What fork is smoother? Rockshox or Fox?

captainbligh
captainbligh Posts: 35
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I am new here.

I am about to buy a new bike, full suspension (still choosing) between a Ghost AMR 5900 and 7500. (Both from the year 2011)
These bikes have Fox 32 F120 RL Fit. 120mm. Both.

There are other bikes, like for example the Ghost RT 5900 and 7500.
They have a Rock Shox Reba RL Air Poploc 100mm.

I am looking for a smooth fork. Sensitive to small bumps. I'm light (71kg).

Are Fox as smooth as Rock Shox?

Thanks!

Comments

• EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    No hard and fast rule. Different people like different things.

Both these forks will be good, but the Fox (especially with a FIT damper) would be my choice.

Although I have a Reba RL 120mm on my hardtail and it's great.

Can you try them out?
  • Hello and thanks.

Unfortunately not, I can't try them. I'm buying them from Germany.

I remember trying a Reba, so smooth. But I have never laid a hand on a Fox.

Why would the Fox be your choice? Cheers :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Different style bikes though - the AMR is more all mountain lite, the RT more XC/racy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sambuca
    Sambuca Posts: 116
    edited April 2012
    IMO rockshox are far smoother for small bump sensitivity, I've had loads and loved them and after recently changing to fox I actually took them back to be checked as I couldn't believe they were meant to feel the way they do, controlled but not smooth for me.....
  • cooldad wrote:
    Different style bikes though - the AMR is more all mountain lite, the RT more XC/racy.

I know that yes. I wouldn't miss or mind the 20mm more/less. And weight by 700 grams difference is definitely not a problem.

I currently have an old Trek Fuel 90 from 2005 with some upgraded components.

I'm basically using the bike on trails, sometimes in the city for fun rides, and sometimes for climbing.
  • Sambuca wrote:
    IMO rockshox are far smoother for small bump sensitivity, I've had loads and loved them and after recently changing to fix I actually took them back to be checked as I couldn't believe they were meant to feel the way they do, controlled but not smooth for me.....

Interesting, well, that's sad about Fox. I really like the small bump sensitivity thing.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    The Fox FIT cartridge is not as sensitive to bumps as their open bath designs.

If the RS fork is a dual air fork, you can adjust the initial stoke sensitivity by putting more or less air in the negative chamber.

But saying that if your current bike is from 2005 you might be surprised how nice a buttery smooth both of them feel ?!

Also note there is more to the bikes than just a difference in suspension travel.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The extra travel will make more difference as you can run a softer set up with more travel. Personally I prefer Rockshox, more reliable & requie less servicing.
  • jairaj wrote:

If the RS fork is a dual air fork, you can adjust the initial stoke sensitivity by putting more or less air in the negative chamber.

But saying that if your current bike is from 2005 you might be surprised how nice a buttery smooth both of them feel ?!

Also note there is more to the bikes than just a difference in suspension travel.

Ok thank you!

But I am still wondering, why are Trek for example and other brands not putting 120mm Rebas onto their bikes? If they are more sensitive and nicer even.
  • The extra travel will make more difference as you can run a softer set up with more travel. Personally I prefer Rockshox, more reliable & requie less servicing.

Well, I'm kind of sad to be getting the bike with Fox then. What's the big deal of bike companies installing Fox forks instead of Rock Shox? If they are even more reliable and require less servicing.

I've always had Rock Shox in the past, never had a problem with them. Remember having a looong time ago Rock Shox JETT XC, it was really sensitive.

If a Fox is as smooth as that or even more, I would be satisfied!
  • cooldad
    jairaj wrote:

Ok thank you!

But I am still wondering, why are Trek for example and other brands not putting 120mm Rebas onto their bikes? If they are more sensitive and nicer even.
    Errrrrr
    http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/tested-2012-s ... pert-2000/

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... gn=froogle
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    The extra travel will make more difference as you can run a softer set up with more travel. Personally I prefer Rockshox, more reliable & requie less servicing.

Well, I'm kind of sad to be getting the bike with Fox then. What's the big deal of bike companies installing Fox forks instead of Rock Shox? If they are even more reliable and require less servicing.

I've always had Rock Shox in the past, never had a problem with them. Remember having a looong time ago Rock Shox JETT XC, it was really sensitive.

If a Fox is as smooth as that or even more, I would be satisfied!
    Get the bike that's right and don't get hung up over Fox or RS. Either are excellent forks.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    jairaj wrote:

Ok thank you!

