Womens XC MTB olympics

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Where people quoted the dictionary for the term sport for you, and it didn't say competition....
    Oh not this sh*t again.
    Most people don't ride their mountain bikes for sport, they do it to mess about in the woods, for fun.
    Whether it's technically a "sport" or not is irrelevant. And if we ARE doing this nonsense again, I'm pretty sure that the dictionary definition of "Sport" mentioned competing.
    This. I have no interest in how far or fast, my heart rate, whether I'm king of the mountain or queen of the fairies.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Where people quoted the dictionary for the term sport for you, and it didn't say competition....
    Oh not this sh*t again.
    Most people don't ride their mountain bikes
    This.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Where people quoted the dictionary for the term sport for you, and it didn't say competition....
    Oh not this sh*t again.
    This.
    Oh yeah. I forgot this was the crudcatcher.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Oh not this sh*t again.
    This.
    Oh yeah. I forgot this was the crudcatcher.

I ride mine on roads, the best way, you can then be a mountain biker but not get hurt by a mountain
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    the olympic course will be kept for the future already I think theres a junior championship pencilled in for October..

The BMX course is temprary adn will shortly be dismantled, which is a shame as that would get so much use in East London.

Back to the Mtb course - it was designed to be a xc race course nothing more - it far exceeded expectation, and is far from easy to ride - the riders loved it said it as an incredibly tough course, the best olympic course to date.

yep its easy to to sit in your sofa and say nah thats easy, but when youre at the top of a 30ft near vertical drop littered with boulders at max heart rate, on a bike weighing 18lb and a foot long seatpost with 3 people trying to overtake you it gets a bit harder...
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    It also blew apart some of the 29er myth(/bullsh*t) too. The race was won, I believe, on a 26" machine, and there were lots of short women riding big wheeled bikes.
    Which basically knocks the for and against arguments for 29ers for six.
    And the mens race was won on a full sus 29er, a Specailized no less. So that knocks your argument for six.

Maybe 26er suit women as they are weaker and 29ers suit men as they have the strength for them. Anyway, the best person won on the bike that suited them the best.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    the olympic course will be kept for the future already I think theres a junior championship pencilled in for October..

Don't think there is, if nothing else there is no 'junior championship', the junior national champion was crowned with all other national champs at Wasing Estate last month.
    Maybe 26er suit women as they are weaker and 29ers suit men as they have the strength for them. Anyway, the best person won on the bike that suited them the best.

2nd place Nino Schurter in the mens was on a 650B hardtail, with Fontana in 3rd on a 26" hardtail. So basically... it's the rider not the bike.
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    Im waiting for them to post details up but someone over at singletrack seems to know all about an event there in October....?! Im two miles down the road and know nothing about it.

the bike thing comes down to preference and nothing more... Im 5ft 7 Riding a 29'' to me feels like riding a road bike, and looks frickin stupid with a small frame and big wheels! Some people swear by 29'' inch bikes and tell me how much faster they are - When Im racing I overtake a lot of fast 29'' bikes, despite being on a 1996 kona...

If you like it ride it, if you dont get something else.!
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Fontana in 3rd on a 26" hardtail - with no saddle.... funny how the commentators missed his saddle falling off on the last 3rd of the course, doubt it would have affected the result much though as he had blown by then by the looks of it.

Good course, watched it with some mates & had a bbq, I would agree the majority of it was pretty dull though aside form the last 20 mins, shame Killeen did his ankle, poor guy must be gutted.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    oodboo wrote:
    It also blew apart some of the 29er myth(/bullsh*t) too. The race was won, I believe, on a 26" machine, and there were lots of short women riding big wheeled bikes.
    And the mens race was won on a full sus 29er, a Specailized no less. So that knocks your argument for six.
    How does that invalidate my claim that these stereotypes are nonsense?
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    oodboo wrote:
    How does that invalidate my claim that these stereotypes are nonsense?
    I miss read your post, you are fogiven.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    watching it and i still think this track is embarrassing to the sport :(

Its a different sport though, like saying that btcc is an embarrassment to wrc because the track is too flat and tarmacced.
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp