Reverb lever sticking

slimboyjim
slimboyjim Posts: 367
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a 12 month old Reverb and have had no issues until yesterday - I depressed the remote and pushed the seat down only for the lever to stick 'in'. The post will now not extend back up.

I run the lever under my bars and it will still slide back smoothly if you pull it (it is then sucked back in by the pressure). Due to this I can say that the lever has not been bent. Given that it is sucked back in I assume there is no leak in the system? There is no kinks in the hydraulic line and the seatpost is clamped with light pressure (the same pressure that it has been at for months with no issues). I also run a homemade cover over the post itself to prevent contamination (an old inner tube).

I have to hold my hands up and say that I've not yet tried to rebleed the system or check the air pressure with a shock pump but hope to do so later when I've palmed the kids off on the missus!

I've looked all over the internet and can't find anything similar to this - has anyone else experienced this or know anything about it?

Worst case scenario I understand the warrantee is 2 years and I can send it off, but just wanted to check it's not anything stupid first...

Thanks,

James

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    i reckon air pressure check, then bleed if not cured....in that order :) I'm sure you are right with the warranty too
  • slimboyjim
    slimboyjim Posts: 367
    Mystery solved - thought I'd post it up here for reference... Thanks for the advice Ricardo but I unearthed the issue before I got round to checking pressures/bleeding (thank goodness!)!

Upon taking the Reverb out of my frame I noticed that the rubber cover where the hydraulic cable enters the seatpost had a small amount of oil on it. I (literally) touched it and it moved away from the post. It turns out that the piece of metal (barb?) that fits inside the hydraulic cable had snapped. It makes sense when you think about it - the lever stopped working when the pressure went.

I think it is probably due to having an inner tube covering the post - one of the 'wrinkles' has caught the cable and pushed it to an angle when the seat was lowered (whether this was a sudden failure from the cable being bent once or a long term failure that has been working away for a while I'm not sure) although I have read somewhere or other that this connector was known to be a weakpoint and has been redesigned for 2012? Anyway, take note of how the routing is affected when the seat is collapsed if you make/use any sort of cover...

Anyway, I need to contact Wiggle/Fisher now to see how I go about repairing the issue - It should be a quick job as it's only the barb that goes into the hose that requires replacement so we'll see!

James
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Part Number Description
    11.6815.022.010 Hose Barb Reverb Post, Qty 1
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er