Olympic event removal

1235»

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Simple question, what Olympic event would you remove from the games so we can have more cycling? Which event doesn't deserve to be there. Is it something like football or tennis as the World Cup and Wimbledon are bigger more important in those sports. Or should it be something like gymnastics or synco' swimming, as they aren't really sports! :wink:

Hmm - remove football because world cup is bigger and tennis ditto re Wimbledon- on that basis cycling goes as the TDF is bigger than any olympic cycling event

Remove events that are not really sports - eg those where you sit on your backside - eg cycling/ rowing etc

Looks like we are left with tiddlywinks
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    Hmm - remove football because world cup is bigger and tennis ditto re Wimbledon- on that basis cycling goes as the TDF is bigger than any olympic cycling event

TdF isn't the biggest event in women's cycling.
    spen666 wrote:
    Remove events that are not really sports - eg those where you sit on your backside - eg cycling/ rowing etc

Tell that to Marco Fontana!

716565d1344806234-medal-picks-xc-fontana_saddle_2012_olympics_2.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,819
    *like*
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    The IOC should just let the UCI run their own sport and keep their noses out. The velodrome is a single use venue so it should not matter how many events UCI choose to host.

I would not mind seeing the back of:

All the horsey events
    Artistic gymnastics
    BMX
    Synchronised swimming
    Trampoline

I'd like to see the following:

Kilo and individual pursuit back on the track.
    Squash
    Downhill MTB
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • airbag wrote:
    In F1 the cars should be the stars, not the idiots sat inside them.....

Which is why F1 is not an Olympic event.

I was going to also say the Bobsleigh, Luge, Skeleton.... Boat etc etc, but those are largely powered by gravity or wind instead and not actually powered themselves.
  • Daz555 wrote:
    I would not mind seeing the back of:
    Artistic gymnastics
    Synchronised swimming
    Trampoline

I can't comment on the trampoline seeing as I didn't see it, but I as for the others, well, watch the artistic things in slow motion and see just how much they actually do, and as for the Sync Swimming, well, again, actually watch it and see what they do.

Now, I don't dig things like Taikwondo, wrestling, etc etc, but I at least appreciate what they do and understand that there must be a reason why they are in the games in the first place.
    Regarding the venues, as said by others, it seems to me that there could be a lot MORE events going on, not less.
    I'd like to see the following:
    Squash

I agree and don't they have it at the Commonwealths?

I just want them to bring the Madison back though, yeah!