drafting/tailgating - is it acceptable?

papajimbo
papajimbo Posts: 61
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Plenty of club riders pass me on my commute and I pass the odd cyclist. Sometimes one will choose to follow close in my draft. Now I enjoy my solo ride to work and back as well as riding in a group at the weekend but I don't like the sensation of having a stranger riding right up my backside on my commute. It's particularly annoying when I slow to let them pass and then they revert to the pace they were going at before I went past them in the first place meaning I'm either stuck behind or we repeat the process. This happened today so the 2nd time, having passed him on a hill and then going round a tight downhill corner with this cyclist right behind I slowed and, admittedly using some choice expletives, let him pass telling him to ride on his own. He promptly slotted in front of me and slammed on his brakes. I hit his rear wheel, and still clipped in hit the ground. Plenty of road rash, torn bar tape, badly scratched pedals and the boa fastening ripped off my shoes. My bum is sore but my shoes are wrecked!

Who is in the wrong?

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Him.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Well thats road rage, the slamming on of brakes.

I'm afraid drafting and close overtakes is part of the roadie way, and there are a lot of new ones at the moment!

But plenty will think it's what roadies do.

I do dislike drafters normally I raise the pace and shift postion out ie so they are not in my draft and thats that.
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    I'm fairly new to cycling again, having taken it up again about 2 months ago. I don't see the problem with drafting to be honest, but it's a bit inconsiderate not to take your turn when the lead ride asks or slows to let you pass. Granted, this only usually works in a group of friends etc.

I wouldn't dream of drafting a complete stranger for miles and miles on end though ... that's just a little weird, and pretty rude.

The cyclist you mention does sound a major tool though, as slamming on their brakes causing you to have an accident is bang out of order.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What a tw*t!

Him. Even if it was rude of you to tell him to get lost that's no excuse for him to cause you to crash.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    He was. He cut you up. Is he insured ?

Drafting someone you don't know is never remotely OK.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    His fault. It ain't cool to draft someone you don't know as you limit their options for e.g. evasive action. You also might crash into the back of them, and it's just plain rude, so don't do it.

I've wondered about the idea of riding straight at potholes and bunny-hopping them at the last second, but I still can't work out the ethics of that... especially given the pothole-caused crash I had.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • papajimbo
    Don't know if he's insured but there is not really an alternative route for him to take in future so I might have the opportunity to find out!! The road rash will heal and bar tape is cheap but the shoes will cost plenty to replace.
  • papajimbo
    Oh yes, forgot to mention - he didn't even look back, just rode off with me lying in the middle of the road!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    davis wrote:
    His fault. It ain't cool to draft someone you don't know as you limit their options for e.g. evasive action. You also might crash into the back of them, and it's just plain rude, so don't do it.
    True but buses, lorries, vans, 4x4s and larger cars totally acceptable and it's a great way off picking up speed on your urban commute. Typically I'll only draft someone if they've had the cheek to overtake then dropped to my speed or lower. IMHO that is more rude than drafting a random.
    davis wrote:
    I've wondered about the idea of riding straight at potholes and bunny-hopping them at the last second, but I still can't work out the ethics of that... especially given the pothole-caused crash I had.
    I do this is great for a giggle/flourish when you've just passed someone. But landing hurts when you clip out as you lift the back end.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    Morally speaking- he is definitely in the wrong (and clearly a knob jockey)- but legally speaking, even if he had insurance, it'd be a bugger to try and collect as you would have to prove he braked excessively as you went into the back of him (sounds like he did it deliberately but proving it is another matter) he could just say he slowed for a hazard.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Drafting aside, the man is an utter c*nt for riding away after you came off. He deserves a slap and I suggest you tell him so.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    That sounds like an action worthy of a fight IMO. I'm not saying you should, I wouldn't. But it is worthy of a slap at least.

You get this a lot these days: Many cyclists with a chip on their shoulder and the belief that ever action they take is completely right. Yet they seem devoid of any courtesy, understanding of road/cycing etiquette or of those around them.

Grumbles....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    edited May 2012
    He sounds like a complete tool.
    The only time I've done it was when I was dying on my arse.
    And I asked if it was ok first (the bloke actually went 2 miles out of his way to lead me home!).
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    davis wrote:

I like that alot.

That, or make sure you have been on the ale's the night before or had an egg sandwich. No-one will want to draft you after that.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Neither of you comes out of this in a good light.

The fact you rode into therear of him suggests that you were prima facie riding too close and as such are probably to blame (in law)

You have no right to not be drafted - no matter how annoying it may be
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Let them know.

I get a fair few drafters. I take Mr Ribble's advice that you're only going to get any quicker if you MTFU and take on the wind, so I do.

Occasionally I get fed up with them so I turn around and ask them to not. Usually they get so embarrassed/irritated it gives them the adrenaline rush to zoom off up ahead which is fine. Then you know when you reel them in again, you better go past at a good rate, so they can't get your wheel again ;).

Though their irritation is usually proportional to how sarky my comment is.

