drafting/tailgating - is it acceptable?

2»

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Him - he should not be on a bike.

As for drafting; I don't really care if someone feels they need to draft - I just take comfort from the fact that I am obviously stronger and faster.

In your specific case, Yes, you probably antagonized him about a very small point, but that does not excuse his actions.

**However, I have taken a draft from a guy, but I did ask him first and then swapped when he was knackered in a strong headwind. Worked out well for the pair of us.....
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    In terms of insurance. Is the person behind always at fault. As they should keep a safe distance should the person in front, brake suddenly. Yes this guy is an idiot for what he did but I don't know where you would stand insurance wise.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    the only people i would draft on a commute are people clearly wearing club kit (and i dont mean pro kit). as they have an idea of what they are doing. i also let them know im joining them and will give them a pull and offer hand signals. however i also wont draft them as closely i would someone from my club who i've ridden with before and even then i dont draft them that closely in traffic as everyone deals with traffic in a different matter

Drafting a complete stranger is a dangerous game, a very dangerous game.

Last week i was riding home from a warm down ride and the guy in front of me was a club rider from herts, he had a long way to go so i gave him a pull for a few miles.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I don't mind being drafted as long as I trust the rider which generally means I think they have a bit of experience group riding. Reasons being I want to know if I slow or avoid an obstacle they'll be able to read the situation/ my signals. Generalising I think you can normally tell who the less experienced riders are - they tend to overlap wheels, shoot past when you start to slow (even after signalling) and sometimes blow out of their behind trying to stay on your wheel, because well you're a girl, and they must be able to keep up with a girl. For these guys I tend to either try and put a little more power down and leave them or turn round and ask them to give me a little space.

Sometimes it's great to work together with someone especially if you're both tired, but the ettiquette of sharing the work and saying thank you makes a big difference.
    Drafting girls is about keeping it up...
    FTFY
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Allez Mark wrote:
    In terms of insurance. Is the person behind always at fault. As they should keep a safe distance should the person in front, brake suddenly. Yes this guy is an idiot for what he did but I don't know where you would stand insurance wise.

Hmmm, not quite.
    If you're just riding/driving along and the car in front brakes, you don't stop and hit it then it's your fault.

If you're riding/driving and someone overtakes, pulls in front and slams the brakes on then it's probably their fault. They've positioned themselves too close to you, not the other way round.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • It is never acceptable to tailgate someone you do not know, If it is a windy day and there is another roadie infront of me I alsways ask if they want to take turns at the front if we are at the same level, In groups there are special hand signals to avoid potholes or cars on the kerb as the person infront is your eyes, if you tailgate or draft someone you dont know you are cycling blind to what is directly infront of you. He was in the wrong as most people would not break at a hill going down and he should of been aware of you behind if he had just overtaken you. Thats my opinion
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    bails87 wrote:
    Allez Mark wrote:

Hmmm, not quite.
    If you're just riding/driving along and the car in front brakes, you don't stop and hit it then it's your fault.

If you're riding/driving and someone overtakes, pulls in front and slams the brakes on then it's probably their fault. They've positioned themselves too close to you, not the other way round.

Is that the way the law sees it?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    hang on was he one of the club riders you mentioned??
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I'm with Blonde Cyclist on this. I don't mind someone drafting me if I think they know what they're doing, which means either clubmates, people I recognise, people I've seen giving hand signals, or (generally) people in club kit. I get very annoyed at being drafted by people who may not know what they're doing, mostly because I've had a few incidents. One guy trashed my rear mech and then rode off, a couple of others have hit me without causing major damage, and I've heard quite a few oaths muttered as people lock wheels behind me, or shoot past down improbably narrow gaps. One guy hit me as I stopped at a red light and uttered "I though you were going to go for it". In their eyes I probably bring it upon myself by riding quite fast, having quite effective brakes, and always stopping at red lights and zebra crossings.

For the OP's situation, isn't it illegal to leave the scene of an accident without providing details?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,772
    TGOTB wrote:
    I'm with Blonde Cyclist on this. I don't mind someone drafting me if I think they know what they're doing, which means either clubmates, people I recognise, people I've seen giving hand signals, or (generally) people in club kit. I get very annoyed at being drafted by people who may not know what they're doing, mostly because I've had a few incidents. One guy trashed my rear mech and then rode off, a couple of others have hit me without causing major damage, and I've heard quite a few oaths muttered as people lock wheels behind me, or shoot past down improbably narrow gaps. One guy hit me as I stopped at a red light and uttered "I though you were going to go for it". In their eyes I probably bring it upon myself by riding quite fast, having quite effective brakes, and always stopping at red lights and zebra crossings.

For the OP's situation, isn't it illegal to leave the scene of an accident without providing details?

+1 (although I'm not a club member) particularly the last bit.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I dont mind drafting personally, but surely you can explain better if you would prefer not to have someone on your wheel?
    I do feel heroic when someone on a bike with a single wheel costing more than my whole bike drafts me.

Plus im with RC. I'm only getting stronger if I'm pushing into the wind.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Someone overtakes me and they're not going a lot faster, it's difficult not to drop in behind them. I'd never ride right on their rear wheel. Bottom line is it's not doing them any harm....and the mobile windbreak means it's just as easy to draft them as not - do I really need to actually consciously slow down to let them get ahead enough that I can carry on at the same level of effort without taking any advantage?

The problem is that if they want to share the lead, the reason they caught you in the first place was because you weren't going as fast as they were when the wind was in your face. So while you're OK keeping up while they're leading, you may struggle to maintain the same pace when you are!

