What fork is smoother? Rockshox or Fox?

2»

Comments

• Rushmore wrote:
    I own the 2012 AMR 7500..

It's nothing short of amazing...

Which one would you recommend? You think there is a lot of difference between the 5900?
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    well, the rear shock is alot better on the 7500, and it's lighter due to the full XT groupset.. So for the small price increase it;s more then worth it beings your spending so much on a bike in the first place!
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Rushmore wrote:
    well, the rear shock is alot better on the 7500, and it's lighter due to the full XT groupset.. So for the small price increase it;s more then worth it beings your spending so much on a bike in the first place!

But don't they share the same shock?

The AMR 5900 from 2011 has the same shock as on the 2012 AMR 7500, as far as I am concerned.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    indeed they do... my mistake...

So it;s basically a weight saving thing..
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Rushmore wrote:
    indeed they do... my mistake...

So it;s basically a weight saving thing..

And does the XT make a big difference in shifting gears and braking maybe? Apart from the weight and looks.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I'd get the 5900 and a Rock shox Reverb with the £300 you save

If you really want the upgrades of the 7500 you can shop around and buy all the XT stuff (front mech, shifters, brakes, cassette & hubs) for about £300 anyway and swap it all over - then either sell the Deore/SLX kit or keep it for a build sometime in the future.

Basically I don't think the difference between the two bikes is worth £300. Deore/SLX is good, reliable kit
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • I'd get the 5900 and a Rock shox Reverb with the £300 you save

If you really want the upgrades of the 7500 you can shop around and buy all the XT stuff (front mech, shifters, brakes, cassette & hubs) for about £300 anyway and swap it all over - then either sell the Deore/SLX kit or keep it for a build sometime in the future.

Basically I don't think the difference between the two bikes is worth £300. Deore/SLX is good, reliable kit

Thank you very much for your input. Since I'm already buying the 5900 2011, it is full SLX (with hubs and derrailleur XT) I think this is going to be my choice, as I am buying it for 1.400 EUROS.

The 2011 7500 costs 1.700 EUR.

The guy at the shop, a day ago, had it listed for 1.600 EUR, and from one day to another changed his mind because it was the last one standing, boom, 100 Eur more.

So I guess no point. Besides the 7500 is in green, not really my taste.

Cheers and thanks a lot for the input :)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    The extra travel will make more difference as you can run a softer set up with more travel. Personally I prefer Rockshox, more reliable & requie less servicing.

Well, I'm kind of sad to be getting the bike with Fox then. What's the big deal of bike companies installing Fox forks instead of Rock Shox? If they are even more reliable and require less servicing.

You're sad to be getting a bike with Fox forks? Oh dear, you've taken in the fanboi blaring.

You always get your fanbois from either party, I've used plenty of Rockshoxs in my time and yes they're great and I certainly wouldn't say no to a set of Rebas with blackbox, but I have to say my current Fox RLC's with FIT dampner are amazing.

All those who mentioned that Fox don't do small bump sensitivity are talking out of their backside, or they haven't properly set up the forks. Also it was mentioned that the FIT dampner isn't as good as the open bath dampner for small bump, again total crap I have both (Open on the Whyte, FIT on the Stumpy) and the FIT dampner wins again.

As mentioned, either RS or Fox forks are great (depending on what model fork you get of course).
  • Briggo wrote:
    The extra travel will make more difference as you can run a softer set up with more travel. Personally I prefer Rockshox, more reliable & requie less servicing.

Well, I'm kind of sad to be getting the bike with Fox then. What's the big deal of bike companies installing Fox forks instead of Rock Shox? If they are even more reliable and require less servicing.

You're sad to be getting a bike with Fox forks? Oh dear, you've taken in the fanboi blaring.

You always get your fanbois from either party, I've used plenty of Rockshoxs in my time and yes they're great and I certainly wouldn't say no to a set of Rebas with blackbox, but I have to say my current Fox RLC's with FIT dampner are amazing.

All those who mentioned that Fox don't do small bump sensitivity are talking out of their backside, or they haven't properly set up the forks. Also it was mentioned that the FIT dampner isn't as good as the open bath dampner for small bump, again total crap I have both (Open on the Whyte, FIT on the Stumpy) and the FIT dampner wins again.

As mentioned, either RS or Fox forks are great (depending on what model fork you get of course).

Thanks, forums are for advice so I don't really know whether Im getting the right advice or wrong. Unfortunately I cannot make any judgement because I have not tried either. Besides, I don't even have the chance to do it. I have only tried a Reba from last year and it was so smooth.

I will just see how it behaves, if I find it's smooth enough, I will keep it. I will bring my new bike to a shop where bikes with Rebas are sold and I will compare smoothness.

But thanks, your answer was much appreciated.

Cheers
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Not really a fair test as forks bed in.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    I will bring my new bike to a shop where bikes with Rebas are sold and I will compare smoothness.

Waste of time , you can not compare but still a funny. :lol::lol::lol:
  • omegas wrote:
    I will bring my new bike to a shop where bikes with Rebas are sold and I will compare smoothness.

Waste of time , you can not compare but still a funny. :lol::lol::lol:

Why could you not?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Partly because new forks can sffer from a little bit of stiction, partly because they won't be set up the same, but mainly because the shop won't let you hit some gnarly run.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Partly because new forks can sffer from a little bit of stiction, partly because they won't be set up the same, but mainly because the shop won't let you hit some gnarly run.

I understand, but we have a shop here with Specialized bikes and I can pretty much try any bike I want. You can even take the bike for 4 days. They are test bikes.

So I'd choose one with a Reba.

Regards
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So why didn't you do that before you bought a bike? So you will either be happy you got Fox, so no difference or sad so pointless, unless you enjoy depression.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    So why didn't you do that before you bought a bike? So you will either be happy you got Fox, so no difference or sad so pointless, unless you enjoy depression.

No chance to try the fox. I haven't bought the bike yet and I'm getting it for a good price.
  • equinefunk
    equinefunk Posts: 323
    njee20 wrote:
    Get the bike that's right and don't get hung up over Fox or RS. Either are excellent forks.

How often do you have to service the Fox? I will mainly be riding in the city with some dirt roads, and in the weekends maybe some climbing but not much.

Why are you even worried when you mainly ride in a city and on dirt roads? Do you even need suspension?
    I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.
  • equinefunk wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    Get the bike that's right and don't get hung up over Fox or RS. Either are excellent forks.

How often do you have to service the Fox? I will mainly be riding in the city with some dirt roads, and in the weekends maybe some climbing but not much.

Why are you even worried when you mainly ride in a city and on dirt roads? Do you even need suspension?

Personal choice and comfort. Besides, I am moving to a country where I will be able to enjoy the bike. Period.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I've had Rockshox and Fox forks over the years, never serviced any of them and never had issues with any of them either.
  • nferrar wrote:
    I've had Rockshox and Fox forks over the years, never serviced any of them and never had issues with any of them either.

Cool. I don't plan to do it regularly either. Perhaps once a year.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Just to level it out a bit, owned numerous sets of both. Prefered Fox every time, they've broke less and been far smoother and sensitive on small bumps. Curiously I did prefer my open bath ones to my new Kashima Float RLCs at the moment, they might need to bed in a bit though, getting the divey feeling if I run them too soft.

The only time I prefer Rockshox is if I plan to run compression damping really high, like on a racey hardtail. Motion control is cheap and works well, on trail bikes I generally run open though.