Week off - now a bad knee?

okgo
okgo Posts: 4,368
I've recently had a week off the bike totally, I usually do 200-250 miles a week, and I've not had knee issues for a long time. However I went out for a ride yesterday that has a couple of steep hills, and it seems my inner knee now hurts...

Given that nothing has really changed (apart from adding q rings) is this just my legs not used to the stresses of the riding I was doing before? Or would it be the fact that my legs were all tight and I had a tight ITB which will loosen up with more riding? Just a bit concerned as I need to get back into the swing before the races start again :(
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

Comments

• Maglia
    Maglia Posts: 24
    How long was the ride Okgo? If you've only made one change then I'd be tempted to say it's down to the Q rings, you haven't banged your knee or done anything else out of the ordinary exercise-wise? (Running, football, frizbee etc)

All of the knee problems I've had have been compound issues with a load of minor causes, much as I wouldn't take medical advice from 'man on the internet' use ice and Ibuprofen (on a full stomach) until the tenderness goes away.
    Then I'd swap the chainrings back & do a couple of easy flat rides to test it out. Try not to get too frustrated, doing too much too soon will see you right back at square one.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    It was just over 40 miles with 3 hills, one of which is a bit of a grinder, but the other two nothing that difficult.

Hmm, it does seem from googling that people have had issues with q-rings to begin with (they have a periodisation (is that a word?) program on their website to get you used to them) so perhaps it is that. I've been commuting on normal rings the last two days and this morning it didn't hurt, but I can feel when I move it certain directions that there is a little bit of irritation there.

So I think I will ride again on the q rings tomorrow or Thurs and see what happens. Also worth nothing that have swapped pedals around on my two bikes, but that's never been an issue before...
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • beancounter
    beancounter Posts: 369
    okgo wrote:
    Or would it be the fact that my legs were all tight and I had a tight ITB which will loosen up with more riding?

AFAIK a tight ITB will not loosen up with riding (nor rest). You will need to stretch it (difficult) or resort to the usual foam roller remedy.

A tight ITB will certainly lead to knee pain.

bc
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team