crud catchers

2»

Comments

• MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    Stu Coops wrote:
    for MTB don't understand why people use them as others have mentioned if you don't like getting dirty get a road bike.

if it was just a case of my body getting dirty i wouldn't bother with them, just jump in a shower after... but no-one wants to see me cycle round naked :shock:

it's not just about getting dirty, it's the difference between getting dirty and getting absolutely coated in crap. it's also about protecting gear and increasing it's lifespan. if i didn't have the £5 rear guard my £80 Camalbak would get three or four times (at least) as dirty and require more cleaning which in the end would wear it out quicker, same with my clothes. also getting stuff in your eyes can be down right dangerous, and glasses just don't keep it all out or can get covered themselves, any thing that reduces that is a good thing.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I had the front and rear crud catcher - the rear definitely did its job but interfered with dropping the saddle and such and made the bike look ridiculous, the front was next to useless in my opinion.

I realised that getting muddy was inevitable if the conditions were in that direction so I gave up. I sold them for 2 quid less than I bought them for on ebay. :D
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Just come back from 24-12, bogging muddy as bad as i've seen it, as it happens I did a bit of a 'real life' test - 1 lap without a downtube mounted crudcatcher & one with.

I can confirm that the lap WITH the crudcatcher on was decidedly more pleasant than the one without, less sh1t up the front of me, in my eyes mouth ears etc and I could actually see where I was going for the majority of the time.

We also watched riders as they passed on the grass descent into the arena and it was telling.... you could see the riders with crudcatchers from a long way off - they had a 'clean' stripe up their fronts.

I didn't bother with a rear mudguard, wasn't worried about getting covered in sh1t - that was always gonna be inevitable in those conditions - the crudcatcher was a gamechanger though in terms of comfort and confidence, being able to see the terrain, especially on the dark laps.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    edited July 2012
    pilch wrote:
    I can confirm that the lap WITH the crudcatcher on was decidedly more pleasant than the one without, less sh1t up the front of me, in my eyes mouth ears etc and I could actually see where I was going for the majority of the time.
    See, same thing happens when I stick on the neoguard, or take it off. The difference is immediate.
    I never saw any difference with the downtube mounted crudcatcher though.
    As the prostitute said to her apprentice, different strokes for different folks eh?
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    See, same thing happens when I stick on the neoguard, or take it off. The difference is immediate.

Yeah I have one too, they are great - in this particular instance however I didn't want to restrict the clearance or put anything on the fork brace that was going to give the mixture of gloopy mud, grass & general detritus something else to stick to and therefore jam my front wheel up.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    I was at 24/12 also - neogard came off after the first lap as it just helped clog up the system - especially in the woods before the final descent. tube mounted crudcatcher seemed to help - but as mine stayed on I dont have a comparison like you.

Arse and camelback (when i wore it) just got soaked and covered in carp.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    sandy771 wrote:
    ars* and camelback (when i wore it) just got soaked and covered in carp.
    Hang on. Something smells fishy about that

:lol:
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    Oops - deliberate typo accidentally introduced here to get around the naughty-word-auto-donk feature of another forum.
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    I have both, front one stays on and is permenantly caked and the rear goes on when the weather is carpy.

I don't mind a wet bum when on an offroad mission, but it upsets me when I'm on the road.
    Papa? Nicole
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would think roadies like a bit of a wet bum.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I've got a rear one fitted to my bike - made a massive difference when cycling to work the other day and kept the mud off my back when I went out today.

The front one is giving me issues though - the elastic seems to be too short to go around the downtube, and it looks like it'll foul the cable something chronic - any advice?
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    I've got a rear one fitted to my bike - made a massive difference when cycling to work the other day and kept the mud off my back when I went out today.

The front one is giving me issues though - the elastic seems to be too short to go around the downtube, and it looks like it'll foul the cable something chronic - any advice?

Hard to give advice on the routing without piccies... regarding attaching it - zip ties? I have an old mk1 crud catcher and that holds on very nicely with them...

Assuming your wires run down the bottom of the tube you could try running full length outers past the crud catcher - or even just a few inches through the zip tie where it would snag.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    In my experience Crud Catchers do work, so I use one. My Spesh has cables running down the tube but it has full outer sleeves so it does not cause a problem.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • quattrojames
    quattrojames Posts: 157
    Mudguards are always a contentious issue!

When it's wet out I put a Cycraguard on the front of my Cannondale Trail 29 and it fits great and does help to keep me clean. It has a pair of spacers to keep the guard away from the frame to allow the cables to move freely.

http://www.cycraguard.co.uk/front
    2011 Cannondale Trail SL 29er HERE