Recovery tricks

drewbradley
drewbradley Posts: 2
Hi all.

I'm part of a team completing a challenge in August. We're climbing 3 mountains, cycling almost 500 miles and doing so in just 5 days. For more information you can visit http://3peakscycleuk.blogspot.com/

Our challenge breaks down into this

Ben Nevis + 70 mile ride
150 mile ride
60 mile ride + Scafell Pike
130 mile ride
70 mile ride + Snowdon.

As we are all fairly new to cycling I was hoping someone would have a magic wand to wave that helps us recover so quickly each day is like starting the first! Just in case no such wand exists does anyone have any good tips / tricks for recovering from a long ride.

Tips while riding, finishing the ride, diet ... all welcome!

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Just eat plenty during the rides and also straight after. Don't ride too hard don't let yourself get dehydrated. And get plenty of sleep.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman
    And GET A BIKE FIT! You want to be as comfy as possible on your bikes if you're going to be doing that sort of distance.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    ..........and get plenty of practice in riding up hills!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Do you really want advice or are you just plugging your challenge?
    More problems but still living....
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    amaferanga wrote:
    Do you really want advice or are you just plugging your challenge?
    This.
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    You'll struggle, you'll be in pain, every steep hill you come to you'll get off your bike and walk, you'll also have clipless falls.

I'm not really sure you'll be able to finish it, make sure you've got a helicopter in your saddle bag.
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    Excellent question. I'm interested in any tips too.

To give some context I commute 50 miles three times a week* (something like 12000 ft climbed in total) and at the end of the week I can feel fine or I can feel completely knackered (or anywhere in between).

I know about sleep .. I also know about the window immediately after exercise that's open for approx 30-45 minutes where the body is more receptive to food .. but all ears on any other tips.

I appear to suffer more from physical aches and pains depending on how hard I've been pushing .. where as plain weariness is more to do with the lack of sleep. Not rocket science I guess.

* if anyone wants to sponsor me then drop me a line and I can get my paypal account details to you - no amount too big.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Herbsman
    DEXEDRINE