Fred Whitton & Time-Crunched Training

Eddiethegent
Eddiethegent Posts: 2
There are ten weeks to go untill the start of 'The Fred'. Assuming a two week taper, I've got eight weeks of quality training to try and improve my chances of surviving the course.

I've done a fair amount of base training over winter and dropped my weight to 71kg (although I could afford to loose another 5kg from my waist). I was planning to do the Experience Century plan from Carmichael's Time-Crunched Training in the next eight weeks but I'm now having second thoughts - the plan is heavy on intense intervals but there are no prolonged climbing sessions, and I've heard that there may be one or two small climbs on the Fred!

So what should I do? Ditch the TCTP on the assumption that its better suited to flatter sportives and stick with a mix of endurance and hill repeats with some Tempo and interval work thrown in for good measure. Or should I blindly follow the TCTP and hope that the magic happens on the day?

Comments

• What are you tapering for? lol
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've just started doing some intervals, funnily enough, ready for the Fred. If you've got some good endurance then strength work is a good idea, as the benefits are significant, and the Fred hills need good, punchy strength. I'd still try to fit in a good, long hard ride once a week though, if you can, just to keep the endurance up, and your head in the right place.

Two week taper sounds a lot. I'm going to do two four-week blocks, then a week easy, then the race.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    Interesting reading this. I am also doing the FW this year (my first time), & am putting together some kind of (cunning) plan...as Baldrick might say. However, due to work committments i don't get as much time on the bike as i would like. My basic training route is a decent 35 miler with 1300m climbing (although this can easily be increased with a few hill reps), which i don't think is too bad considering i live in North London.

I have two rides booked for this month (75 & 80 miles), then in April i have 3 booked (80, 80, & 100 miles), the last of which is the 29th & that should be testing 100 miles. If i am honest i didn't get out at all in December or January, paetly due to illness (bronchitis) but also due lack of motivation & poor weather so i am kind of playing catch up. I have a good level of base fitness so it qon't take me long to get back to where i was. I can do a decent training route max 3 times a week, maybe chuck some indoor trainer workouts in there too i poss. I currently weigh 12 stone but will aim to lose half a stone at least by the time of the ride. I am no speed merchant, i guess i usually average 16 mph when my fitness is up & am in shape

Does this sound sufficient or can i do anything else to prepare?
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    The point of TCTP is that it can get you to sportive fitness if you have less than about 8 hours to spare for training. It targets threshold performance which is what you want for climbing. If you have the book have a look at p42 T&Cs for fuller info. If you have more time then you can probably benefit from some longer rides.
    Unfortunately it probably doesn't prepare your head for the realities of long climbs in the Lake District :shock:
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    I've just started doing some intervals, funnily enough, ready for the Fred. If you've got some good endurance then strength work is a good idea, as the benefits are significant, and the Fred hills need good, punchy strength. I'd still try to fit in a good, long hard ride once a week though, if you can, just to keep the endurance up, and your head in the right place.

Two week taper sounds a lot. I'm going to do two four-week blocks, then a week easy, then the race.

Just to tell you, its not a race :P
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    maddog 2 wrote:

It is to some people. I've heard people telling their mates how well they did in a 'race' only to find out that they were talking about a sportive or reliability ride :-s
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    oh yes... I forgot :?

Can I race myself though?

The thing I love about the Fred is that it's such a technical challenge, on many levels. The hills are tricky - both up and down. Getting your fuelling and hydration takes experience too. Then you've got issues such as the weather and road surfaces. Plus you have to put full-on efforts on some of the climbs, which can play havoc with your endurance and power later on. You may have done full-on efforts in training but maybe not as part of a long ride. All in, it tests so many aspects of your skills and training.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    If all you want to do is survive the course then dont worry, you will. Its only a bike ride. I managed to do it in 8 hours summat the first time I did it and that was with a hellish cold, a shit bike with a double chainset and flat pedals and the furthest I'd ridden previously was 45miles in one go. Fair enough, alot of my riding is on the actual course since I live in the area so was used to riding steep hills.