Something like "This isn't the Tour, you're not Cavendish and I'm not Renshaw" doesn't usually go down very well....
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i like to let out farts when someone is drafting that close, i try to make em the ones you can hear

they generally get the idea

drafting a stranger is bad m'ok?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Some bugger drafted me all the way up through Leyton/Walthamstow into the breeze the other day. By the top of the incline I was starting to feel the burn, he RLJd and b*ggered off. Cheek.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • I've been drafted a few times going up a hill before on my Brompton... once without realising it, and then as I went to turn off at my lights the guy thought I'd had enough and said, are you a bit tired now?! Cheek.

If I spot you, I will slow down if it's really annoying me, I'll even pull over. Or, if I see anyone drafting anyone else, I'll crank it up and head past (quite effective as I'm a girl). When I was on my Brompton, I used to find that funny, especially going uphill. I just thought, you can only go the speed that guy is dragging you at, you're generally faster on your own, unless working together. I could be wrong, but that's usually how it played out for me.
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    He was clearly an utter c*nt but you probably shouldn't have sworn at him, just explain that you don't like being drafted in polite language...

I quite like being drafted, it gives me the impetus to push harder to shake them off, it's a bit of a challenge. 9 times out of 10 they give up and drop off once I start grinding the pedals...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I just don't see the problem with being drafted. People aren't usually as close as you think anyway, if someone is drafting really close than chances are they know what they are doing. Worst case scenario - you have to brake sharply, they clip your rear wheel, they will be the ones to hit the deck (I have experienced this - fortunately the guy was OK). If you really don't like it, challenge is there to ride them off your wheel. OP sounds like he got what he deserved for being so rude and aggressive in the first place, although I don't condone the other cyclist's behaviour. That's life though - you pick an unnecessary fight with a stranger, you run that risk.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    The guy in the OP was a tw4t. Its dangerous cycling.

I have no problem with people drafting me as long as its not in heavy traffic and they're not too close. It gives me an incentive to keep the pace up. I just make sure I'm aware of their position and signal for obstacles. If the drafter is a sloppy rider though I'll either try and drop them or let them pass.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i havent got an issue with drafter but its when the are that close their front wheel over hangs your rear (had this down the dock road in liverpool if anyone know it)

i just slowed down

jamming on brakes to make someone come off is uncool in my book an would probably get a knuckle sandwich if they tried that shizny with me yo!

i always feel though if someone is drafting me, it means im better-er than them so even if they over take me i still win morally
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    Another way of looking at this incident, without any knowledge of the road, traffic conditions, speeds etc:
    The guy was drafting, then was forced into an overtake on a tight downhill corner. After overtaking, he pulls back in and continues to brake for the bend.
    More noise and shouts from behind him could just be more abuse, so he didn't look back and didn't realise the OP had fallen off. If it was a tight bend, he would be out of sight in a few seconds.
  • I don't mind being drafted as long as I trust the rider which generally means I think they have a bit of experience group riding. Reasons being I want to know if I slow or avoid an obstacle they'll be able to read the situation/ my signals. Generalising I think you can normally tell who the less experienced riders are - they tend to overlap wheels, shoot past when you start to slow (even after signalling) and sometimes blow out of their behind trying to stay on your wheel, because well you're a girl, and they must be able to keep up with a girl. For these guys I tend to either try and put a little more power down and leave them or turn round and ask them to give me a little space.

Sometimes it's great to work together with someone especially if you're both tired, but the ettiquette of sharing the work and saying thank you makes a big difference.
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Nobody is forced to overtake. If you're not paying enough attention or your brakes aren't good enough to stop in time then you shouldn't be that close. Certainly not with someone you don't know.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I don't mind being drafted as long as I trust the rider which generally means I think they have a bit of experience group riding. Reasons being I want to know if I slow or avoid an obstacle they'll be able to read the situation/ my signals. Generalising I think you can normally tell who the less experienced riders are - they tend to overlap wheels, shoot past when you start to slow (even after signalling) and sometimes blow out of their behind trying to stay on your wheel, because well you're a girl, and they must be able to keep up with a girl. For these guys I tend to either try and put a little more power down and leave them or turn round and ask them to give me a little space.

Sometimes it's great to work together with someone especially if you're both tired, but the ettiquette of sharing the work and saying thank you makes a big difference.
    Drafting girls isn't about keeping up...
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If you stop and swear at someone who doesn't think what they are doing is wrong then maybe you shouldn't be surprised if they don't react well to it.

TBH, I'm with Matt on this. OK, in Leeds there are less people to do it so less potential to be regularly annoyed by it but if I find someone drafting me I just count it as easy karma for me. OK, I did tow a bloke on a road bike up a two mile hill only for him to make a break at the top which I thought a bit rude but we both knew that he needed to do it to salvage his shattered pride at needing a heavy old Dawes tourer to tow him.

If the OP had been a bit more pleasant about it, both OP and the drafter would have had a nicer day.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Don't like being drafted by people I don't know. Being on a tourer usually means I don't have speed to outrun them so I tend to slow and flick the elbow which is usually enough hint for them to pass.Most club riders are OK although I have had a couple of clingons - slow down enough and they get the hint
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Seriously. A good look round, if the traffic allows often gives the right impression....