3 x 20 mile bike rides a week

richard36
richard36 Posts: 346
Hi

Would appreciate some advice.

I'm only able to get out 3 times during the week when I aim to do 20 miles each session. I live in the country so I'm not having to stop for traffic lights or anything like that. Also, there are a variety of routes with some hilly sections (though nothing too steep and long).

I'm wondering what to do to get the best out of these sessions. At the moment I'm riding reasonably hard but nothing flat out. I haven't got a heart rate monitor so not sure what zone I'm riding in.

I'm aiming for improved fitness and speed (my average is about 16.5).

As well as the above I do often go out on a Saturday for a 30 + ride with mates.

Another question is whether I should notice any kind of improvement in fitness/speed doing these kind of sessions and if so how soon?

Cheers

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Try and introduce an interval session at least once a week on one of your rides, e.g. 10 mins hard, 5 mins easy. Repeat 3-4 times.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • richard36
    NapD - it's taking me about 70 + mins to each session so on the day I do the intervals then what sort of time should I be spending warming up before I start the 10 + 5?

Thanks
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Warm up steadily for 10 mins going gradually harder until you are starting to feel like you are pushing on a bit, have 1 min recovery then do 5 mins of 30s very hard, 30s off. 5 mins recovery then start the 10/5. After the last interval just bimble home.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • richard36
    Thanks