Gain confidence back

munkeh
munkeh Posts: 27
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Sorry for another what bike thread, I assume there are hundreds.

Basically im trying to get into Mountain biking as I need a hobby :lol: and I need a cheapish bike approx £200-£250. Am I better of looking for something second hand, such as a specialized hardrock, or brand new such as the Mongoose Tyax 2011 which is £249.99

A reason for the low budget is that last time I went mountain biking, some time ago, I fell and broke my arm. So I feel I need to gain my confidence back :cry:

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• munkeh
    munkeh Posts: 27
    Could possibly stretch the budget to £300 if that helps?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If budget is really low, second hand, last year's models, ex-demos. Etc.

But if the budget is low just because of low confidence then maybe get a hire and go on a skills course.

Perhaps also get a hire and get out on some rides with friends or join up with people in the Rides section here, or maybe can even beg and borrow something.

I'm sure after a few rides out you'll know you're up for it or not, and then can spend proper money :D (but still - don't pay RRP for a bike these days! Expensive bikes that is. Haggle at least with new bikes. Budget bikes there's no room to move and you just get what you pay for).
  • hoots
    hoots Posts: 134
    I've got to agree with deadkenny's comment regarding the skills course. Over the years I've spent a small fortune on bikes & kit, but the best money I've ever spent on mountain biking has been on skills courses - they're usually real confidence boosters, even for more experienced riders.

Maybe try a half day course and hire a bike, if you then decide to buy your own bike, the money you've spent on the skills course won't be wasted - if my experience is anything to go by, you'll probably find yourself falling off less often after some training :)

If you do want to just get go out and get a bike, I'd say second hand is the way to go. If you don't want to risk the small ads etc., you could always ask your local bike shops if they've had any trade-ins.

HTH
  • Riding a cheap bike will not do wonders for your confidence. Cheap suspension is a nightmare and will hold you back. No easy answer, just try as many different bikes as you can. A well set up bike that fits you and has decent kit makes a world of difference to your ride and builds confidence.