Help choosing road shoes

mdazza
mdazza Posts: 6
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I'm on a pretty tight budget of about 70 pounds as i'm a student. There are two shoes i've come across within my budget that i do like though. These are the Giro Treble and the Specialized BG Sport. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either or both of these and which you'd recommend...
I thought everything was going well. Then life happened.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Have you tried them on? If not, try them on. Then you should be able to decide for yourself. Doesn't matter what anyone else says really if they don't fit your feet.
    More problems but still living....
  • mdazza
    I've tried the specialized but my lbs doesn't stock the giro so they would be an online purchase. Are giro shoes generally true to size?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Specialized BG range are very good, maybe have a look at the DHB carbons from Wiggle?
  • mdazza
    The dhb carbons would be perfect if they had my size (42). I just wondered if there was any inherent benefit of one over the other brand wise assuming the giro trebles fit as well as the specialized.
    Any other suggestions?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have the shimano r077. Not bad at all - perhaps could be stiffer. Probs save enough for a round of vodbulls afterwards too. Pricematched mine at fatbirds.co.uk and bought from Evans.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    ive been using the spesh BG daily for the commute for the last 3-4 years, fit and comfort just about perfect although I find they generally only last one UK commuting year before the smell gets to bad or they fall apart, I have also recently switched to the blue higher arch insoles which makes them even more comfortable.

That said I also have sidis, northwave, pearl and now diadora http://www.diadora.com/en/16/41/2672/cy ... try_2.html the spesh are still the most comfortable.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    coriordan wrote:
    I have the shimano r077. Not bad at all - perhaps could be stiffer. Probs save enough for a round of vodbulls afterwards too. Pricematched mine at fatbirds.co.uk and bought from Evans.

I've got R087s -> quality shoes.. and its worth the extra over the r077s in my opinion because you get the buckle rather than velcro on the top strap.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    have a look out for sales - I normally get my shoes on year late and half the price - if they were good enough last year they are good enough this year - but try them on in a shop first (and then snoop the internet - a lot of shops will offer price match) - that said I have a very good pair of spesh - but my right foot didn't like them after about 10 miles! or in hot weather (I think my foot expanded) so there is an element of luck as well.

I use Sidi's now - they are a dream.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    If the Specialized fit well when you've tried them on then buy them. Personally I moved from a BG Pro in a 46 (too roomy in the toe box for my flat feet) to a Giro Factor in a 47 and the Giro fit me perfectly (narrow body, wide toe box but quite low).
  • mdazza
    I've seen the shimano r106 for £75 on wiggle. It's a more expensive shoe so I'm assuming it's superior to what I've been looking at so far.
    My only problem now (it's only a niggle really) is how the red accents on the shoe will look with my bike (boardman road race). I'll learn to value function over form I suppose!
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    mdazza wrote:
    My only problem now (it's only a niggle really) is how the red accents on the shoe will look with my bike (boardman road race).

dont think of it as an accent, more of a go faster stripe :P
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,502
    Rribble have some good prices on shimano shoes. If you're on a budget then the R064 must be worth considering surely for just £45.... that leaves £25 of your budget for beer....
  • Cliveyp
    Cliveyp Posts: 173
    I picked up a 2010 (i think) version of these pretty cheap. http://www.diadora.com/en/16/41/2645/cy ... arbon.html

I have nothing to compare them to, but for me they're ideal....although silver is a bit garish for me generally. I'm not fixed to any make though so will weigh up other options when these give up now I know that i'll use them!
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
    2001 Giant Boulder - Sold
  • mdazza
    My shimano r106 arrived today and they fit beautifully! I can see happy days ahead!