What 29'er for 165cm lady rider - last bike purchase

doreencook
doreencook Posts: 4
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
This will be my last mtb purchase - a rapidly deteriorating spine the major culprit. Currently riding a 2007 Womens Specific Specialized Stumpjumper Expert (med) with Fox Talas forks 110 -140mm and brain on the back shock. This bike is getting to be too heavy and am now looking at a 29er to help roll over those rocks and obstacles with a bit less rip and tear on the back.

Any ideas out there for:

- Lady rider - 165cm (but shrinking) of 54 yrs young.
- Have had spinal surgery 10 yrs ago and the back seems to be winning these days and no longer able to enter endurance rides - anything over 2.5hrs is a no go.
- Looking for a lighter bike - carbon frame dually
- Need that 140mm travel on the front for around the traps riding to keep the bod upright on the long flat training rides but be able to reduce travel when on flowing singletrack or up those long hills
- 29er for smoother roll over on rocks and small obstacles - I will not be doing any technical riding - just discovery rides out in the bush and fire trails and cow pads (Aussie bush and farmland)

No womens specific 29ers out there with dual suspension and 140mm travel on the front so having to look at small mens bikes. Finding something with a top tube length of less than 560mm and standover of less than 720mm is proving a mighty task - hence this post!

The only bike close to this geometry is the Yeti SB-95 in small mens.

Is there anyone else out there on the same fact finding mission trying to find a 29er with longer travel (140mm), as light as possible, that would suit your average size lady rider who is out there for a great ride in the bush???

Let me know if you have come up with some other bikes that might fit us to a T. This is likely my last mtb purchase - and really want to get this one right - mainly to keep me riding for a way lot longer!

Louise

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Very few 29er come with 140mm of travel - the theory is that the larger wheels negate the need for so much travel.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    supersonic wrote:
    Very few 29er come with 140mm of travel - the theory is that the larger wheels negate the need for so much travel.
    Very much this.

Have a look at Beyonce below.
    120mm travel front and 110mm rear, if you want the 140mm still then an intense or a rocky mountain, i think the santacruz tallboy LTC may be a little to big, but you might be able to get a lady specific one from the other side of the pond?

Good luck.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty