the best of the lot. Will eliminate flats on the trainer and last almost indefinitely (4,000+ miles and no visible wear).
    Best,
    Bill Black
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Old tyres, 5 minutes to swap of road tyre. Done
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Bill Black wrote:
    Yes -- the Conti (orange/yellow color) is the best of the lot. Will eliminate flats on the trainer and last almost indefinitely (4,000+ miles and no visible wear).
    Best,
    Bill Black

You get flats on a trainer? :shock:

Also OP .. how loud is your trainer?! Youtube video ftw.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Turbo tyre`s are quieter than all others.
    Also buy one and they last. I`ve had mine on for six months and it`s showing no signs of wear.
    Normal tyres wear out quickly and leave rubber all over the place.
    Only gripe I have is having to change it over.Speed lever makes it a very quick job!
  • phreak
    YouTube is too much faff. As a guide though, I usually have a video or something on, with the volume up to the max.

If I'm riding recovery style gentle spinning it's fine, hardly makes any noise.

If I'm riding tempo then it's a good job the video is up to the max.

If I'm going balls out then you can't hear the video.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Just use an old tyre.

Great until you have something like a Tacx Fortius and the rubber clogs up the roller... I found this the hard way after I bought one second hand. Took me ages to get all the gunk out of the housing.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    phreak wrote:
    YouTube is too much faff. As a guide though, I usually have a video or something on, with the volume up to the max.

I meant upload a Youtube video so we can hear how loud your trainer is. My jockey wheels are the loudest bit of riding my trainer. :?
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • phreak
    Yes I know, I was trying to convey the noise by saying that it drowns out the sound of the video I play on my laptop with the volume turned up fully :)
  • I ride indoors about 300 hours per year and regular road tires wear out quickly, get very hot and -yes, numerous flats vs. using trainer-specific tire.
    Best,
    Bill Black
    dw300 wrote:
    Bill Black wrote:
    Yes -- the Conti (orange/yellow color) is the best of the lot. Will eliminate flats on the trainer and last almost indefinitely (4,000+ miles and no visible wear).
    Best,
    Bill Black

You get flats on a trainer? :shock:

Also OP .. how loud is your trainer?! Youtube video ftw.
  • phreak
    My tires have always held up ok with regards to wear. Have you found a dedicated trainer tire quieter than a regular road tire Bill? It's the noise I'm primarily concerned about and am looking to reduce it as much as possible :)
  • Yes, trainer-specific is quieter primarily because you can use less press-on force and the tire doesn't slip. I have found the Contiental tire to be the best one (avoid the Tacx version).
    Best,
    Bill Black
  • Stopped using the Tacx one and changed to an old Schwalbe Ultremo which was quieter.
  • Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    I strongly recommend purchasing the Continental trainer tyre which as others have stated lasts a very long time - many years and thousands of Turbo miles in my case although wear is clearly visible it still has some life in it. Along with the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine it is one of the very best pieces of cycling equipment I have ever purchased.

Noise was never a concern to me but out of interest what Turbo are you using?
    Old tyres, 5 minutes to swap of road tyre. Done
    This is also an option for the occasional user, it really teaches you patience in working with bikes and greatly speeds up the process of changing a tyre.

Murr X