Ethics of slipstreaming an electric bike

2»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    So long as he didn't mind they why not?

This. I hate people slipstreaming me, and is very rude when they don't say they are there, never mind dangerous.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Some comments being made about the speeds of these bikes had me wondering as I thought the maximum speed they could legally go was 15mph, so I checked:
    Despite the more recent EU directive and standard, the UK’s [22] Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1168) have not been rescinded and still apply. These require that the motor has an average power output limited to 200 W (250 W for tricycles and tandems), weight limited to 40 kg (60 kg for tricycles and tandems), and a maximum speed when power-assisted of 15 mph. For electric cycles meeting these requirements, the vehicle does not require registration or periodic road worthiness assessment, and operators do not require a licence or insurance. (Operators must be at least 14 years of age.) However, since 2006, when Statutory Instrument 2935 brought EU Directive 2002/24/EC into UK law, vehicles that don't meet the EU definition of an electric cycle have required type approval. This overlap of requirements has certain effects, as described below.

The following features of a EU-definition electric cycle are not legally available in the UK:

upper power outputs between 201 W and 250 W on bicycles
    maximum speeds between 15.01 mph and 15.53 mph
    weights above 40 kg for bicycles and 60 kg for tricycles and tandems

The following features of a UK-definition electric cycle make a vehicle subject to type approval:

the application of motor power without use of the pedals
    the application of motor power without progressive reduction to zero at 15.53 mph (meaning that at the maximum UK speed of 15 mph some residual supply of power is permitted)

There are no known cases of enforcement of the requirement for type approval. This could be because compliance with type approval is declared when a vehicle is first registered for use on the road, and UK-definition electric cycles are exempt from such registration by the 1983 UK regulations.

From wiki
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'd let you off if it was the new Specialized Turbo!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/v ... ike-33568/
  • Clearly electric bikes are not popular here but I see enough people riding them. There is one bloke I see going to work who gets a ridiculous speed out of this bike. I followed him once and clocked him at nearly 30 mph - needless to say i couldn't keep up for very long. Clearly his bike is in contravention of EU rules but I'm sure he gets to where he's going fast enough.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    The only other bike where I work is a Go Cycle. It hasn't gone anywhere. It's stood in the room where I store my bike during the day for months. Apparently she can't get it up a (fairly steep) bank on the way home with it's 250W motor.

e-bikes are never going to take off if they are this weak, surely the wattage and speed caps need to go up a bit to get more people interested taking a step towards the one true commuter device.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    yesterday morning I heard a rasping motor coming up behind me and thought it was a moped or similar, only to be overtaken by a bloke on an old mountain bike with some sort of petrol engine attached to it. He was flying but it didn't look very stable to me. Not sure what the authorities would make of it!

He was wearing a beanie though.....
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Chalky76 wrote:
    yesterday morning I heard a rasping motor coming up behind me and thought it was a moped or similar, only to be overtaken by a bloke on an old mountain bike with some sort of petrol engine attached to it. He was flying but it didn't look very stable to me. Not sure what the authorities would make of it!

He was wearing a beanie though.....
    Probably similar to what I saw. They're aftermarket bolt on engines and definitely not approved for road use in the UK out of the box. I did a double-take the first time it went by, and like you, thought it was a moped coming up from behind. They do go at a fair rate, but not so fast that you don't immediately think 'Right! I'm chasing that down!'
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    wrote:
    Shame on you. Electrics must be scalped, always.
    wrote:
    Why you no take scalp? You are now banished to commuting general. Get thee hence.

Now you're both wrong with this. Unless you were on a boris bike or worse they can't be. They can be "overtaken". A scalp only occurs when you are higher in the FCN than the overtaken person.

You are both naughty boys for incorrect terminology usage.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Electric bikes aren't capped at 15mph ime I went past one and he was doing a 20mph constant
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    We've purchased a few through the Cycle2Work scheme.
    One guy is registered disabled and reckons his will do up to 26mph on the flat, we commute in roughly the same direction and I haven't seen it doing more than 20mph when I've been going past him. Saying that I haven't seen him doing more than 20mph overttaking him when he's in his car. :twisted:

Overall all though I think there a great idea for people like him who can get out and do some gentle exercise with the security of being able to fall back on the motor if they're struggling.
    Though judging from some of the earlier comments they are, like most other things, open to abuse.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Electric bikes aren't capped at 15mph ime I went past one and he was doing a 20mph constant

My understanding is that many of them have an easily accessible derestricted mode that people purchasing them are sternly advised is not to be used on the public highway (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more).
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    nation wrote:
    My understanding is that many of them have an easily accessible derestricted mode that people purchasing them are sternly advised is not to be used on the public highway (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more).
    The speed restriction often also depends on the gear ratios that the ship with. Change the cogs a bit and you can easily boost the speed. :mrgreen: I've not done this but a couple of my colleagues who have electric bikes where the power goes through the normal drivetrain assure me its possible.

Mike
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    mudcovered wrote:
    nation wrote:
    The speed restriction often also depends on the gear ratios that the ship with. Change the cogs a bit and you can easily boost the speed. :mrgreen: I've not done this but a couple of my colleagues who have electric bikes where the power goes through the normal drivetrain assure me its possible.

Mike
    That makes sense.

So, if you derestrict it, change the 48t chainring to 53t and replace the smallest sprocket with an 11t, you've got a speed machine!

Until you're battery runs flat and you now have to lug all of those batteries around on a bike with too high gearing for the job.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!