Obviously my time was poor but I still got round. If you're aiming for a good time then worry about training, if not just go and enjoy it.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    styxd wrote:
    I managed to do it in 8 hours summat the first time I did it ...Obviously my time was poor but I still got round.

I wouldn't say poor. Everything's relative. My first ever Sportive will be the Fred. After a 20 year gap from cycling I got back on the bike last Autumn and have trained right through the winter. My realistic target completion time is way over 8 hours. If I do it in any number of hours without a hospital admission I'll be thoroughly delighted.
  • GarryM
    GarryM Posts: 77
    I wouldn't recommend 'blindly following' the TCTP but if you are really limited to 6 hrs or less per week then you could do worse. You might do better incorporating some of the TCTP into your own plan which would include some longer rides. As others have said, also depends how fast you intend to ride Fred as to how 'scientific' you want to be with your training.
  • Bordersroadie
    Herbsman wrote:
    It is to some people. I've heard people telling their mates how well they did in a 'race' only to find out that they were talking about a sportive or reliability ride :-s

Gasp! Oh, the horror! Imagine a mere Sportivist trying to pass himself off as one of those superior human beings, a real BIKE RACER!!! And even the, wait for it. . .r e l i a b i l i t y riders do the same, oh, dear me, what a scandle!

Hey, it's a good job we have trumpet-blowers like roadmeridaben and herbsman to remind us not to get ideas above our station. . .

Might I recommend that you visit the cake stop section, you might like to "pass some time" reading the "girls in. ." threads. A much better way of letting out some of your excess testosterone than bothering non-racing cyclists.
  • Herbsman wrote:

Gasp! Oh, the horror! Imagine a mere Sportivist trying to pass himself off as one of those superior human beings, a real BIKE RACER!!! And even the, wait for it. . .r e l i a b i l i t y riders do the same, oh, dear me, what a scandle!

Hey, it's a good job we have trumpet-blowers like roadmeridaben and herbsman to remind us not to get ideas above our station. . .

Might I recommend that you visit the cake stop section, you might like to "pass some time" reading the "girls in. ." threads. A much better way of letting out some of your excess testosterone than bothering non-racing cyclists.

An OTT reaction, all I did was correct him by saying it wasnt a race.
    I didnt criticise the event itself or sportives for that matter, you sir are a tit!
  • Bordersroadie
    Ben, I could be taking you the wrong way but you give the distinct impression that you consider Sportives trivial compared with your racing (eg your recent troll thread especially designed to inflame Sportive fans) because at every possible opportunity (even if it has no connection to the thread) you give us tales of your heroic efforts on the bike, flashing past Ironman riders, setting high average speeds, and other pointless chest-beating.

I don't believe for a minute that your "just to tell you, it's not a race" was anything other than another little dig at non-racers and Sportivists specifically, and another subtle sign that maybe you're being a bit elitist, despite passing it off as banter.

Your original "What are you tapering for? lol" reply kinda seems a bit unhelpful, too, and even sneering, one might say, don't you think?

Why not use your training knowledge to actually help the OP intead of resorting to your usual trolling?
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    So what should I do? Ditch the TCTP on the assumption that its better suited to flatter sportives and stick with a mix of endurance and hill repeats with some Tempo and interval work thrown in for good measure. Or should I blindly follow the TCTP and hope that the magic happens on the day?
    Ten weeks gives you a decent period of time to improve. If it was me I'd do the first option. I've read Graeme Obree and others say that the best method is to make your training the same as your intended event. And "blindly" isn't the way I'd do anything so perhaps you know the answer already.

In terms of duration it is argued that you only need to train at up to 75% of the target distance. Personally, for this kind of event I'd pack in plenty of hilly miles including some really long rides with several big hills, which will help train the mind as much as the body. While few of us have the luxury of loads of spare time I'd suggest that the more appropriate training you do the more you're likely to be able to relax and enjoy the event instead of stressing about how you didn't prepare (remember the 6 Ps). I wouldn't bother tapering until the last few days, and keep the legs turning then too. Some good advice here: http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog/317/cyclo ... sportives/

Some people treat sportives as a race, some like having a target time to aim for while others want to get round. Each to his own, as long as everyone enjoys the ride.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.