Very tight achilles

dodgerdog
dodgerdog Posts: 292
Every morning I wake up with very tight and sore achilles, they take a minute or so of foot rotations to warm up before I can get up without hobbling on them.

Any suggestions as to what exercises could alleviate this issue?
Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
Ribble Gran Fondo

Comments

• 1@ATIME
    1@ATIME Posts: 89
    Be interested to hear on this one I've been doing calf raises off of a step and balancing on a wobble board but still have problem when I push it running
    Ribble Stealth
    previous: Kiron Scandium, 80's Raleigh Equipe, Striker :)
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    My right Achilles is shot at the moment after a 110 mile ride at a time when I hadn't been doing much in the way of long rides. I've been told that there's not much I can do for it except neck a load of Ibuprofen and rest it. It isn't helping much but I'm still cycling to work on it which probably doesn't count as rest.

I found that minor twinges were an indicator that my saddle was too high. Maybe worth dropping it a bit?

Rob
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,577
    if you google you'll find plenty of info, for instance...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/53849 ... stretches/

fwiw i have had problems with really tight hamstrings for years, and calves to a lesser extent, tried stretching etc. but always gave up after a couple of weeks as it seemed to make no difference

after another strain injury, i gritted my teeth and stuck to doing a series of streches every morning, after about 6-7 weeks i'm starting to feel a difference

so i'd say give stretches a go, but be prepared for it to take a while before you feel the benefit
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I use a night splint which keeps the achilles stretched whilst sleeping. Works a treat.
  • 1@ATIME
    1@ATIME Posts: 89
    Can I ask where you got it Airborne or is it something you've put together?
    Ribble Stealth
    previous: Kiron Scandium, 80's Raleigh Equipe, Striker :)
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Plantar faccisitis (sp?) . See a physio. get it taped. Do the exercises. Don't aggravate it by stupid things like wrong/no shoes etc.
    Hope its better soon