Me, I reckon if you overtake someone, you either need to overtake them properly or assume they're going to be drafting you for the rest of the journey!

As to who was at fault: no question, he was. Nothing excuses that type of dangerous behaviour. But I find that the best thing with drafters is just to swallow any irritation, cycle no faster than I would anyway, and treat them with as much courtesy as you would someone to whom you'd given permission. They're only using your waste energy and it's not as if it costs you anything.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    TGOTB wrote:

Yep agreed. I can see a train of thought in both directions for drafting me:

Pro: Great big windbreak that rolls fast (obviously not up hill but you shouldn't need a draft up a good hill anyway)
    Con: There are times when I have tactical dismounts. Occasionally there is no obstacle involved. Oh yeah, and my brakes are good.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Allez Mark wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Allez Mark wrote:

Hmmm, not quite.

It's common law ("fault" in an accident is only really relevant for civil liability purposes) so there's no statute to refer to. A decision in a particular case would be down to precedent and the decision of the judge on the balance of probabilities.

In general, though, yes. There are a variety of circumstances where hitting someone in the rear is not automatically your fault: if someone has cut you up, pulled from a side road/parked, being shunted from behind into the vehicle in front, etc. The trouble is frequently presenting a case convincingly enough that the judge rules that way. There are a lot of judges that will treat a simpler set of circumstances ("He hit me from behind") as intrinsically more plausible than more complicated circumstances ("he cut me up as we left a roundabout and left me nowhere to go").
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Why would you draft someone on the commute?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • EKE_38BPM
    cjcp wrote:

Strava has a lot to answer for. Think Renshaw and Cav.

• jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    cjcp wrote:
    Was following quick-ish bloke on tourer or road bike with rack. He was making good speed.
    On Elizabeth Way he slowed down to ~12mph. There was a bike in front of him, but there seemed like plenty of room for him to to overtake.
    Ahh. I understand. It's a burd in lycra shorts and a thin dress.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Again, I'm with Blonde Cyclist - I don't mind drafting if I'm out on a ride and the one behind knows what they are doing, but I'm not so keen on it on my 13 mile commute home, it's always uphill, and it's always a bloke who doesn't know what he's doing, who'll let me do the work and then buggers off like a rat up a drainpipe. I've never ever had a tow home from someone.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rhext
    cjcp wrote:

it's friday, you've just done another 50 hour week, you've got another 8 miles of straight road to go, there's a nagging head wind....and then some bloke overtakes you and doesn't immediately vanish into the distance. Why wouldn't you draft him? He's asking for it!
  • EKE_38BPM
    msmancunia wrote:
    ...I've never ever had a tow home from someone.
    The reason for this has already been explained.
    rhext wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    ...He's asking for it!
    This reminds me of the short skirt, low cut top defence.

• rhext
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    ...I've never ever had a tow home from someone.
    The reason for this has already been explained.
    rhext wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    ...He's asking for it!
    This reminds me of the short skirt, low cut top defence.

I never said I was proud of myself....merely knack*rd...
  • esspeebee
    esspeebee Posts: 174
    Allez Mark wrote:
    Generally speaking, the person behind is presumed to be at fault until evidence to the contrary can be presented. If you don't have video footage or eyewitness report of an incident like this, it'll be hard to convince an insurer that you weren't just riding too close and not paying attention.
  • papajimbo
    papajimbo Posts: 61
    To rhext, I've just done a 50 hour week and I'm knackered too and I don't want to be thinking about what some stranger right up my backside is doing. I'm enjoying a quiet ride home on my own, a bit of head space - I'm sure you can appreciate that after your week. I can either slow down and hang back or keep going so I keep going and before I know it I've got someone on my wheel. It's unsettling if you're driving and it's unsettling if you're riding too! If he wanted to cycle at my speed why wasn't he doing so in the first place? I can't match the guys that average 20mph and pass me so I don't hitch a lift, it's just bloody rude. A guy last night came up behind me - so he's going faster than me - and asked if I minded if he followed, I said 'no problem', within 10 minutes we were both going slower and chatted for the last 5 miles of the commute. Very different to the prat the other night.
  • rhext
    papajimbo wrote:
    To rhext, I've just done a 50 hour week and I'm knackered too and I don't want to be thinking about what some stranger right up my backside is doing. I'm enjoying a quiet ride home on my own, a bit of head space - I'm sure you can appreciate that after your week. I can either slow down and hang back or keep going so I keep going and before I know it I've got someone on my wheel. It's unsettling if you're driving and it's unsettling if you're riding too! If he wanted to cycle at my speed why wasn't he doing so in the first place? I can't match the guys that average 20mph and pass me so I don't hitch a lift, it's just bloody rude. A guy last night came up behind me - so he's going faster than me - and asked if I minded if he followed, I said 'no problem', within 10 minutes we were both going slower and chatted for the last 5 miles of the commute. Very different to the prat the other night.

he wasn't cycling at your pace to start with because without someone to draft he couldn't. Which also explains why he seems to slow down if he does actually pass you.

from my experience, if someone blasts past me I'm not going to bother. The ones I end up drafting are the ones who overtake and then hang around....I'd actually have to make a decision to slow down if I wanted to avoid slipstreaming them.

but I also know that if I pass someone on my commute, and I don't pass them convincingly, I'm going to end up with a tail until our routes diverge. It's more due to the laws of aerodynamics than bad manners. I can get all upset about it, or I can just accept it as 'one of those things' and be polite.

Personally I find the latter approach means I continue to enjoy my ride home, don't get into a confrontation and, pehaps in extreme circumstances, don't end up with road rash.....