Errrrrr
    http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/tested-2012-s ... pert-2000/

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... gn=froogle

Right... but that bike costs a lot I guess, I'm getting the GHOST 7500 from 2011 from a dealer for 1.400 EUROS.

Thanks for pointing out
  • EH_Rob
    The only reason I'd go with Fox is because I currently have the Reba and know what its like, so I probably wouldn't listen to me on that front, I'd just like to see what they're like!

On the subject of the Rebas, you can't really go wrong. You can set them up for small bump compliance if that's what you like, plus they're light, reliable and pretty straightforward to service.

You'll enjoy either I'm sure!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    DIY Servicing is much easier with Rockshox than with Fox.
    Manufacturers probably get better discounts with Fox than Rockshox which would explain why they fit them more often than Rockshox though my Reign X came with Rockshox Lyriks as standard
  • DIY Servicing is much easier with Rockshox than with Fox.
    Manufacturers probably get better discounts with Fox than Rockshox which would explain why they fit them more often than Rockshox though my Reign X came with Rockshox Lyriks as standard

Thanks! I will think about it... I'm leaning toward the Rock Shox after all the comments.... Even though it has 2cm less travel
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    You could get the bike with the F120, sell the fork and buy a 120mm Reba RL and have money left over.

Then you get your Rock Shox & your 120mm travel (and some change in your pocket)..happy days
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • You could get the bike with the F120, sell the fork and buy a 120mm Reba RL and have money left over.

Then you get your Rock Shox & your 120mm travel (and some change in your pocket)..happy days

Sounds like a good idea. What are the price differences in normal life? Online I seem to get really different prices depending on the sites I visit....
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Get the bike that's right and don't get hung up over Fox or RS. Either are excellent forks.

This.

Either will surpass a Jett XC by an incomparable amount.

I'd probably get RS if buying aftermarket, but my last bike came with Fox, and they've been more than adequate, no complaints on sensitivity. Had to replace the uppers after 10 months, but I'd not serviced them as regularly as I could have done and the new seals have negated this to an extent anyway.
  • EH_Rob
    At a guess the Fox will be hundreds of pounds more expensive. On One and Merlin are usually the cheapest place for Rebas - you can sometimes get them for £250 for the basic (RL) model, although can can spend more if you wish.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    You can get 120mm Reba RL for about £300 and the F120 FIT seems to be about £500. So I'm sure you could get £400 for them as they'll be new, unused but not-boxed. £100 left in your pocket to go towards a dropper post :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • njee20 wrote:

This.

Either will surpass a Jett XC by an incomparable amount.

I'd probably get RS if buying aftermarket, but my last bike came with Fox, and they've been more than adequate, no complaints on sensitivity. Had to replace the uppers after 10 months, but I'd not serviced them as regularly as I could have done and the new seals have negated this to an extent anyway.

Thanks! I will think about it.

How often do you have to service the Fox? I will mainly be riding in the city with some dirt roads, and in the weekends maybe some climbing but not much.
  • EH_Rob wrote:
    At a guess the Fox will be hundreds of pounds more expensive. On One and Merlin are usually the cheapest place for Rebas - you can sometimes get them for £250 for the basic (RL) model, although can can spend more if you wish.

Great, thanks so much for the ideas!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    njee20 wrote:
    Had to replace the uppers after 10 months, but I'd not serviced them as regularly as I could have done and the new seals have negated this to an extent anyway.
    My god :shock:

Shouldn't need new uppers no matter how infrequently you service a fork! I ran pikes for 2.5 years without ever servicing them and not one bit broke or needed replaced and they felt good as new the whole time.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    njee20 wrote:
    Had to replace the uppers after 10 months, but I'd not serviced them as regularly as I could have done and the new seals have negated this to an extent anyway.
    My god :shock:

Shouldn't need new uppers no matter how infrequently you service a fork! I ran pikes for 2.5 years without ever servicing them and not one bit broke or needed replaced and they felt good as new the whole time.

Fox uppers do seem to die, mine are on the way after a year, with seal changes :s

I'm going marzzochi when funds allow for minimal servicing,
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    DT Swiss; fit and forget and silky smooth.
  • Levi_501 wrote:
    DT Swiss; fit and forget and silky smooth.

What about prices?
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    It would be the RP23 on the back of the 7500 I'd go for...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Rushmore wrote:
    It would be the RP23 on the back of the 7500 I'd go for...

I am thinking whether to buy the AMR 5900 (XT and SLX) or the AMR 7500 (FULL XT).

The AMR 7500 costs 250 EUR more.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I own the 2012 AMR 7500..

It's nothing short of amazing...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838