crud catchers

ant100
ant100 Posts: 9
edited July 2012 in MTB beginners
I've got myself a Cannondale SL3 and I really could do with crud catchers or something of that ilk the trouble is the front one clips around the frame by the looks of it right where my two gear cable inners run down the tube has anyone got any ideas Ta! OLDIE

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So what is the problem?
    Fit it and see.

Normally there is no issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    it should of come with some spacers to hold it off the cables. Or run the cables over it.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    The downtube mounted ones don't do anything useful anyway, don't bother.
  • Penylope
    Penylope Posts: 320
    Unless your old fashioned (or lazy like me) and have a water bottle in a cage on your downtube, keeps the shiite off the bottle top (although I agree that's about all it does keep the shiite off!).
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Even then, a lot of what gets on your water bottle will come off the rear wheel, not the front.
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    omegas wrote:
    it should have come with some spacers to hold it off the cables. Or run the cables over it.

i didn't get spacers with mine and had the same problem. i used it for a while but didn't find a huge improvement anyway so took it off again.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    a fender bender 2.1 would be a better option in my opinion, at least it keeps the muck out of your face
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368

Mate went out last night without his tube mounted crud catcher and commented that the front of his shirt (and his face) looked as bad as his back. He did have a neoguard on his forks. Been out with him plenty of times before with the crudcatcher fitted and never seen him covered like that.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Well, your conclusion flies in the face of a hell of a lot of years of riding, then.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    ant100 wrote:
    I've got myself a Cannondale SL3 and I really could do with crud catchers or something of that ilk the trouble is the front one clips around the frame by the looks of it right where my two gear cable inners run down the tube
    My Rize is the same. Thread the Crud Catcher o-rings between the cables and the frame and it fits great
  • sandy771
    Well, your conclusion flies in the face of a hell of a lot of years of riding, then.

Err not really a conclusion, just an observation. Him with no crud catcher - crap all over front of jersey and face. Those with crud catch - none (well very little) of above.

4 of us went out yesterday and only one of us covered in shite on the front, only one of us without a tube mounted crudcatcher.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Thing is, is you have mud on your back but none on your front it still means you need to wash. The washing machine does not care if said mud in on the front or the back.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    sandy771 wrote:

Err not really a conclusion, just an observation.
    So you're not drawing a conclusion?
    Whatver.
    Your observation flies in the face of a great many years of riding then
  • chez_m356
    sandy771 wrote:
    4 of us went out yesterday and only one of us covered in shite on the front, only one of us without a tube mounted crudcatcher.
    if only i'd have put my crudcatcher on sven_nys_modder1.jpg:wink:
  • sandy771
    sandy771 wrote:

Err not really a conclusion, just an observation.
    So you're not drawing a conclusion?
    Whatver.
    Your observation flies in the face of a great many years of riding then

Your riding - not necessarily any one elses.

Another observation - a great many people with a great many years of riding use crudcatchers on their down tubes.
  • chez_m356
    sandy771 wrote:
    Another observation - a great many people with a great many years of riding use crudcatchers on their down tubes.
    and they still get covered in crap if its bad enough
  • YeehaaMcgee
    sandy771 wrote:
    Your riding - not necessarily any one elses.
    :roll:
    I hope you realise the irony.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    In my experience crud catchers don't work.

And in my experience if you don't like mud, get a road bike.
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    All mudguards look stupid on mountain bikes so should be avoided where possible.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I tried a cradcatcher, it was useless. I find neoguards much better.
  • p44cmb
    p44cmb Posts: 124
    After arriving at work with a soaked @rse for the 5th day running i'm afraid to say that I have just gone and bought a rear mudguard for the rides to work. Cheap little £5 "Bell" one from Asda. Obviously it will only get used for the commutes.
  • nicklouse
    i have a crud catcher on one bike and it does what is should. without it i get a faceful of the front wheel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    nicklouse wrote:
    i have a crud catcher on one bike and it does what is should. without it i get a faceful off the front wheel.

You're doing it wrong. :lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:
    i have a crud catcher on one bike and it does what is should. without it i get a faceful off the front wheel.

You're doing it wrong. :lol:
    nope the frame is a twin tube design.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    p44cmb wrote:
    After arriving at work with a soaked @rse for the 5th day running i'm afraid to say that I have just gone and bought a rear mudguard for the rides to work. Cheap little £5 "Bell" one from Asda. Obviously it will only get used for the commutes.
    Same here.
    Generally I get to work, then sit down and check emails etc whilst I cool down, then go get changed in the toilet/shower.
    But I was getting annoyed with arriving with a soaking backside, and being unable to sit down, then having a filthy rucksack that couldn't really be put anywhere.
    Rear Crudcatcher thing has turned out to work quite nicely.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    I can see the benefit of using any type of mudguard for commuting as arriving at work soaked and dirty ain't the best but as for MTB don't understand why people use them as others have mentioned if you don't like getting dirty get a road bike.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Stu Coops wrote:
    as for MTB don't understand why people use them

Mudguards have there place , spend a day doing a proper ride in the mountains in the middle of winter with a wet arse and back and you wont be out riding the following week. :lol:

If you venture as far as a trail center or riding round the park with the kids for a few hours they are not needed.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I dunno, I wouldn't agree with that per se.
    If you're venturing off-road on ungroomed trails, and it's wet, you're going to get covered in filth and soaking wet, no matter what you do :lol:
  • nicklouse
    Stu Coops wrote:
    but as for MTB don't understand why people use .
    it is nice to be able to see where you are going.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I've got the bender fender on the front, and the butt fender on the back, I find this serves me quite well. It keeps the worst of it out of my face, and stops the small of my back and my arrse getting soaked through with horrible gritty, sandy muck.

I don't understand how people can come along and try and tell me what I do and do not need to fit to my bike.

If you want one, go for it. If it improves your enjoyment of your hobby, fantastic, buy 2!