Cannondale sizing

stevej62
stevej62 Posts: 14
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
I am looking at a Cannondale CAAD8 size 56 and not sure if it will be big enough as I cant travel to the shop to try it. I am 6ft with a 33 inside leg, there seems to be differing feedback on other sites. Also looking at the Boardman team large which is 55cm but I guess its different geometry, new to road bikes so dont have anything to go on.

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    The come up big especailly on the reach. At 6ft a 56cm would be the right size i would say.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Agreed - dales size big and you often end up with a smaller frame size than many other makes.

I would say 56cm is there abouts for someone 6ft.

I have a 54cm and I and 5ft 10.

The 56 leaves me virtually no stand over room and the reach to the bars is too long.

BUT - you really need to sit on one before buying!!!!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    smidsy wrote:
    Agreed - dales size big and you often end up with a smaller frame size than many other makes.

I would say 56cm is there abouts for someone 6ft.

I have a 54cm and I and 5ft 10.

The 56 leaves me virtually no stand over room and the reach to the bars is too long.

BUT - you really need to sit on one before buying!!!!

Same here - 5' 10" and a 54cm. Definitely worth swinging a leg over first!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • harrywolper
    harrywolper Posts: 95
    I am 5'11" (just) and I have a CAAD 5, 8 & 9 all 56cm and all fit me perfectly. A slightly smaller frame is better than a slightly larger one I think as it is easier to have a longer stem than a shorter one (sort of). I think a 56cm should be OK for 6ft but ideally try to ride one before. Or if you live near St Albans you can try one of mine - well for only £50 ;-)
  • bikingjohn
    bikingjohn Posts: 202
    i'm 178cm and riding caad10 56. at first the reach seems a bit too far, need a bit of time to get used to it.
    now the stem spacer stack is 2cm. very tempting to cut the used height just for a better look...

stand-over is good, having 1-inch spacing. but you really need to try before you buy.
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,502
    I'm 6 foot, 33 inch inside leg and ride a caad 10 56. According to my bike shop, I was close between a 54 and a 56 mostly on the reach.

I decided to go with the 56 on the basis that I could put a shorter stem on if I felt it would help. I did recently swap the stem for a shorter (90mm) one and it feels better for me.

-edit- also good deals on caad 10 at pauls cycles if you want a 56.
  • stevej62
    Thanks for all the advice, just need to decide now between the Boardman Team and the CAAD 8 ???
  • singleton
    You really need to sit on, and ideally ride a few bikes.

Riding a road bike involves staying in a very similar body position for long(ish) periods of time. This position needs to be one that allows you to be comfortable and pain free but also one that allows you to get your power into the pedals.

Size, fit and geometry are very important.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I am 6ft with 32.5" inside leg, somehow I tend to have the saddle higher than most?.,,,,my 56 cadd10 is spot on , standard stem with plenty of adjustment....sit on one or ride to be sure, but 56 is your starting point.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    Another 5'10" on a 54 Cannondale. I run a 120mm stem and it's perfect. I'd say you'll be 56 almost certainly.
  • stevej62
    Thanks for all the advice, will give one a try this weekend before parting with the cash.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I'm 5' 10" and bought a 56cm SuperSix last Spring. I had to sell because it was much too long. Wish I'd gone for a 54 because I'd probably still have it. Amazing bike.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    I am 6ft with a 32 inch inside leg and ride a 58cm System Six and have had a 58cm Six 13 too, both with 120mm stems and not much in the way of spacers underneath.

You really need to test one before you buy as everyone is different, so whilst everyone can have an opinion without seeing you on the bike we will not be able to comment constructively.

Just as an aside here are pics of both my Dale's and my old Scott which were all 58cm, as you can see they dont look out of proportion.

n6fj0w.jpg
    25a25pf.jpg
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I am 6' 1" and bought a 63cm Cannondale on the basis that I already owned a 60cm bike of a different brand and needed a lot of seatpost and spacers under the stem on that. At the time I didn't realise one brand's 60cm might be totally different to another's.

Looking at the measurements of each size on the Cannondale, as you go up the sizes, the length of the seat tube & head tube both increase disproportionally more than the toptube, i.e. you get a frame that's much taller but not so much longer. The 60cm frame's seattube and headtube are both 3cm shorter than those on the 63cm, but the toptube is only 1cm shorter. To ride it I would need a longer seatpost (I'm already on the minimum insertion line with the 63cm bike) to get the same saddle height and 5cm of spacers under the stem (as opposed to 2cm) to get the same saddle to bar drop.

At first I felt that the 63cm was way too long and I regretted buying it without test riding a smaller one first. To make it shorter I rode it with a straight seatpost (the original was 10mm setback) with the seat all the way forwards and a 90cm stem (the original was 120cm). When I finally coughed up for a bike fit I ended up with a 130mm stem and the seat almost all the way back. Yet I didn't feel stretched out.

Basically what I'm saying is, don't buy a bike based on what size anyone on an internet forum thinks will fit you. You can get away with having a bike that's slightly too big or slightly too small, but you're better off getting a bike fit and ensuring that you get the correct size. Whatever the reason is that you can't get to a shop to try a bike out for size, you're better off getting around that somehow rather than relying on guesswork.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Herbsman wrote:
    Basically what I'm saying is, don't buy a bike based on what size anyone on an internet forum thinks will fit you. You can get away with having a bike that's slightly too big or slightly too small, but you're better off getting a bike fit and ensuring that you get the correct size. Whatever the reason is that you can't get to a shop to try a bike out for size, you're better off getting around that somehow rather than relying on guesswork.

+1
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • singleton
    JesseD wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:

+1
    +2

Although if you can only visit one shop then beware of them recommending what they happen to have in stock.
  • winton
    winton Posts: 165
    Absolutely agree with previous two or three posts - I'm 6'2 and I have a 58cm SuperSix and a 60cm CAAD9 and have them set up differently with regard to posts, stem length etc but neither is more or less comfortable than the other. I've been able to fo it as I got a full Retül fit and so I can replicate my riding position.

It is the fit that matters, not a particular frame size.