Ethics of slipstreaming an electric bike

thescouselander
thescouselander Posts: 549
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Today I was feeling a bit lazy on the way home from work - I thought I'd just kick back and enjoy the weather. Anyway some bloke came past on his electric bike and since there was a bit of a headwind I though I'd just tuck in behind to reduce the effort - I have to say this worked pretty well and I have a nice easy ride for about 5 miles.

Now normally I might think this kind of behaviour is pretty unethical but I didn't feel guilty as this guy has electrical assistance. What do you think?

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Aren't electrical bikes capped at 15mph? At that speed I doubt you were getting much benefit!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    notsoblue wrote:
    Aren't electrical bikes capped at 15mph? At that speed I doubt you were getting much benefit!

+1 My immediate thought as I saw the title of the thread!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    So long as he didn't mind they why not? At 15mph against a headwind of course you would have been getting some benefit. I normally commute at about 12mph myself. Why go any faster? It's only more work shifting air about if you do. :)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Why you no take scalp? You are now banished to commuting general. Get thee hence.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Shame on you. Electrics must be scalped, always.
  • notsoblue wrote:

Indeed. I think we were going slightly faster than that, my computer was indicating 17mph which, into a headwind, isn't too bad.

Given the earlier comments looks like I might have to take the scalp if I see the same guy tomorrow :P
    As I said was feeling lazy today.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    When you sar "Slipstreaming", do you mean "Holding on to his seatpost"?
    Graham. :D
  • Graham. wrote:
    When you sar "Slipstreaming", do you mean "Holding on to his seatpost"?
    Graham. :D
    No, but that's not a bad idea!
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    You must have missed the whole point of SCR?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Oh the shame of it!

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Get 5 other cyclists to also tuck in behind then you can all partake in an impromptu Keirin
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Go on, admit it, you've drafted a mobility scooter haven't you ;-)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Aren't electric bikes at the bottom of the food chain? You may as well be eating poo.

Go post some pictures of chicks wearing scanty clothing in Cake Stop for a month.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    Oh good grief! Will you lot listen to yourselves? I would bet most of the people who ride electric bicycles regularly would far rather be fit enough not to have to; they should be encouraged, not derided.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    notsoblue wrote:

theres a bloke that literally flies past me most morning whilst i'm doing 20mph+

he said its de-restricted :shock:
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • None of the electric bikes I've encountered have been capped at 15.. seen them doing 25. Didn't stop me scalping him though :)
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    corshamjim wrote:
    Oh good grief! Will you lot listen to yourselves? I would bet most of the people who ride electric bicycles regularly would far rather be fit enough not to have to; they should be encouraged, not derided.
    No-one on here has anything against electric bikes. Many of us think they're a good thing for the reason you've stated. We just think when seen they should be overtaken....
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    jds_1981 wrote:
    corshamjim wrote:
    No-one on here has anything against electric bikes. Many of us think they're a good thing for the reason you've stated. We just think when seen they should be overtaken....
    This seems to sum up Commuting Chat vs. Commuting General to me ;)
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Kieran_Burns
    corshamjim wrote:

So when did you have a senseofhumourectomy?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    corshamjim wrote:

They should be sectioned...

Anyone who wants to be fit enough to not ride an electric bike - shouldn't ride an electric bike.

It's like someone who wants to skateboard shouldn't buy a washing machine and expect it to help.

As for derision - snort - if riding a hybrid is cause enough for leper status and schoolboy pranks (and it is) then riding one with an electric motor on it qualifies for round abuse.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Meh, if they're good enough for Cancellara... :D
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    corshamjim wrote:

i rather dough any of the folks I see with electric bikes do so because they can't ride normal bikes. if they couldn't they would most likely use a mobility scooter.

as others i'd suggest your taking this too seriously it is or was a light silly thread.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Greg T wrote:
    corshamjim wrote:

They should be sectioned...

Anyone who wants to be fit enough to not ride an electric bike - shouldn't ride an electric bike.

It's like someone who wants to skateboard shouldn't buy a washing machine and expect it to help.

As for derision - snort - if riding a hybrid is cause enough for leper status and schoolboy pranks (and it is) then riding one with an electric motor on it qualifies for round abuse.

Without wanting to sound like a massive bore and party pooper, (but I obviously will), my 90yr old grand-father uses his electric-assisted bike to visit my Alzheimer suffering grandmother in her home. Not a chance he could do that on a normal bike.

Then again, if you're slipstreaming him, you don't just need to MTFU, you need to sort your life out.
  • Kieran_Burns
    corshamjim wrote:

i rather dough any of the folks I see with electric bikes do so because they can't ride normal bikes. if they couldn't they would most likely use a mobility scooter.

as others i'd suggest your taking this too seriously it is or was a light silly thread.

Well - don't get a cob on about it, these people may be poorly bread....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    corshamjim wrote:

Well - don't get a cob on about it, these people may be poorly bread....

moldy.jpg
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861

Without wanting to sound like a massive bore and party pooper, (but I obviously will), my 90yr old grand-father uses his electric-assisted bike to visit my Alzheimer suffering grandmother in her home. Not a chance he could do that on a normal bike.

Then again, if you're slipstreaming him, you don't just need to MTFU, you need to sort your life out.

surely there is a difference in an OAP using a mo-bility scooter an some young rapscallion riding about a billion mph with only a gentle hum of an electric motor

the bloke that i see in the morning, it accelerates from a stand still to full pelt in about 30ft. In fact the cheeky swine even remarked last week "oh look at you guys on there nice shiny bikes..." an with that he disappeared in a cloud of electric motor hum noise similar to a milk float
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    It's not a mobility scooter. It's a bike with one of those electric motors inside. Y'know, the one Cancellara uses ;).

But yeah - if they're obviously on a proper scooter going at a good rate, then surely it's just (electric) motorpacing?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I used to regularly encounter some Polish/Russian guy on a MTB with a petrol engine fitted to the frame. It could hit 25 along the flat and high teens up a hill. I would draft him along Brixton Rd/Brixton Hill then go for the scalp along Streatham High Road.

The reason I know he's Polish/Russian is because one time I slingshotted past him, stopped at the red lights at the end of Streatham High Road. A few seconds later he pulled up alongside and I asked him how fast it could go. He gave a disgruntled [eastern bloc accent]twenty...twenty five...[/eastern bloc accent] :mrgreen:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    There is a guy that I sometimes see on the local 'shared' cyclepath who is bombing along at about 25mph on an electic MTB......there are peds/kids on the path (path leads to a skate park) and people walking dogs!!!!

Must admit that I have been thinking about shouting 'slow down' as that is a nuts speed with people, dogs and kids about.
  • jodypress
    jodypress Posts: 94
    You lot want to watch out for the DIY electric MTB that frequents Hackney rd area. I came up against him the other week and thought no probs, I'll leave him in my wake. Cruising along at 20mph I had a sneaky feelign he was in my rear 3/4. Took a peak and he was, so I put some serious effort in. Got up to just over 30mph to see him still there and then just smoothly accelerate away. Chapeau.

Finally saw him again a few days later and had a quick chat. He has a top speed of 40+ mph and range of 30miles....impressive for home made.
    Commuter: Litespeed Sienna, DA 7800
    Sunday Best: Cervelo S2 DA 7900
    Winter Hack: Cannondale Badboy discs for those really snowy commutes
    Spare: Trek 1200 (ali) with 9sd 105
    HED V04 TT being built